forty-three

The Flower Boys (Three Flowers)

 

 Lu Han was already at the studio when you had arrived there with Taemin. Lu Han did not pay you any mind as he was enwrapped up in what he was doing. You too tried to avoid him as you clung onto Taemin, annoying him on purpose. Lay had came out of another room and watched as Taemin threw his book bag aside and pushed you aside. 
 
"GET OFF MY BACK!" Taemin yelled over the music. 
 
Irritated, Lu Han stopped dancing and angrily turned towards you and Taemin. He threw both of you evil looks and then turned off the music. You apologized while Taemin strutted off to the side to stretch. Lay laughed at you and came by your side. 
 
"Why are you bothering Taemin like that?" Lay asked. 
"Because, something weird is with Taemin. I think something happened to him. He's been pretty calm all day." You said to Lay. 
"Oh really? Taemin is it true?" Lay asked. 
 
Taemin sighed and looked at him. 
 
"Hyung...if I tell you something, you have to promise not to tell ." Taemin said. 
"Okay." Lay agreed quickly. 
 
Your bottom jaw dropped and Lu Han went to rest for a bit. Taemin came to Lay and whispered in his ear. When Taemin told Lay about being asked to audition for SM Entertainment Lay was surprised. 
 
"Yah really?" Lay asked. 
 
Taemin nodded his head. You had tried to listen in but he Taemin was really quiet. 
 
"Aw man....congrats...I guess." Lay said. 
"What are you two talking about?" You pried. 
 
Taemin looked at you and wrapped his arm around you. Wearing a shifty smile, he told Lay
 
"Make sure you don't tell her." 
"Huh!??? Wae? WAE!!!??" You screeched tugging at his arm.
"Stop being annoying." Taemin scowled.
 
* * * 
 
You did not say anything to Lu Han since he was being really quiet today and did not saying much. You did not know what to expect so you just tried to keep your distance. When you were out the door, leaving for home, you felt someone behind you. You turned around and saw Lu Han there with his belongings. He stopped walking as he saw you looking back at him. 
 
"Hi." he said awkwardly.
 
It was just too cute that you couldn't help but smile and wave at him. 
 
"Your going home?" he asked you. 
"Mmm. Are you?" You asked him.
"Uh...not really. I don't feel like eating dinner at home...I was going to go out for dinner....do you...want to join me?" he asked you. 
 
After yesterday, you felt as if you need to keep the distance. 
 
"Oh...I would but I can't. I have tons of homework." 
"Oh okay then. I guess... I'll..."
 
He walked away, leaving you feeling a bit empty. But you know that what you just did was for the best. Lu Han needs time to heal to himself. You watched him as he was about to cross road. But then again, something made you want to follow him. So you did. 
 
"LUU-HANNNN!!" You screamed across the way. 
 
You ran across the street just in time to catch up with him. He looked at you with a warm smile on his face. This heavenly smile made you want to burst into thousands of twinkling beautiful stars. Lu Han was really handsome. You knew it before, you knew it all those times he talked to you, but now you felt as if you were seeing Lu Han in a way that you would never think you'd see him in before. This feeling, scared you. Yet you could not resist not backing away. 
 
"...I guess I can follow you for dinner." You said after catching your breath. 
 
Lu Han nodded and the two of you started for a restaurant nearby. 
 
* * *
 
Both of you were too busy eating to talk. The food was so delicious that there was no words to describe the emotion's you were feeling. Eating more and more, you could not stop eating this delicious meal. Lu Han did not comment on your hard to get over eating habit. He just ruefully smiled, enjoying your company. 
 
Lu Han couldn't open up as easily to anyone else, but he had with you in a way. He hasn't reveled all of his past to you, but he definitely felt confident and comfortable about telling you certain things. He too wondered when the both of you have became close like this. Then he remembered last night, when he got drunk next to you. He had reached over and kissed your cheek. He did not regret it at all. Even if Kai was your boyfriend, Lu Han did not feel bad about it. 
 
As soon as the bill came, you had took a look at what you had ordered and your mouth dropped. You had not realized you had ordered so much and the cost was something that was going to traumatize your pocket. Gulping, you looked over at Lu Han who was arranging money from his wallet to pay for his bill. 
 
"I can't ask him for any money...I'll be a beggar..." you think to yourself.
 
