Taking The First Step​​​​​​​

Warm Ice

Taking The First Step

 

 

 

 

 

Previously:

 

 

Stopping at a red light, finally reaching Seoul, Jaejoong took a deep breath holding the steering wheel hard. 

 

‘I won’t give up on that cabin... I’ll go on with my plans whether Yunho is there or not... I shouldn’t care! Yunho is done... it was a nice break, a Christmas fling... it all ends now...’ 

 

Determined to leave it at there and move on, Jaejoong drove to his apartment slowly, relieved that the streets are not that jammed; it’s the next day of Christmas... as he didn’t have to use the brakes a lot with his still sore foot. 

 

******** 

 

The next few days after new year, which was spent alone at the apartment thinking about his next step, Jaejoong busied himself with cleaning up, changing the décor, and repainting the walls with different colors, painting some graffiti on the walls, kicking out any thought of Yunho. 

 

Something like this: 

 

Custom-Photo-Wall-Murals-Flowers-Wall-Painting-Living-Room-Bedroom-Home-Decor-Wall-Papers-3D-Self.jpg​​​​​​​WOMAN WITH FLOWERS 10 Wall Mural by dada22 | Society6 

 

“Finally...” 

 

Sighing with content seeing his new apartment makeover... it was 7 p.m. and he needed to shower and make something to eat before going to bed, as tomorrow is the first day of work after long holiday. 

 

******************* 

 

"I’m really sad to let you go, Jaejoong-ah... but I’m also happy that you are taking this chance to grow bigger... you are always welcome to come back to the firm, if things didn’t work out...” 

 

Leeteuk said holding Jaejoong’s resignation letter. 

 

“Thank you Leuteuk-ssi... for everything!" 

 

Jaejoong said smiling big at his boss. 

 

“I have a favor to ask you Jaejoong-ah... is it alright if you continued working here until Kibum comes from his maternity leave... he had his baby this week and I have a shortage...” 

 

“Oh, that’s good to hear! I'm happy for him! and of course I would... it would take time to settle things anyways..." 

 

“Thank you, my dear...” 

 

 

Jaejoong bowed smiling to his boss as he left to his desk... leaving this firm and starting his own work was his dream and now he is taking the first step to make it happen... reaching his desk, he pulled out his turned off cellphone, that he left there; less than a month ago after breaking up with Hyunjoong.    

 

“Umma..." 

 

Without even thinking, his fingers dialed his parent’s number. 

 

“Jaejoong, honey..." 

 

Smiling hearing his mother’s voice. 

 

“Umma...” 

 

“How is my boy doing?” 

 

“I’m good, Umma... how about you? And Appa?” 

 

“We are good as long as you are... we miss you" 

 

Jaejoong bit his lip, he knows that his parents are worried about him after he broke off his engagement a couple of weeks before his wedding...  but he couldn’t face them...  

 

“I miss you more Umma... I’m sorry I haven’t called... I needed some time alone to sort things out..." 

 

“I understand, baby... you know we are here for you... you don’t need to take in all of that alone...” 

 

“I know, Umma... I love you..." 

 

“We love you more, big guy! Don't get us worried like that again... keep in touch... remember, your Umma and I are always here for you... whatever happens...” 

 

His father’s voice was heard. 

 

“I know, Appa... I... I didn’t say anything before... because I felt ashamed...”  

 

Swallowing hard, knowing that his parents have the right to know... He only told them that the engagement was off and that he and Hyunjoong broke up. 

 

“Appa... Hyunjoong was cheating on me... caught red handed... That’s why I called it off...” 

 

His father sighed deeply. 

 

“Call it a parent instinct, but, both your mother and I didn’t really have any good vibes from him..." 

 

Smiling at his father’s words, his parents weren’t a big fan of his fiancé, he could sense it, but they never went against him, they wanted him to be happy. 

 

“I know, Appa... however, your son is a strong man... I know I deserve better... You taught me so... So, don’t worry about me...” 

 

“That’s my boy... I’m happy you are doing well, Jae... keep in touch and come visit soon...” 

 

“I will Appa... love you!” 

 

Jaejoong swallowed hard, yet a soft smile appeared on his face... his parents were worried at him, yet they gave him his space, waited for him to open up to them about what happened. 

 

“Let’s get things done...” 

 

Holding up his pencils ready to start working and get some sketching done. 

 

******* 

 

“God... I’m so tired...” 

 

Jaejoong stretched his arms and shoulder as soon as he entered his apartment, he left his work around 6 p.m. trying to finish up some postponed work...  

 

Hanging his coat at the door, smiling lazily at the new painted walls, his apartment looks, more refreshed and vibrant with the bright colors he used. 

 

“I’m hungry...” 

 

Mumbling to himself, limping slowly towards the kitchen, his foot got better, but he worked on the apartment nonstop in last few days, and walking on it, trying not to limp at work today and that made his foot ache again... 

 

Thinking of what to make for dinner... checking what’s in his fridge that he filled a few days ago when he got back. 

 

‘Beef sounds good...’ 

 

He thought hearing his stomach gurgle in hunger... pulling out the large chop of meat and some needed vegetables. 

 

‘I need to get some more painkillers...’ 

 

He thought before his doorbell rang, followed by knocks on the door. 

 

“Coming...” 

 

Walking towards his door, wondering who it would be. 

 

“Hello, Jaejoong...” 

 

“Yu-Yunho?!"