thirty-nine

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

There was so much meat and side dishes set on the table that you felt like you would be in trouble tonight. After Taemin had caught you at the convenience store buying foods that did not follow your diet, you told yourself that you would not go on food binges like that again. But with the delicious aroma of the plentiful food placed in front of you, you felt like you were going to cave hard. Taemin looked at the food with a frown on his face while Ms.Lee looked at them both with smiling faces. 
 
"Eat up well." His mother proclaimed over the table. 
"Umma...was this necessary?" Taemin asked. 
"Of course...I told you this is a celebration dinner.... eat as much as you want." Ms.Lee said. 
 
You looked up at her, sadly and nodded. Half of the things she placed on this table you could not eat because it would coincide with your diet. You looked at Taemin to see if he would support you but he picked up his chopsticks and started to get food to eat. You look back at his mother to see get getting a bowl of rice. 
 
"eodokke, edokke..." you were screaming inside your head. 
 
"Don't just sit there...eat." Ms.Lee said. 
"Umma, she's on a diet." Taemin said as if it wasn't on a big deal. 
 
His mother looked at you and then sighed. 
 
"Girls these days worry too much about their weight that they forget to put something in their belly to help them live...." his mother complained. 
"Umma don't..." Taemin groaned. 
"I know I know..... don't worry about your diet. Just eat comfortably." His mother said. 
 
You smiled and nodded. Apologizing to Kai, Lay and Taemin in your mind, you reached for some pork. You put the savory piece in your mouth and moan in happiness. Your eye's closed, tasting the well seasoned, juicy piece of meat. The feeling was indescribable . You couldn't just eat one. You ate another and another and another. Soon you were stuffing you face and asking Ms.Lee for bowl after bowl of rice. Taemin would look over at you, throwing you dirty glares but you did not care. The food was too good to give up. 
 
There was one last piece of meat left on the table, near the end of dinner and so you reached out to grab it with your chop sticks but Taemin stopped you. You angrily looked over at him. He still frowned and muttered " NO." But you ignored it and continued to grab it. Taemin did not give up. Before you knew it, you and Taemin were fighting with your chopsticks. You were almost winning when Ms.Lee started to yell at Taemin. 
 
"STOP BEING SO CHILDISH!!!
 
Taemin pulled back and you quickly took the meat and put it in your mouth. You smiled happily at Taemin and his mother. His mother looked at you and smiled. You gave her a thumbs up and she did the same. Taemin put his chopsticks down and scoffed. 
 
"What is she? Why is my umma being so nice to her?" Taemin thought to himself.  
 
After dinner you offered to help Ms.Lee with the dishes while Taemin sat in front of the TV Together you and Ms.Lee were having a conversation. She talked about Taemin when he was little and about how much he loved dance. She also talked about how she raised Taemin all by himself after his father was killed in a factory accident before he had been born. 
 
"Taemin never had a real male figure in his life. I thought him all that I could as a mother...but of course that isn't enough. When he picked up dancing and found his friends, that's when he started to change and learn things...he grew up too quick...." His mother said. 
 
All you could do is listen and have your heart go out to Taemin. But because of what happened, you felt that in no way excused his ty behavior when it came down to you. 
 
"Can I ask...what were you celebrating today?" You asked after a small pause. 
"Oh...Taemin has been approving in his grades lately. He's gotten so good that he will be able to study abroad for the school year."  His mother said. 
"Really?" You smiled, glad that Taemin was actually doing something as good as this. 
"Yes....but you seem too enthused. If Taemin was to go oversea's, you'd be okay with it?" His mother asked. 
"Of course. I think it will open up his narrow minded mind if he went elsewhere." You said. 
 
His mother laughed and you laughed along with her. 
 
"So...I guess you don't like my son in that way?" His mother asked. 
"Huh?" You asked her. 
"Taemin....I think he likes you." His mother said. 
 
You froze and looked over at her as if she was speaking something stupid. "Taemin like me? No way...
 
"I don't understand..." you said. 
"I know my son well. Even though he's become a guy that resembles' a jerk with no manner's, I know when Taemin is showing his heart." 
 
You don't say anything as you feel as if this was some kind of joke. "But his mother wouldn't lie....what a dirty way to show your heart." You thought to yourself. 
 
"Taemin was a quiet child before. He didn't say much, and he didn't bother other's much. When he would like someone, he would do exactly that. He didn't confess his feelings but he showed it through his actions." She said. 
 
"Oh really?" You asked, ready to change the conversation. 
 
You did not want to entertain your old thoughts. Taemin was a phase you had gotten over quick. You did not forget the hurt you felt that time when he rejected you. 
 
"But....I think you already have someone else that you like." His mother said. 
 
You looked at her and smiled a little and nodded your head. His mother smiled and touched your cheek.
 
"Of course with a pretty face, you'd be able to grab everyone's attention." She complimented. 
 
You smiled and thanked her. His mother grabbed a dish towel to dry her hands. 
 
"Take it easy on my Taemin. Once he falls, he falls hard." His mother said. 
 
You nodded your head, stressed with the idea of having to be the one to reject Taemin, if this was in fact true. * *  *
 
Ms.Lee ordered Taemin to walk you home. Taemin did not want to go but you persuaded him to walk you home. 
 
"What if someone attacks me?" 
 
Taemin said something rather harsher and gotten hit by his mother. Because of that he was FORCED to walk you home. So now it was the two of you walking towards the convenience store that they shared in their neighborhood. They were getting ice cream treats to top their dinner. 
 
"Are you going overseas?" You asked Taemin after he paid for the treats.
 
Taemin looked back at you. 
 
"How did you know?"
"Ummonie told me." 
"Yah...don't call her ummonie..she's not your mother in law." Taemin said. 
"Ummonie told me to call her ummonie...she must like me a lot ." You joked with Taemin. 
"Shouldn't you be saying that to Kai's umma? As if she would even let you call her that." Taemin sneered. 
 
You looked at Taemin as he said something like that. You never once thought about meeting Kai's parents. Kai didn't talk much about them and you were curious as to why. 
 
"What do you mean?" You asked Taemin. 
 
Taemin didn't say anything as the both of you left the store and continued on the way home. Taemin handed you your ice cream bar and you thanked him. 
 
"Kai's parent's....they are not as nice as my umma." Taemin said. 
"Really?" 
"His father...he's a big business man...his mother, well let's say she doesn't accept just anyone in her family." 
"It's not like I'm marrying Kai..." you said. 
"Your with Kai right?" Taemin asked. 
"Yes....sort of...."
"Sort of?" Taemin asked. 
"Well....he's not here so he's not with me right now..."
 
Taemin stopped walking and faced you. 
 
"Do you like Kai?" 
"Yes."
"Are you his girlfriend?" 
"Yes." 
"Then why can't you just acknowledge that? Why every time I ask if you like Kai you always give the round-about? Always making me curious...chincha...." Taemin rolled his eyes and looked away. 
"Why do you care then? Usually you always brush me off and then ask if I like Kai...why?" You asked him. 
 
Taemin looked surprised to hear that and didn't say a word. He didn't know what to say after that and you felt as if you had caught him off guard. 
 
"I don't...I...."
"Alright then...if you don't care...then don't ask..."
"Kai is my best friend. I won't stand for any girl playing with him.." Taemin said.
"Playing with Kai? I could never..."
"Then why did you and Lu Han leave practice early the other day?"
 
You looked at Taemin and felt angry. You sighed and passed him the ice cream back. 
 
"I'll walk home by myself." You said to him. 
 
Running away from Taemin, you went home all by yourself. By the time you took off your jacket and your shoes, you looked at your hand to see your ring missing.