twenty-nine.

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

The exams had finally came and everyone was nervous. The school felt like a ghost town as everyone  walked through the halls, to their exam room. Lu Han, whom had been absent for the last couple of days, had came to school to do his exam. Devastated over Lauren's sudden leave, Lu Han felt like a walking corpse. There was no reason for him to smile seeing as he was happy only when he was with Lauren. Girls still gushed over his presence, wanting a smile or any kind of acknowledgement from him. But they weren't going to get any of that out of him. 
 
Ga Eul was less worried about passing her exam. She wanted to to confess to Kai before the long break would begin. She really like Kai and she wanted to mark her claim on him. Kai was very popular these days, hanging out with almost everybody but mostly spending his time with you and Ga Eul. Ga Eul noticed how close you and Kai were getting and wondered if you had liked him also. But the way you were acting around him when you were with Kai was no different then how you would act when you were with Ga Eul. Because of that, Ga Eul didn't think that you would "betray" her by liking the same guy she was going after. But Ga Eul wondered if Kai was growing feelings for you. The way he became so animated around you, was not the same behavior he had when he was around Ga Eul. Around her, he was modest, and thoughtful. 
 
Taemin, had chosen to be with Hae Jung. But, he did not pursue her. After apologizing to you, he became immensely irritated. He couldn't get over how a girl like you could not like him any more. He realized he had been a jerk to you. But he could not help himself. Taemin had changed so much that he could not find any trace of the old him that use to be quiet, shy and considerate. In the beginning he was lonely until he found dance and his best friends. Lu Han, Lay, and Kai. They had helped changed him into the cool guy that he was today. With a change of hair style, a change of fashion, and a change of personality, Taemin became unstoppable and desirable. Girls left and right wanted his attention. Including you, in which such situations he always tried to avoid girls like you. But right now, your confident air, stuck to his brain, not leaving him alone. It bothered him that you did not like him any more, though he knew he shouldn't be. 
 
Exams were over and it was the last day before the long winter-spring break. The Christmas holiday would be approaching in a week or so and everyone felt the major's pressure of  the importance of exam's shrug off their shoulders. They were now given the chance to be free. After the exams ended, Lu Han left school and went straight home. He did not want to talk to anybody or do anything else. Lu Han was hurt really bad. He was so hurt that hadn't talked to Kai, Taemin or Lay. He even stopped showing up for practices.
 
Ga Eul saw Kai talking to a bunch of girls who were swooning over him in the school courtyard. Throwing them handsome smiles, Kai was the center of attraction. The wind rustled his hair in the air and the sun's ray's were directed at Kai as he stood in the middle,  while he was talking with the girls who surrounded him. Ga Eul could feel her heart accelerate at this moment. He was so gorgeous that Ga Eul could not control her feelings. She wanted to march right up to these girls and proclaim that Kai was her's and no one else. Kai looked away from the girls and noticed Ga Eul standing, watching from afar. 
 
"Oh...GA EUL!!!" Kai called over. 
 
Ga Eul looked up at him, and smiled. He motioned for her to come up to him. The girls around issued dirty looks as Ga Eul approached them. 
 
"Oh..Kai...hi..." Ga Eul said. 
"Are you hungry? Let's eat lunch together...I'll pay." Kai said to her. 
"You want to eat lunch with me?" Ga Eul could not believe her ears. 
 
Kai came close to her and nodded his head. The girls around gasped at Kai's flirtatious action. Kai ignored them and only paid attention to Ga Eul. Ga Eul, felt like the most important girl right now. He only had eyes for her. He was asking to eat lunch with her. 
 
"Just you and me?" Ga Eul continued. 
"And ppang too...." Kai added standing up straight. 
 
Ga Eul's shoulder dropped. This was not the reality that she wanted. 
 
"Can't it be without her?" Ga Eul selfishly asked. 
 
Kai looked at her, surprised to have heard that from her own ears. Ga Eul thought this could be the right time for her to confess to Kai. She could not allow another day go without telling him how she felt. She felt such envy for the girls who surrounded him, even for you who seemed to be getting closer and closer to Kai each day. 
 
"Wae? Have you two fought?" Kai asked. 
"No...it's just...I want to be alone...with just you." She said bravely. 
 
Kai knew that Ga Eul liked him. In fact every girl in school liked him...except...you. It seemed as you only thought of Kai just being nice and only a good friend. (He had overheard the later half of the conversation you had with Taemin. He walked in on the part where Taemin asked if you liked him.) He was unsatisfied with your answer. With the feelings that he felt for you, he was liable to become greedy at any time and just admit to you how much he liked you. But he was being patient. He would wait until you become the person you wanted to become. 
 
"Oh....okay then." Kai said. 
 
Ga Eul's face went from straight to happy. 
 
"Really?" 
 
Kai put a smile on his face and nodded. "Kaja." 
 
