two.

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

Winter was slowly approaching as fall was winding down from it's pleasant season. Grabbing his new uniform jacket, he easily slipped it on while smoothing out the tie laid on his chest. He took one look in the mirror and made sure that his hair looked just right. It wasn't like 17 year old Kai was trying to make an impression. But he felt as if a nice appearance would make for a nice atmosphere. And of course it was his first day at a new school so he wanted to feel comfortable with his image. After spraying minimal cologne against his broad shoulders, he grabbed his book bag and headed downstairs to where his father was immersed in the Wall Street Journal (An app on his iPAD2) and his mother was eating her breakfast quietly. 
 
Giving his mother a kiss on the cheek he greeted her and then quickly wished her good-bye. 
 
"Jong In-ah, you should eat breakfast before you leave." She said stopping him before he could make it to the front door.
 
"Umma, it's alright. I'll be fine." He assured her.
 
"Jong In-ah, listen to that wise woman. Sit and eat your breakfast." His father replied. 
 
Appa's words were law. So, following, obediently, he set his book bag aside and sat down at the table. His mother smiled at him and declared that she will bring him a bowl of rice. Mr. Kim never looked up from his iPad as his he spoke again. 
 
"Don't make trouble again. Go to school and leave quietly" He declared. 
 
Kai bowed his head and answered respectively. Fully aware of the term's Kai promised himself that he would lead a quiet life for his family's sake.
 
"Yes abeoji."
"I mean it. You need to focus on your academics more if you really want to get into a good college." 
"Yes abeoji." 
"Here you are."  His mother placed a small bowl of rice in front of him and he thanked her accordingly. 
 
* * *
 
Walking to school, Kai thought about how smothered he felt at home. Loosening his tie a little, he felt as if he needed some fresh air. Now was not the time to feel negative. He wanted to attend his new school and greet his old friends once again with a positive feel. As he came to a crosswalk, he waited for the red pedestrian light to turn green. Taking out his iPod, he began to plug in his earphones when he noticed a girl, sitting at the window of a ppang (bread) shop, eating a creme filled bread. He tried to look away, (knowing that it's rude to stare at someone), to find a song that he wanted to listen to. As the pedestrian light turned green, he was able to walk with the large morning commuters whom had filed behind him. Again, his eyes couldn't help but land on that girl who was eating that bread filled with creme. 
 
How did he know that it was a creme filled bread she was eating? The evidence was right on her face. She had creme on her upper lip, and on her nose. As she finished one, she picked up another bread and jammed it in . The sight surprised Kai. He was so astounded that a girl could fit an entire creme filled bread in and down it all in one go. As he continued to watch his walking slowed down. He couldn't walk anymore as he stood at the end of the crossroad into the sidewalk. He saw as the girl now took a half sized carton of banana milk and drain the whole thing.
 
Yes this girl was overweight but that was not the reason why Kai stopped in his tracks. This was the first time he saw such a girl divulge such foods in within seconds. In his mind, it was nearly inhuman. Wiping her face with the sleeve of her school uniform, she stood up and walked out of the shop passing by Kai with her head looking down. Kai tilted his head, not really sure what he had just witnessed. Slowly picking up his pace, he couldn't get the sad image out of his mind. Though she had ate the creme filled bread, she did not look happy. Tracing those thoughts out of his head, he walked towards his new school while blasting his favorite R&B artist.