twelve.

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

Kai had just put on his school tie when there was a knock on his door. Looking at his reflection in the mirror he answered for whom ever to come in. It was his father wearing a big smile while  carrying several booklets in his hands. This was the first thing Kai noticed as his father walked in. Automatically, Kai knew what this "talk" was going to be about.
 
"Kim Jong In, I've heard you've been working hard lately." he said. 
"Mmm." Kai nodded while adding a fake smile. 
 
"Just like you always' wanted me to do." Kai thought to himself. 
 
"Are you enjoying your new school?" his father asked. 
"Yes Aboji. I'm fitting in really well too." Kai said. 
"That's good. It's really important that you build your social skills up. Don't forget what we've talked about. Lately you've been doing good. I don't want anything to mess this up." his father said. 
 
Kai turned to face him and nodded his head again. Of course he remembered when they had their last "serious" conversation. It had been about him staying out of trouble and being diligent towards his parents and everyone around him. His father placed the booklets on his bed. 
 
"I happened to stumble upon a couple of college brochures for you to consider. I see you haven't chosen a college to pursue in yet.." 
 
Kai knew his father did not "stumble" upon any thing. This was carefully thought out and planned.  
 
"I will soon. I just want to make it through my exams first." Kai said to his father trying to reassure him with quick words.
 
"Of course, now would be the right time to be wise and to start thinking of the university's that you want to attend to. With your future racing quickly ahead of you, it's good to be prepared early." His father said. 
 
Kai knew exactly what kind of future his father wanted to him to have. His father was a well known business man with a company that invested in stocks. His father was a top investor with a positive image and ship loads of wealth that could last generations. Intelligent, good looking and strict, Mr.Kim was a respectful and an ideal man in the business world and in the community. In the household, Mr.Kim held high expectations. Especially for Kai. (Which included him walking in his very own footsteps and taking over the company after he graduates from college). But Kai had a different agenda. 
 
He wasn't sure what kind of future he wanted yet. As of now, he was just going with the flow. But his father was not aware of that. What his father was aware of however was how Kai spent his time with his friends instead of studying. Or when Kai was dancing in the streets and involving himself in fights. Not agreeing with his path, Mr.Kim became even stricter when it came down to Kai having a life outside of school. Starting at school in his classroom and then at home. 
 
"Take a look at these later on. Come on... If you are ready, I'll give you a ride to school." His father said with a smile. 
"No, it's okay. I'll be walking to school." Kai said grabbing his book bag. 
"Are you sure? Your school is along the route that I'll be traveling" Mr.Kim asked. 
"Aboji, I'll be fine." 
 
Kai walked out of his bedroom ignoring the brochures on his bed, passing his father yet again feeling irritated.
 
* * *
Walking towards the intersection, to pass the street that lead to school, Kai focused on what was straight ahead of him as he's listening to his i-pod. Trying to forget about his father's interests' in him going to college and all the things his father wanted him to be, he turned up the volume at it's loudest. As he crossed the road with the rest of the morning commuters' beside him, he noticed you sitting at the ppang shop eating bread. This time you weren't shoving food in your mouth. You were eating slowly while reading a comic book. 
 
Kai again couldn't help but smile at the sight. The sad you that had been eating bread on that first day when he had saw you, did this scene no justice. You were eating very much like how a person should eat and smiling while reading something entertaining. Kai had the sudden urge to join you. Forgetting his home problems, he went inside the shop and ordered him a sweet bread with filling and quietly sneaked up behind you. Setting his bread down, he took off his headphone's and placed them in your ears. Startled by this gesture you spun around quickly only to find a grinning Kai. He took the back of his left hand to hide his smile from her. 
 
You took off the ear plugs and calmed down relieved it hadn't been some stranger fooling around with you. Or worse off, the girls from school who liked to bully you.
 
"Your face..." Kai laughed so hard. 
 He spotted some creme on your face again. Kai bent over, trying to control his breathing as he saw the look on your face.
You frowned, upset that you had been scared and that you were being laughed at. You notice as Kai try to control his laughter but he kept on laughing harder. Embarrassed, you quickly gathered your stuff ready to leave but Kai grabbed your hand just in time. 
 
"Yah ppang...where are you going?" he asked. 
 
He had grabbed onto your hand tight. It was slightly cold but after a few seconds it felt warm. Before your heart is given time to react you quickly loosen your hand from his grip. The pull had been so aggressive that you nearly tripped. But just in time (thanks to a table that was nearby) you gained your balance. People around were starting to stare as you and Kai were causing a scene. 
 
"W-what are you doing here?" You asked Kai.
"I just wanted to eat something sweet...I saw you in the window...Were you scared just now?" he asked after calming down.
You notice him sit down next to the seat you had been sitting in and slowly nodded your head. 
 
"Mianhae (I'm sorry). I wasn't trying to scare you off." Kai responded.
"Oh...well...I'll be going..." You said ready to leave at this instant. 
 