The two of them went to the lunch room to go and eat lunch. You were coming from your classroom when you saw Yoona and her friend side eye you from across the hallway. You avoid them, walking towards the lunch room, not worrying that Yoona was planning on getting back at you for ruining her plans with Taemin. Yoona was still mad at you. She did plan to do Taemin dirty. But what you did not understand was that Yoona was gaining more feelings for Taemin that were real and not false . Yoona second guess that if Taemin really had confessed to her, then she probably would not have dumped him. Yoona was pissed that Taemin found out as well as pressed as she felt like she could not come face to face with Taemin again. Taemin haven't spoken to her when she tried to speak to him. He did not text her or call her....she was nothing to Taemin. 
 
You walked to the cafeteria and saw Kai and Ga Eul sitting together. They were both sitting across the table from each other, talking and eating. Ga Eul noticed you standing there and her eyes went wide. Kai's head was bent so that he could not see the gestures Ga Eul were making, signaling for you to not join them. Ga Eul mouthed....
 
"I'm about to confess...don't come..." 
 
You nodded at her and smiled. Ga Eul put her thumbs up and concentrated back on Kai. 
 
"She's about to finally do it...how nice." You thought. 
 
But there was a feeling inside of you that felt sad. Your thinking that Kai is really going to choose Ga Eul. Ga Eul was going to get a new boyfriend after today. After today, Kai was going to belong to her...not you. Pushing that thought out of your mind...you walked to the lunch line, with your head bent down. Kai saw you walking to the line and felt anxious. He wanted to come to you and invite you over. But he knew that if he did this, Ga Eul would be sad. Kai knew that Ga Eul had something she wanted to say to him. He was just waiting for her to say it. 
 
"Can I ask you a question?" Ga Eul said. 
"What is it?" Kai asked. 
"Why do you call ppang?" Ga Eul asked.
 
Kai smiled to himself and ate some rice before talking. 
 
"Because...when I first saw her...she was shoving bread down ." Kai said. 
"Huh?" Ga Eul asked confused. 
"I thought she was the type of girl who liked bread. She ate it so much, I thought it'd be fun if I called her ppang." Kai said. 
 
Ga Eul nodded and smiled a little. 
 
", she really is a unique person. She and I been friends for 3 years. Not once has she been called ppang."
 
"You and her been friends for that long?" Kai already knew this information, from when you had spoken to him that night when he had walked you home for the first time. 
 
 
"Mmm. We always encourage each other. She's always thoughtful of me....she's really a good person. If everyone could give her a chance....they'll know she's a likable person." 
 
" You know, I'm going to be giving her dance lesson's over the break...she wants to learn how to dance." Kai said. 
 
"You are? Wait...don't you dance with Taemin and Lu Han sunbae?"
 
"Yep."
 
"Are they going to be around her too?" Ga Eul asked. 
 
"I don't know...maybe maybe not..."
 
"Is it okay if I join for these lessons?" Ga Eul asked all of a sudden. 
 
Kai smiled at her. 
 
"If you can keep up....then sure." 
"Really?" 
"Mmm. Just meet us at this place..."
 
Kai took out a piece of paper and pen and written down the address. He handed it to her and she looked at it, feeling happy. 
 
"Thanks." 
"Eat up..." Kai pointed to her untouched food. 
 
Then he looked up to see you getting food and finding a table to sit at. Ga Eul followed Kai's gaze and saw it directed towards you. She looked back at Kai and noted that he had not taken his eye's off you. Ga Eul figured right now should be the time....
 
"Kai....I like you." She said, catching him off guard. 
 
He looked back at Ga Eul, and saw the sad expression on her face. Ga Eul did not hide her face, she looked at Kai, ready to hear what he had to say. 
 
"Oh...you like me?" Kai said. 
"Yes. I do. So...be mines." Ga Eul said. 
 
Kai looked at Ga Eul and could tell that she was being serious. This was the moment. 
 
"Do you really want to be with me? Even if I have eyes for someone else?" Kai asked. 
 
Ga Eul was taken aback. She had never expected for him to have said that. 
 
"Nugu?" She asked after controlling herself. 
"It doesn't matter who it is...would you still want to date me, even if I'm waiting for someone else?" Kai asked. 
 
Ga Eul looked down at her food. Telling herself that she should have not said anything. 
 
"Kai..."
"I just like it the way we are...just friends." He said. 
 
Ga Eul felt pain in her heart. She looked at Kai and nodded once. 
 
"Okay..."
"Your very pretty Ga Eul. Maybe the old me then....would have said yes. But...right now...I just want to focus on one person..." 
"It's right?" She said already knowing the hurt. 
 
Kai looked at her and sighed. 
 
"She's trying to become something better. And I want to help her any way that I can....as her friend. In a way...she's making me become something better....I use to be a player back then and get in all sort's of trouble...but now, I'm only worried about one thing and one person. And it's her." Kai said. 
 
"You might as well say, you've fallen for her." Ga Eul said to her self. She was dying from the rejection. Ga Eul nodded and looked down, at her food. 
 
"I'm sorry..."
"Kai....you don't have to be sorry for liking someone..." Ga Eul said. 
 
Kai looked at Ga Eul and wanted to finish his meal quickly. She was getting ready to cry. And he was not good with crying girls. 
 
And so this is how the fall came into the winter. The next months, January, February, March....came and went.  Until April came with a twist.