four.

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

The three flower boys. The Rose. The Viola. The Sunflower.
 
The rose is known for it's attractiveness and fragrant scent. Though the thorns of a beautiful rose are murderous and there to protect it's own. 
 
The Viola comes in the spring, autumn, and winter time leaving a fragrance that comes and goes. 
 
The sunflower is a fiery bloom that resembles' the image of the sun. It's huge and bright appearance leaves an impression of happiness and ease. 
 
Though it's been a couple of weeks since you've been rejected by Taemin Sunbae, you could not find the strength to shake those cruel words he said to you. Though you were use to hearing things like that from other people, you thought that maybe Taemin Sunbae could have been a tad different. He did help you that one time when everyone had been messing with you. From that one situation when that one person just pushed your lunch from your desk onto the ground. Everyone laughed and started to call you names. " Pig." "Slob." "Fatass". The words wounded you over and over again as they continued to pick on you. But it only took one person to stop the name calling. 
 
"Stop being a nuisance. Leave her alone." Taemin sunbae had walked into the classroom with his hands in his pockets. 
 
Almost immediately everyone stopped and turned in his direction as he approached you. Without looking at you, he picked up your lunch and threw it in the trash. Though you were really hungry, starving, you didn't mind him from doing that. He stood up and handed you your container and chopsticks and placed a carton of banana milk and bread on your desk. (Because of that gesture you began to love eating bread and banana milk.) The other girls gasped and glared in jealousy. Taemin half smiled at you and walked away leaving your breath taken away. The way he stood up for you, ever since that day, you've had feelings for him. You already knew how good looking he was and how cool he was, that small gesture had only been the creme of the cake. At least that is what you had thought back then. 
 
But as it had turned out, he was just as bad as the rest of them. There was nothing "different" about him. He was not that same senior who had saved you from that attack. You always had good intentions in trying to thank him but they never succeeded because he was either always busy with a friend or being talked to by a girl. You would even wait for him after his dance rehearsals'. (The one's he would go to after school) But he always seemed to have slipped away without you knowing. (When the dance practices lasted long, you would roam the halls trying to find a vending machine to get some snacks.) Thinking about it just now, you figured there was no way you could thank him now. 
 
As you walk down the school hallways, your head down, your footstep's slow, you try to think about something else. Something that did not remind you of that confession. As you settle into your homeroom class, your friend, Ga Eul, joins you in the seat next to you. 
 
"Good morning." she say's.
"Mmm." You responded half-heartedly. 
 
Ga Eul side glanced you and tried to take her things out so that she can prepare. You could tell she was trying to be careful with how to approach you. Ever since the Taemin situation, she's been walking on egg shells with you around. 
 
"How are you doing today?" She asks.
"How can every next day feel as painful as the last?" You asked yourself more then you were asking Ga Eul. 
Though you did want to forget, you can't stop replaying the scene over and over. 
 
"You shouldn't think about it so much you. It's not healthy." Ga Eul frowned. 
"Ga Eul...will it always be this way?" You ask her suddenly. 
"Eh?"  she asked. 
"Will the guy I like, always reject me because I'm fat?" 
 
You look at her for the first time in weeks and check her almost always honest face. Her expression wasn't good. It was a cross between embarrassment and defeat. Ga Eul looked away and spoke. 
 
"Not every guy in the world is like that jerk." she said. 
"Not ever guy in the world likes a fat girl." You say. 
"But it's not like you can't change it...." But she stopped right where she was. 
 
You already knew what her next choice of words was going to be. "If only you loose a couple of pounds you will be fine." Or "Maybe if you could just eat a little bit more healthier...". It was those same sentences you heard from your family. They tried not to offend you and they would often say that their reason was because they loved you or really cared about you. But you knew better. No matter what, those words will always be the same. There is no nice way to sugar coat them. 
 
"Anyways have you heard..." Ga Eul completely trying to change the subject. 
 
You let it go and buried your true feelings in the back of your head. 
 
"...there's a new transfer student." She finished. 
 
"Oh?" You weren't interested in hearing about a new student.
  
"I hear he's as handsome like Taemin and Lu Han sunbae..." she cut's herself off and try to pick it back up carefully.
"....I also hear he's really close with them. He could be as much as a jerk as Taemin sunbae." Ga Eul scowled to herself. 
 
"Maybe." You say to yourself. 
"Oh...you have something white on your nose.....is that creme?" Ga Eul noticed. 
 
You took out your mirror and looked at your face. Sure enough the creme from the bread you ate this morning was on your face. You took a tissue and wiped it off. The bell ringed and the homeroom teacher entered carrying his folders and a large meter stick. Everyone took their seats as he ordered silence in the room. The bell rung again and everyone stood up alongside the class president to greet the teacher. 
Just as everyone sat down, the door slid open and the person that entered in was a tall boy with a lanky build yet with prince like looks. He had no expression on his face as he came towards the teacher and handed him a white slip. He bowed to the homeroom teacher as he greeted him. The teacher looked at him with a quizzing glance and then at the white slip. Whispers around you arose as everyone had their eye on the new student who stood in front of the class. 
 
"Alright....it seems like we have another addiction to our class. Please introduce yourself." The homeroom teacher said dismissive. 
 
The new student stood up straight and formally introduced himself to everyone.
 
"Ahnnyonghahsehyoh. Joeheereumeun Kim Jongin imnida."( meaning "Hello. My name is Kim Jongin.")
 
He bowed 90 degree's and almost all of the girls swooned in light of his deep voice as he had spoke. 
 
You looked at him as he bowed and stood up straight and tall. He wore no real expression on his face as you were sure he was aware of all the silent praises he was getting from the girls. He was in fact handsome.
 
"Very good. Now, please take a seat next to Choi Ga Eul...Ga Eul-ssi...please raise your hand." The homeroom teacher said. 
 
 
Surprised to have heard her name being called, (and the one selected to sit next to this handsome creature), she slowly raised her hand. Her cheeks flushed red once again as his eyes met her's. She looks away, nervous, and right away he senses that she likes him. He follows her gaze, to see what she was looking at,  and it lands right on you. As he walks a little closer he recognizes you. In his mind, your the bread creme girl. Surprised to see you here, he looks away, not able to stare into your eyes. 
 
 
You watched as he noticed you and the quickly looked elsewhere, a small smile forming on his face. With this action adding to your sulky behavior, you look down at your desk.