forty-four

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

 
 Taemin was lying in his bed staring at his ceiling as he thought of you and Lu Han in the street hugging each other a couple of hours ago. Taemin knew that Lu Han was not the type to be hugged up with just anybody. And he knew good and well that you were with Kai. Taemin loved his friends and he did not want to see any of them break up over a girl. Especially over a girl like you who was at first unattractive in his eyes. But the more Taemin got to see you and spend dance practices with you, he had grown to like you. You became prettier with each day that passed in Taemin's eyes and even if he would not admit it, Taemin had fell hard. 
 
Gazing at the ring in his hand (The ring Kai had given you), Taemin sighed and ruffled his hair with both hands. 
 
"What  am I doing?" Taemin said out loud to himself. 
 
He did not want to keep thinking about you but he did and it hurt him. Kai was his best friend and so was Lu Han. And to fall for a girl who's in the middle of them three, the guilt was there. 
 
Suddenly there was a knock on his bedroom door. Taemin closed his eyes and mentioned for his mother to come in.  She had a tray of snacks for them both to share.She had cut up pieces of watermelon  and put it on a green plate. 
 
"Your not ready for bed yet?" His mother noting the school uniform he still had on. 
"Oh? I forgot." Taemin looked down at his shirt and undid a few buttons. 
"What's going on? Ever since you came back you've been really quiet. Have you given 's  ring back like I've asked you to?" His mother asked. 
"Umma..." Taemin groaned. 
 
When you had visited Taemin's house that night and helped his mother wash dishes, your ring had accidently fell off and went into the sink. Because of that unnoticed incident, the pipes became blocked and a plumber had to come and fix it. The ring had came out of the pipe tunnel and his mother had recognized that it had came from you. So she asked Taemin to return it and he was on his way to your house when he saw you and Lu Han. 
 
"Did you?" His mother urged. 
"Umma it's too late. I'll give it to her tomorrow at school." 
 
His mother sighed and then nodded. 
 
"Okay. But she better receive it tomorrow. Help yourself." 
 
She shoved the watermelon towards him. He grabbed a slice and shoved it in his mouth. His mother frowned at Taemin's indecent behavior and scolded at him to slow down when eating. 
 
"Anyway...I looked at that scholarship program your principal told me about. You know? About studying abroad? Aigoooo their willing to give you enough money for room and board....how exciting....my child studying abroad." His mouther smiled so happily but Taemin sighed. 
"I'm not going abroad." Taemin said. 
 
The smile on his mother's face wiped away so quickly that she did not have time to catch herself from choking. After having a small episode, (she was coughing violently from almost choking to death, Taemin bringing her some water afterwards) she slapped Taemin's back.
 
"Are you crazy? Telling me that you won't study abroad? This is the opportunity of a life time..."
"I don't want to do that. I want to be a singer." Taemin said. 
 
There was a long awkward silence as his mother stared into the depth's of Lee Taemin's eyes. 
 
"What?" 
"You heard right...I want to become a singer. I want to dance."
"There is no guarantee that you will make it in the music business, this is about your future we are talking about." His mother said. 
"Umma weren't you the one who told me to live my life, enjoy it, live it like I want it?" Taemin said. 
"When your a grown man paying bills, YES!" His mother scolded. 
"Ummmaaaaaa..."
"Forget it, your studying abroad and that's the end of it." His mother shoved another slice in clearly upset. 
 
Taemin rolled his eyes in the other direction and sighed. 
 
* * *
 
Kai walked through the airport looking for his driver. Wearing clothes of a westerner and brown tinted shades, Kai was turning heads. Girls left and right paid attention to the charismatic human with style and good looks, wanting to sink their claws into this fresh teenaged boy. He was visiting Korea briefly, to report to his parents and would go back to Cali next week. But the only thing on his mind was seeing you again. He could not wait to spend time with you. 
 
He had informed Taemin, Lay and Lu Han that he was coming and told them not to tell you because he wanted to make it a surprise. Taemin waved it away, upset about his mother constantly telling him that he could not audition for SM and that you were playing games. Lay was happy to have heard that he would be back and hoped that Kai could make you happy by spending enough time together with you. Lu Han smiled, relieved that his best buddy was back. However he was troubled. Troubled that their was some serious feelings on his part building towards you. 
 
Kai carried only one luggage and quickly found his driver waiting for him at the entrance. Kai did not hesitate to tell him your address. The driver nodded and bowed, accompanying him towards their car. Kai felt good about being home. He couldn't wait to eat his fav. Korean foods and do things that Korean's normally do. (Living in the states was fun for him as well but him being where he is from, he loved the feeling of being back.) * * *
 
You were looking through college applications in your bedroom. While you try to concentrate on finding a school to attend in the fall, you thought about Lu Han's words. What Lu Han had said to you was right. Though you were upset and he was too, what he said did not anger you so much. Just like that first time when you had met Lu Han, he had been painstakingly honest. Bearing that in mind you, you smiled, thinking of Lu Han. Then you thought of him kissing your cheek that night. 
 
But then another image wrapped in your head. Lu Han was standing right in front of you and there was this glow behind him. He's smiling at you and reaches out his hand for you to take. You want to take it but don't want to betray Kai. Suddenly Lu Han is walking closer and closer until his lips touch yours. You automatically zoom back into the real life, breathing so hard, holding onto your heart. 
 
Just then the bell rings and you stand up to get the door. You want something to get your mind off of Lu Han so you run to the door. When you open, your in shock. Standing there at your door was........
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lu Han.