thirteen.

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

You and Kai were almost in front of the school when Taemin had spotted the two of you walking together. Taemin frowned at first, wondering why Kai would be walking around with you. Especially after hearing that you could be possibly suicidal. Correcting his disappointed face, he livened up a bit and called out Kai's name. 
 
Kai looked up to see Taemin waving at him. You saw Taemin and everything inside you froze up. You were not expecting him to have been there. Kai waved at his friend. Feeling sulky, you jammed the rest of your bread in your mouth and walked away quickly leaving Kai baffled. Kai wanted to catch back up with you but Taemin had reached him and started to greet him before he could even run off. Taemin patted Kai's shoulder and smiled. 
 
"What's up man." Taemin said. 
"Nothing...what are you doing here? Don't you usually get a ride to school?" Kai asked.
 
Kai diverted his gaze to catch you walking away with your head bent.
 
"Today I felt like walking. Hey, what were you doing walking with that girl?" Taemin asked. 
 
Kai ate some of his bread. 
 
"Who, >?" 
"Is that her name?" Taemin turned around to see you walk quickly towards the corner to where the entrance of the school started. 
"I saw her at the bread shop and we walked to school together. Do you know her?" Kai asked.
 
The two of them started to follow your lead and walk towards school. Some girls passed by the duo hoping to get noticed by giggling amongst themselves or going out there way to wish them good morning. Kai and Taemin issued smiles their way's (much to their excitement) and picked up their conversation. 
 
"She was the one who tried to confess to me." he said. 
 
Kai remembered when Taemin had mentioned that there had been an overweight girl from your class who had confessed to him. He  remembered that Taemin even made fun of her. Knowing that it had been you, Kai felt irritated as he remembered the way Taemin used his hands to draw your shape
 
"Oh her?" Kai calmly responded while trying to hold back his irritants. 
"You said that she's in your class right? When did you start hanging out with her?" Taemin asked. 
"We never really hung out." Kai said. 
"Hey, isn't she the one hyung told us to watch out for? Remember he said something about her being suicidal or something?" Taemin asked proceeding through with his words carefully. 
 
Kai tried to ignore the question as he took another bite. 
 
"Anyway, just be careful of her. You never know what might happen." Taemin said after Kai had not answered.
 
" Hyung, what are you talking about? When I'm with you I have to be careful. I'm not always sure of what your capable of." Kai smiled and patted Taemin's shoulder as he joked. 
 
Taemin smiled and tried to give him a head noogie. Trying to play it off, Kai became settled as the two horse-played until they approached the gates of their school. Kai's homeroom teacher was patrolling the students coming in, inspecting them from head to toe to make sure they were in line with the school dress code. Taemin quickly tucked in his shirt while Kai got rid of the rest of his bread and straightened his tie.
 
"Gentlemen come in quickly." Kai's homeroom teacher motioned them inside using his large meter stick. 
 
"Deh." Taemin and Kai responded together while the girls beside them ogled at their cuteness.
 
* *  *
 
Taemin was having lunch with one of the two girls that wanted to date him. This one, Hae Jung, had prepared Taemin lunch for the two to share. She had cooked his favorite foods and sat down to feed it to him. 
 
"How is it?" she asked after feeding him a bite. 
"Hmmm...delicious. I like it." Taemin said with the brightest expression. 
 
His smile swooned Hae Jung. That was one of Taemin's tools for grabbing a girl's attention.  It attracted almost everyone. 
 
"Really?" she asked. 
"Deh. I really like a girl who can cook." Taemin said. 
"Really!?" Hae Jung gotten even more excited. 
 
Taemin like Hae Jung. He loved that she always prepared things for them to do or eat. She was thoughtful and her charming looks could not compare with any of the girls in the entire school. Even her pressing opponent that also had her eye's on Taemin as well. But Taemin felt as if Hae Jung was lacking in something. He could not put his hand on it exactly, but he felt as if Hae Jung would not be enough of a girl to make him happy. It was nice that she did things for him but Taemin did not like being treated like a child. Like now, the way she was feeding him another bite of food as if he was a toddler looking for the incoming "Chu-Chu train". This was many of the reason's why he could not choose between Hae Jung and the other girl, Yoona (Hae Jung's opponent),  to date. 
 
"Oh shoot...I forgot the juice..." Hae Jung frowned. 
"Really? Then I'll get it..." Taemin said wanting to get away. 
"Huh? Oh, no you don't have to...I'll just go and get it..." 
 
