forty-six

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

Kai arrived at his house, calm but still not happy. Today was the day he knew he had to face his father. While he sat down in the back seat of the car, forced to stay and not able to go anywhere, Kai thought about what he wanted to say to his father and how he was going to say it. For him, being in L.A. opened his eyes and made him think a little deeper about what it is he wanted to do. Kai wanted to be a dancer. A real dancer. He wanted to stay in the states a little bit longer and bring you so that the two of you could be together. Kai wanted to become the best by dancing with the best. He would still go to college, but not to the same ivy league private college's his father wanted him to go to. And he did not want to take over his father's business. 
 
Kai knew his parent would not be the slightest pleased with what Kai would tell them, but he figured it was time to grow up and make his own decision's. Even if he had to leave everything behind. Kai was willing to do so. Kai made his way into the house and was greeted first thing by his mother. She hugged and squeezed him so tight that he thought his bones would break. 
 
"Umma..." Kai said softly. 
 
"My child is home! It is so great to see you. This umma of your's have been growing worried just thinking about you." His mother said placing kisses and lipstick smudges all over his cheeks. 
 
Kai complained quietly and wiped away the stains off of his chin. 
 
"Jaygia Jongin is home!" Kai's mother grabbed him by his arm and dragged him into the family room. Kai's father was reading some paper's when they had came in. At the sight of him, Mr. Kim dropped everything and stood up with a smile. 
 
"I see you made it back in one peace." He commented. 
 
Kai was already annoyed. He did not want to become  upset. 
 
"How was California?" He asked. 
"Hello Aboeji. California was great. I'm grateful for you sending me there." Kai said. 
"Oh really? Then maybe we should have sent you there sooner. I've heard your grades have been decent. Your teacher, Mr. Green I believe, has been saying that your grades are so well that he recommends a top notch college for you. He's willing to write your Letter of Recommendation." His father started. 
 
Kai's mother pushed him into a seat and she happily sat next to him, holding on to her only child's hand. Kai could tell his mother really missed him. He felt a bit sad thinking of leaving her worried about him. 
 
"Actually aboeji, there was something that I wanted to say." Kai started. 
"What is it?" 
"I want to move to L.A. " Kai said. 
 
His parents looked at him quietly for a minute and then his father slowly nodded his head. 
 
"Okay. I guess you can do that. You'll be going to school in L.A...."
"I'm not going to school in L.A. or anyone else. I'm going to become a dancer. I'm going for my dream." Kai said. 
 
Kai's mother loosened her grip on his hand, her jaw dropped. Mr.Kim was speechless as his entire face turned red. Kai knew that his father was about to start getting really mad but he continued on.
 
"For all my life, I've always done what you've wanted to do. Yes I might have slipped here and there but I've always done everything to meet your expectations. Just once, I want to live a life on my own,  the way I want to live it." 
"How dare you say..." Mr. Kim started.
"And another thing...I want to take my girlfriend with me." Kai said. 
 
His mother gasped so loud that Kai thought she would pass out at any given moment. 
 
"Girlfriend? What girlfriend? Did you meet you someone in America?" His mother asked. 
"No...it was here in Korea. Before you all shipped me off." Kai said looking his mother in the eye. 
"If you think that your going to America to just play then you've got it all wrong. We did not send you there to think so foolishly!" His father shouted.
"I'm 18! Don't you think I deserve to live my life the way I WANT TO!?" Kai argued back. 
 
This was the first time Kai had raised his voice to his parents. He knew his father had small anger issues that he should take care of but that did not stop Kai from telling his father what he really felt. * * *
 
Kai was in a taxi on the way to your house. He was solemn. He had a tuff argument with his father that he could not have won. But he did not care. Kai decided that today he was going to do what he wanted to do. When he goes back to L.A. he wanted you to think about coming to him after the semester was over. Already he had plans of renting a studio for the both of you in the thick of downtown L.A., taking you out to all the cool American restaurants /clubs/Karaoke places, spending evenings walking and up and down the Pacific coast watching the sun go down the horizon. Kai wanted you around him.
 
He had text Lu Han that he was on his way to see you and Lu Han had only texted that he wanted to meet him tonight at the dance studio. He wanted to talk to him. Kai didn't think too much of it and turned off his phone. He tried to not think about what he had endured when he had went home and only concentrated on you. Ppang. When he reached your home, he nearly leapt out of the Taxi, straightening his clothes and making sure his breath was okay. He took a deep sigh and pressed the doorbell intercom. 
 
When you heard the doorbell you prayed to god that it would not be Lu Han. You couldn't face him even now, though what had happened between him and you was 5 hours ago. The doorbell rung over and over again. Not standing the sound of it, you stood up and walked towards the door. You took a deep breath and opened the door expecting to see Lu Han. Instead it was Kai. His back was facing you. He was looking elsewhere, clearly distressed. 
 
Your heart dropped. You felt as if you were looking at a ghost. 
 
"Jongin-ah?" You said. 
 
Kai turned around and saw you. His jaw dropped. He noticed how skinner you have gotten and how well you seemed to be. He too couldn't believe you were in his sight. Cooley he looked around and then rested his eyes on you. 
 
"I think I have the wrong house. I'm looking for a chubby girl who hates eating ppang but she eats it all the time." Kai said. 
 
The emotions that you were feeling, you were on the verge of tears. Matter of fact, a single tear dropped down your cheek. Kai smiled and came closer. He took his thumb and wiped it away. Another tear fell and he wiped that one away too. 
 
"Am I your handkerchief or your boyfriend?" Kai teased. 
"Jongin-ah...." You sobbed and buried your face into his torso. 
 
He was surprised by this. But he was really happy. He wrapped his hands around you and kissed the top of your head. 
 
"Ppang...I missed you." He said. 
"I missed you too." You sobbed into his shoulder. 
 
He chuckled, his deep voice rattling in your ears. You missed his laugh, his voice, his tall figure...everything that made up Kai. He was truly the first friend you had ever made ( well beside's Ga Eul.) And you hoped to continue to be friends no matter what. 
 
"You feel different." Kai said as he let go of you. 
 
You continued to wipe away your tears. Kai did the same thing for you. You grabbed his hand and he held on tightly. Though you were happy to see him, you still felt guilt for betraying him. Lu Han had kissed you. Kai had to know. 
 
"What are you doing here?" you asked him. 
"I had came because I had to sort out some issues. But everything is fine now." 
"Issues? What issues?" You asked him. 
 
Kai looked at you, knowing good and well he never really talked about his parents with you. This itself made him feel bad. 
 
"I'll tell you later....in the mean time...I hope you don't have anything planned."
"Why?" 
"I want to take you out. I miss Korean food. You can only eat Pizza and Hamburger's for so long in America..." Kai said. 
 
You smiled but figured you should tell him now. 
 
"Before anything else...there is something you need to know." You say to him. 
"Tell me later...."
"No Jongin...you need to know this now."
 
Kai could sense the urgency in your face and waited patiently.