thirty-two

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

"Ta-dah!" Kai flashed a small rectangle box that contained couple rings in front of your face. You stared at them as if they were something strange. The way Kai was acting tonight was weird. He was talking more then usual. There was no room for you to talk much seeing as he always interrupted you. In the movie theater, he laughed too hard, even if some of the scene's weren't meant to be humorous. While shopping, he kept on pulling your arm going here and there, showing you the cute clothing that couple's can wear. Even when they went to the norabang, he was singing for most of the night, not giving you room to sing. (Though you did not mind NOT singing at all.) You felt like you were with a different Kai seeing as he was being "all over the place". 
 
Now it was only your first date together, and Kai was presenting you with couple rings. 
 
"Jong In-ah...Wae?" You asked him. 
 
Kai took one ring out and took your hand as he slipped it on. 
 
"Every guy needs to know that your mine. Since you've lost weight, guy's have been staring. I don't like it." Kai said. 
 
You looked at the ring, touching it for the first time, glad that it's a perfect fit. 
 
"Thank-you." You said to him. 
"No matter what, you can't take it off." Kai said. 
"What about when I take a shower?" You asked.
"Even then, you can't...promise me." Kai put out his pinky finger, wanting you to cross with it. 
 
Highly suspicious, you sighed and left Kai's pinky hanging. Instead you put your hand to his forehead to make sure that he wasn't coming down with something. Kai peeked above his eyelids while asking...
 
"What are you doing?" 
"Are you feeling okay?" You asked him. 
 
He took your hand from his head and held onto it. He smiled. 
 
"I'm fine." He proclaimed. 
"Are you sure? You seem a little on edge..." 
"That's because I've been wanting to see you all day." Kai squeezed your hand. 
 
His words sure did know how to make you feel good. Kai wasn't afraid to use sweet talk on you because he knew that you'd like it. But he wasn't sweet talking just because he was making you feel good, it just so happen came out without any thinking. 
 
"Why did you get these rings? We just started dating." You said to him. 
"It's like I said, I want everyone to know that your mines. When you wear this ring, people will see this and think your a lucky girl." Kai said. 
 
The ring was very pretty and looked expensive. You weren't use to such "luxurious" things, seeing as your living in a middle class home. 
 
"When did you get these?" You asked him. 
 
Kai ignored your question and sipped some coffee. He had a lot on his mind. He had been this way because he had to tell you about him going away. He did not want to leave but he knew that there was no way he could get out of this. His father was not the one to negotiate. Once he made a decision, it was final. After all these months of waiting, Kai was going to leave you just before school starts back up. 
 
When Kai did not respond, you felt it was better if you hadn't asked and then sat still. 
 
"Ppang..." Kai said to you off handedly. He was not even looking at you as he spoke. He was being very subtle and serious.
"Yes?" 
"Do you like me?" 
 
He looked to you, waiting for an answer from you. 
 
"Of course." You told him. 
"The last time...I confessed that I liked you. I just wanted to hear you say that you liked me." Kai said with a half smile on his face. 
 
It was quiet for some time and then you spoke. 
 
"Oppa.." You called him this for the first time. 
 
Kai looked at you, surprised but calm, that you called him "oppa". 
 
"I like you." You told him. 
"Do you really? Once you say it, you can't take it back." Kai said. 
"I do...." You laughed at him being childish again. 
 
He faced you and he leaned in again and kissed your lips. You were unprepared, like the first time when he kissed you, and still not familiar with the "right way" to kiss. Kai did the work and let go, not bothered with your lack of experience. 
 
"I wanted to teach you how to kiss..."Kai said with a chuckle.
"Deh?" You said surprised. 
 
Kai touched your cheek and rubbed it with his thumb. 
 
"There's a lot of things I wanted to teach you....but I can't. At least not right now." Kai said. 
 
Now you were clueless as to what he was talking about. 
 
"Ppang....tomorrow...I'm leaving." 
"Leaving? Where?" You asked. 
"To America. My abeoji is sending me over to study...in California." 
 
Your heart sank and your future plans with Kai seemed to dissipate. Shoulders sag, a tearing in your heart, you can't figure out what to say right now. Words could not express what was going through your mind. 
 
"Tomorrow?" You asked. 
"Hmm. Abeoji wasn't too proud with my last grading report. He expects me to do a lot better. When we moved back here, him and I made a deal that I focus on getting into college and playing by his rules. But...lately...I don't feel like playing by his rules. I just want to be me." Kai said. 
 
There were deeper meaning's behind his words as he talked to you about his father that you couldn't understand. You never heard much about him. Kai didn't like to talk about him. 
 
"Anyway...I have to go for awhile....I'll be spending my summer term in America. "
"A-are you coming back?" You asked. 
 
Kai smiled and nodded. 
 
"Of course. What man just abandon's his girlfriend at home? I'll come back to you. Just wait for me." he said. 
 
Thinking about the time when Kai waited patiently to tell you that he liked you made you feel as if you should do the same. Though your liking for Kai had already begun, it felt like it was slipping away.