Kai stood up, not expecting you to be leaving so soon. 
 
"Aren't you still eating?" he asked before you could make it out the door. 
"Huh? Oh..." You looked back at the half eaten bread that you wanted to finish. 
 
You walked towards it and grabbed a napkin. You took the bread wrapped it up and told Kai that you would eat it on the go. You excused yourself from him and walked out the door. Kai scrambled to gather his bread just to catch up to you. 
 
"I'll walk with you then." he said to you. 
 
You watched as he slowed down to your pace, ready to walk with you. "Why is he still playing this nice card?" You asked yourself. Today he looked as good as any other day. His smile never left your head since yesterday when he approached you. It was almost hypnotizing, the way his lips would separate long and wide and the line's of his lips would curve. "No wonder Ga Eul likes him so much." You said to yourself. 
 
"But ppang...you have some..."
"Eh?" You said coming back to your senses. 
"You have...some creme...right...on your cheek." Kai said. 
 
You stopped walking and try to wipe it off. 
 
"No...it's on the left." Kai said.
 
You try again. Kai couldn't hold back his laughter. He laughed at you and then took his finger and wiped it off. This 2nd dose of skin to skin contact nearly blown your mind. For someone like him...to reach over and wipe off the creme that you had on your face, it was unnatural. It's things you only see on drama's. You watched as he took off the creme on your face and wipe it off on a handkerchief he had in his pocket. He seemed to have been really focused on taking it off of you. His gaze was fixated at that spot that bore the creme on your face. He did not look elsewhere he did not pay attention to nothing else. 
 
"There..." he said when he was finished. 
 
You felt like something was up with him. But, you can't help but warm your heart towards him. You can't help but feel thank-full. Feeling shy, you look elsewhere.
 
"T-thank-you." You said to him. 
 
Kai gazed into your eye's, loving the innocent look you were giving him.That was when he thought about what LAY had told him the previous day. 
 
"Actually, I don't think that girl is okay. I think she might be suicidal." He said.
 
Knowing, this, he knew that he could not sit back without doing anything about it. The smile slackened off his face as he turned serious with you.
 
"Are you okay?" he asked without thinking. 
"Eh?" You blinked twice, not sure why he was asking this now. 
"Are you....alright?" he asked. 
 
You nod your head. Kai nodded his head and slowly turned around to walk with you. 
 
"Why did you ask if I was alright?" You asked after some silence. 
"Oh...I was just....checking..."
"Checking?" 
"I scared you earlier...I was just making sure that you were okay."he said. 
"Oh...I'm fine...thanks." You said to him. 
 
He nodded his head and reminded himself of the bread he had bought and took with him. Taking it out,unwrapping it from it's napkin, he started to eat on it. 
 
"Mmm. This is good." he said to himself. 
 
You, feeling nervous all of a sudden, looked up at him to see him eating the bread. He took small and careful bites. His jaw went up and down as he chewed, showcasing the masculine line's that helped shape his face. His skin was flawless, you noted no acne or skin blotches, and his hair was neatly styled. He had broad shoulder's and his height towered way above your average 5'5 stance. He was skinny and lanky but his face made up for all his thin body lacked. Studying Kai up and down, you take notice of the smallest things about his facial features. 
 
"Want some?" Kai offered you his bread. 
 
He knew good and well you were looking at him. But he wanted to pretend as if he was not paying attention. Kai was use to the girl's staring at him. Usually he would be a bit bothered. But today, he felt now the slightest irritated.
 
"Oh....no....I'm fine." You said, quickly diverting your gaze elsewhere. 
 
Kai smiled at you loving your innocence and continued to eat. 
 
 
"I've never eaten this type of bread before." he said. 
"Really?" You looked at him shocked. 
"Now that I'm tasting it for the first time, it's not so bad." He said. 
 
"I remember the first time I ate a bread with filling. My father had took me to a grand opening of a bakery shop when I was 6. It was in the neighborhood and I was really hungry. He bought me this sweet type of bread with strawberry and whip filling...it was really delicious." he said. 
 
"Do you like filling breads a lot?" he asked. 
 
You bent your head down to look at the ground. 
 
" No." You said. 
 
Kai was surprised to hear this from you. He had saw you that time gulf down two sweet breads. He had thought that you loved bread. 
 
"Why?" Kai asked curious. 
 
You don't really tell anyone why you don't like them. Most people just assumed you enjoyed them because that seemed to be all you ate now a days. When Kai asked  for the reason why, you were thinking of going of just staying silent. But there was something in the back of your head telling you to tell him. Creme bread was only a distraction. It was comfort food. And comfort food became your enemy over the years. Just as you were getting ready to open your mouth, you heard someone call out Kai's name. 
 
The both of you looked up to see Taemin standing there. Taemin noticed you and Kai walking with each other.