Hae Jung started to stand up but Taemin took her hand to stop her. Hae Jung looked down at their interlocked hands and into Taemin's pleading eyes. Taemin was throwing his game at Hae Jung right now. He knew the formula to calm a girl's heart.
 
"What kind of man would I be if I allowed the lady to get the drinks? At least let me pay you back for this lunch you've made." Taemin said with a smile. 
 
"But it's only around the corner..."
 
"Noona....I would feel really bad if you do not let me do this. No...I'd be really mad at you if you don't let me do this." he said. 
 
Hae Jung quickly sat down. Taemin had played the "Noona" card. It was a line that almost any older girl (that was interested in him) fell for. Hae Jung included.
 
"Okay...I understand. Go ahead...but hurry back. I don't want your dumplings to go cold." 
"Thanks."  Taemin kissed her hand and stood up to go towards the vending machine. 
 
As soon as she was out of site, he erased the smile off of his face and unloosened the cuffs on his sleeve. He took a deep breath and felt in his pants pocket for some change. He went down the empty hallway and saw you standing at the vending machine getting something to drink. 
 
You did not notice Taemin walking towards you as you were still deciding what to drink. You gazed at the grape, strawberry, mango, peach, banana, etc juices not sure on what to get. 
 
Taemin grew a little impatient as he stood there waiting on you. 
 
"Just pick something already." His voice scared you. 
 
It startled you to the point where you almost fell on your . But luckily, Taemin had rushed over and caught you in enough time. Taemin looked at you concerned as he held you in his arms. You were surprised that he was strong enough to hold you up. 
 
"Are you okay?" he asked. 
 
You never really looked Taemin in the eye before. You always were too nervous too. Today, you felt no different. Even if he had turned you down, you could not find it in you to look at him straight forward. You look elsewhere and stood yourself up. 
 
"I'm fine." You said. 
 
Quickly you put your change in the vending machine to choose a drink. But you were only a couple of coins short. You did not have your card on hand to get your drink. Taemin, getting impatient, he asked how much money you were short. 
 
You told him the amount and he gave it to you. Taemin then decided to talk as you chose your choice of drink. 
 
"Do you like Kai?" Taemin asked. 
 
You could not believe Taemin had asked you such an out of the box question. 
 
"Eh?" 
"Were you walking with Kai because you like him?" he asked. 
"No....he came up to me first." You said. 
"So you don't like him?" Taemin said off handed . 
"Why?" You asked Taemin. 
 
Taemin smiled a little. 
 
"Kai...he's my friend...that's all." Taemin said. 
"And so....you wouldn't want someone like me to like him right?" You said getting agitated. 
 
Taemin looked at you, surprised that you would even say anything back.  You picked a lemon drink and start to walk away when Taemin spoke again.
 
"I didn't say that."
"But you were probably thinking that." You said anyway. 
"You should really stop thinking for other's. It really becomes annoying." Taemin said. 
 
He walked to the vending machine to choose some drinks for him and Hae Jung to drink. Stopping yourself from walking back to class, you turned around, remembering Lu Han's words and decided to put those actions behind his words against his friend here.
 
 
"What's really annoying...are guy's like you." You said. 
 
Taemin stopped putting in money into the machine as he heard what you just said to him. No one had ever talked so rudely to him before. Not even his own friends. 
 
"Guy's like you...with the handsome faces and the snobby attitude. Guy's that can't even acknowledge a woman for her worth and not for her body..." 
 
Speechless Taemin felt attacked. 
 
 
"I understand well what you are trying to tell me. Kai is your friend, yes this I know. The whole school know's. So it would be weird if people start seeing him and I innocently walk together having a conversation...I get it loud and clear. But what I don't understand is how cruel one can be. How harsh your words can be without saying them. I almost feel like a fool for even liking you." You said to Taemin. 
 
Taemin listened to every word that came out of your mouth. It was words he needed to hear. 
 
"I'm a fat girl I know. I can't be pretty as the next girl....I get that I am not the type you would want to be seen with. I now know how much important your image is to you." You said without flaw. 
 
Taemin sneered.
 
"Are you suicidal?" he asked, feeling defenseless. This was all he could use to shut you up. 
 
"What?" You said, feeling your confidence drop down. 
"Did you try to kill yourself?" he asked.