eighteen.

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

Lu Han had spotted you waiting outside the school building by yourself. As he start to think about you he smiled and approached you. When you looked up and saw his flawless free face in front of you, you could not help but gasp. "Has he gotten handsomer ever since that last time?" This time he wasn't looking cold. He had an actual smile on his face. 
 
"Hey..." he said casually. 
 
You looked around, to make sure that this was surreal -real and to certify that he was really talking to you and not to some one behind you. You responded back.
 
"H-hello." You grabbed both of your hands and held them together feeling shy. 
"So....I think you handled yourself well today." He said. 
"Eh?" You asked confused.
 
Lu Han smiled and came closer. He was so close that you could smell the cologne on him. His face was right near yours as he said "The Taemin incident." He pulled back and looked at you holding is friendly expression. The girls around who were on their way walking out of the school gate had started to stop and stare, jealous at what was happening between you and Lu Han. 
 
"Is this even fair? Lu Han oppa notices nobody..." one of the girls said loud enough for you to hear. 
 
Lu Han smiled (ignoring the commentary behind him) and put up the "o.k." sign with his fingers. 
 
"You heard that?" You asked him your eyes wide.
"Mmm."
"You heard....everything?" You asked, even slighting at the hint of the "suicidal" issue. 
"Yes. Everything." He quoted by leaning in once more with his hand opposite of his right cheek. 
 
Your eyes grew wide and you bent your head down. 
 
"Don't believe everything that has been said. Especially that rumor." 
"Rumor?" Lu Han asked. 
"I-it's not like that. I-I would never.....I-I couldn't...." You can't say it all the way because now girls were starting to crowd around the two of you and you were becoming really uncomfortable.
 
"So your not an ugly girl after all...I'm glad." Lu Han said anyway. 
 
Hearing those small words moved your heart. You were use to being called "ugly"and you did for awhile considered yourself "ugly". But Lu Han's definition of ugly had nothing to do with your looks. It seemed he cared more about the inside. Feeling swayed, you blush, avoiding eye contact with him. And with a small wave, he walked away leaving you and the small crowd around you in awe. 
 
"Yah he's so cool." One person said behind you. 
"Oppa is really nice....ahhh I'm going crazy..." Another said. 
 
They all started to run after him, leaving you to yourself. You kind of smiled, feeling good about what had been said until you turned around and saw Taemin walking out of the building with Kai and Yoona. You divert your glance else where, trying to forget what you heard in the bathroom earlier. But you can't help but glance at Taemin and Yoona linking arms and laughing at each other. 
 
Though Taemin was not the perfect guy you had expected him to have been, though he had hurt you with small/little words,  You can't help but feel a bit sympathetic for him. Yoona was playing Taemin to get revenge on an unnie who had done her wrong. Yoona's method weren't the best you told yourself. If she put Taemin through pain, like he had done you, you can't help but feel bad for him. Maybe if you had told Taemin before hand what Yoona's plans were, then it wouldn't be as much painful on the day when Yoona would do the damage. "Why should I protect the person who I can't even stand?" You asked yourself thinking carefully
 
 Kai saw your body turned against the wall, avoiding eye contact. Kai couldn't help but smile at how you shied around from everyone else. Indeed Kai has never made a girl quite like you. He can't help but smile and feel small strings of happy feelings every time that he see's you. 
 
"Hey I'll see you guy's later." Kai said to Taemin and Yoona. 
"Wae? I thought we were hitting the arcades later?" Taemin asked. 
"We will. I'll call you later." Kai had ran off to see you before Taemin could even protest. 
 
Taemin saw as Kai went straight for you and his mood soured. Yoona had saw it too and stopped walking. 
 
"Why is Kai hanging around her?" Yoona asked. 
"I don't know..." Taemin said.
"That girl...she's weird." Yoona said. 
"I'll say..." Taemin muttered to himself.
 
Taemin and Yoona walked out of the school gates while you continued to watch on. Weren't sure with what you should do. Struggling to go against your pride or sit and watch Taemin suffer.  
 
"Ppang!!!" Kai called you out bringing you out of your thoughts.
 
You turned around and saw Kai. He had a big smile for you. 
 
"Oh...Jongin-ah..." 
"Are you ready to go?" Kai asked. 
"Where are you taking me?" You asked him. 
"You'll know when we get there." He said. 
"Huh?" 
"Kaja. (Let's go)" He grabbed your hand and lead you out of the school gate running after him. 
 
Ga Eul had walked out of the school building at that same time. She had been looking for you so that the two of you could walk home. When she scanned the schoolyard, she had finally spotted you, holding onto Kai's hand, rushing out of the entrance gates. 
 
"What....???" Ga Eul was left puzzled. 
 
* * *
"What song do you know the best?"
 
Kai was sitting right next to you in a fairly large Norabang  (karaoke) room, scanning through countless of songs on a large controller. You were quite impressed for different reason's. This was the largest norabang room you had ever been in. This room was big enough for a crowd of 15 to 20 people. With it being just you and Kai, whenever you two had talked, your echo's carried throughout the entire room. Of course the song books and TV screens were large with neon and small laser lights ,befitting of a "party atmosphere", flashing off in different directions . You can't help but enjoy the sight's rather then the singing it self. 
 
"Huh?" You had not been paying attention to anything Kai had said as soon as you had entered in this room. You wanted to soak this all in for the time being. 
 
"I asked you about a song you know? What song do you want to start with?" he asked you. 
 
The thought of you singing scared you. Your eyes widened as you looked at Kai. He saw your expression and chuckled a little. 
 
"You want  me...to sing?" You asked him. 
"You don't have to...but if you really want to thank me, I think you should sing....at least one song..." He said. 
 
You know deep down within that you could not sing. Your voice was shaky and extremely tone deaf. It was so bad that you couldn't even get through the musical chords "do-re mi" well. 
You grabbed onto your throat and tried to make a decision about what you were going to do. You were really grateful towards what Kai and Ga Eul had done for you today. There was no way you could further express your gratitude except by just doing "favor's" for them both. 
 
" J-just....one song?" you asked him. 
 
He held up one finger signaling "one" and nodded his head. There was no way you could get out of this. You just didn't want Kai to think bad of you when you start singing. Kai leaned over and passed you the MIC and the controller to choose a song. You gulped as you took both items and thought of a song you knew very well. 
 
You stood up, and went in front (to where you could see the words on the screen clearly) and cleared your throat. 
 
"I'll sing now." You said to him.
 
The silence of the room came as soon as the echo's subsided. You could only hear the air ventilating through the room as you await for your requested song to play. Kai waited until he heard the music to the "Happy Birthday Song". You gripped tighter onto the MIC, (as if it would relieve the stress you were feeling at the moment) and brought it closer to your lips. The first line of lyrics came and slowly you began.