Fighting with yourself on what to do, you try to remain cool and calm. You took out your wallet and combed through the few bills that were in it. Lu Han noticed the shift from your earlier happy face to your now stressed expression. 
 
"Is something wrong?" Lu Han asked. 
 
You looked up alarmed that Lu Han was asking you this question. 
 
"Uh...uh...." The words could not come out because you were so embarrassed. 
 
Just then the waitress had came back ready take the bills and pay. Lu Han handed his to the woman and then she had turned to you. You cringed and did not move. Lu Han noticed your gaze was on the bill and figured something was wrong. Without permission he took your bill and looked at how much your food had cost. With a blank expression, he took out his wallet again and gave the waitress the amount your food had came up to. 
 
The waitress, a young fresh college woman, smiled shyly at Lu Han, entranced by his blankness beauty, and bowed respectively towards him. 
 
"Thank-you." Lu Han said to the woman and she walked away. 
 
"Lu Han..." you started. 
"Are you ready to go?" Lu Han interrupted your words, wanting to not talk about it. 
 
You wanted to speak again but Lu Han had already gathered his stuff and stood up ready to leave. Speechless you too had stood up and followed him out of the door. Again there was silence as you walked behind him, wandering where he was going to go to next. 
 
"Have you thought about what you are going to do yet?" Lu Han asked, breaking the awkward silence.
 
You sped up a little and walked next to him. Sighing you shook your head. 
 
"Not really." You said. 
"You should soon. You shouldn't be spending your time worried about Kai." Lu Han said to you. 
"I'm not." You said on the defense. 
 
The truth was you were. 
 
"I'm in college, Lay is going to work with some company directors for some dance company, Taemin could become an idol..." 
"Huh? Taemin an idol?" You asked. 
"That's right. Taemin was spotted by a SM recruiter today. She offered him a spot in their auditions. Kai...well...Kai, I think he loves dance too much. I don't think he'll come back for awhile...which leave's you...standing here, with no idea about your future." Lu Han said. 
 
You felt as if you were being scolded and with Lu Han mentioning about the possibility of Kai not coming back for awhile (it was what you feared) really made you sad. You look at your finger, where the missing ring Kai had given you when the two of you became official had been, wishing that you had it on your finger right now. 
 
"I don't know....all I thought about before was just loosing weight...and I'm still thinking about that....right now, I just feel like I want to jump through that hurdle..."
"Not good enough." Lu Han said. 
"Huh?" 
"If I was someone who really care about you, I would say that that's not good enough. You loosing weight was good. Okay then what's next? College? What future do you want?" 
"I just want to be happy that's all." You told him. 
 
Lu Han smiled and shook his head. 
 
"Happiness isn't enough." Lu Han said coldly. 
"For me it is." You said to him. 
"You are so naive...no wonder Kai likes you." Lu Han rolled his eyes and walked away. 
"Kai did not care what I looked like or how I acted when he met me." You told Lu Han. 
"Well good for him." Lu Han said. 
 
Quite frankly Lu Han was digging in your skin and it pisses you off some. 
 
"Why are you so cold? Why do you act as if no one else can't be happy just because you aren't?" 
 
Lu Han stopped walking. Your words were like a dagger to his heart. Upset, Lu Han whirled around and said 
 
"Happy? Don't think everything is all fine just because you went down a couple of size's and captured a man's heart with ppang..." 
 
You did not know how ruff Lu Han could get with his words until now. He brutally told it like it was. It stung his words. Lu Han, trying to calm down his emotions and the sad feelings, he stopped talking. 
 
"I....I don't know what happiness is. My last hope of happiness went back to Japan..." Lu Han said. 
 
You sighed and looked elsewhere. 
 
"My mother....that woman....left me all alone....left my sister with a burden...." Lu Han turned around keeping himself from crying in front of you. 
 
"Happiness is a stranger....you can't live off just that. You need to do more." Lu Han said. 
"I'm sorry Lu Han..." You apologized, realizing the way Lu Han was right now.
 
Without hesitation, you came behind him and hugged his back. 
 
Little did you know Taemin was walking up and saw the both of you hugging on the sidewalk. The ring Kai had given you was in his pocket. Taemin looked and felt disappointment and some sadness. 
 
"It's not right to like her....not her." Taemin kept telling himself. 
 
But when Lu Han had wrapped his arms around you, Taemin turned around, feeling 10 times worst then he'd thought he already felt.