What Happened?

Warm Ice

 

What Happened?

 

 

 

 

“Jaejoong...” 

 

Jaejoong, whom was staring through the window at the heavy snow, looked up meeting his host almond eyes. 

 

“You are invited to stay the night over... you know that...” 

 

“No, Thank you...” 

 

Jaejoong answered flatly, ignoring the soft tone the other was speaking with, the party is almost over and most of the guests are getting ready to leave. 

 

“It’s alright... however, what happened?” 

 

Yunho asked his face became serious. 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“You know what I mean...” 

 

Yunho said crossing his arms over his chest. 

 

“I’m sorry, I think I made it clear yesterday that I’m planning to stay in the cabin...” 

 

Jaejoong answered looking away again. 

 

“I wasn’t asking where you’re going to sleep... I asked you what happened?” 

 

Yunho’s tone was tough yet very calm. 

 

“Nothing happened...” 

 

“Jaejoong-ah... Good surgeons know when their patients are nervous or hiding something, and I am a good surgeon... I know something happened tonight... what is it?” 

 

Jaejoong was angry feeling, fooled by the other and now tormented like he is the guilty one. 

 

“If I don’t want to stay the night over in your house, does it mean that something happened?... I think it’s time for me to go back, it’s late... Thank you for the invite... I had a really good time...” 

 

“Will you join us for lunch tomorrow...” 

 

Yunho asked gently but his face was still serious. 

 

“I can’t, my ankle got worse tonight as you saw, I think I’ll spend the day resting tomorrow...” 

 

“Oh... alright... I’ll drive you to the cabin then...” 

 

Jaejoong wasn’t expecting the quick surrender, but he nodded thankfully to him. 

 

‘I guess, I won this round, Yunho...’ 

 

Jaejoong thought. 

 

“I just need to walk the guests out first... want to join?” 

 

Yunho said in his formal tone, which made Jaejoong feel a little hurt yet expected. 

 

“Ok...” 

 

After most of the guests has left, Changmin, Yoochun and Junsu were to stay over in the mansion. 

 

"Feel free to use anything you want in the mansion, guys... I’ll give Jaejoong a lift to his cabin...” 

 

“We will be going to bed, so take you time... and be careful driving in this weather” 

 

Junsu said winking at Jaejoong with a sly smile. 

 

“Don’t worry Junsu-ah...” 

 

Yunho said watching the other wear his boot again. 

 

“It was a pleasure meeting you all, thank you for the nice evening... and Merry Christmas!” 

 

“Merry Christmas Jaejoong...” 

 

Everyone said cheerfully as they wished the pale man a good night. 

 

“I’ll be back...” 

 

Yunho said waving to the rest whom stood by the door. 

 

“let me help you...” 

 

Yunho said pulling the other’s arm gently putting it around his neck. 

 

  “I can walk on my own!” 

 

Jaejoong screeched, feeling their body so close. 

 

“I know, I won’t carry you up in front of them, I know you hate it... but you can’t hop on one foot on the slippery floor... you will probably fall down and worsen the injury...” 

 

Jaejoong sighed knowing that the other is right, feeling his body on fire feeling the other’s torso stuck to his side. 

 

“Alright... I'm sorry... thank you...” 

 

Yunho smiled hearing the other as he helped him limp to the car. 

 

‘Why do I feel awful... I feel like I'm losing...’ 

 

Sitting in the car, Jaejoong looked up, as the other sat in the driver’s seat, turned the car on for the heater to work, then sat back and looked ahead without moving. 

 

“Why aren’t we moving?” 

 

Jaejoong asked to get a grin in return, feeling a little cold. 

 

“We won’t move from here, until I know what happened... the tank is full and we could stay here all night as the heater keeps us warm... are you cold?” 

 

Yunho said noting the other’s trembling fingers, pulling a blanket from the backseat and covered the other. 

  

After 10 minutes of silence, Jaejoong felt irritated and tired, feeling the need to end this and go sleep. 

 

“This is ridiculous! You know that!... Everyone will be wondering what we are doing here!” 

 

Jaejoong said, making the other turn and look at him. 

 

“I lived the 32 years of my life not caring what other’s think of me... and I’m not going to start caring now...”  

 

“So, you live your life on your terms, disregarding others! Don't you?” 

 

Jaejoong said feeling the bitterness in his voice. 

 

“That’s not what I said...” 

 

“But, It’s the truth!... Alright! I’m sorry... but I believe in being faithful to your partner regardless the type of the relationship...” 

 

Jaejoong said crossing his arms looking away. 

 

“What is that supposed to mean? Are you referring that I don’t believe in that?” 

 

“Are you saying that you do?” 

 

Jaejoong replied meeting the other’s eyes again, but the gentle eyes were replaced by cold ones, as the other’s expression darkened. 

 

“Ooooh, Mr. Jaejoong! I have the impression that my morals are questioned here... and I’m not planning to defend myself to you or to anyone else...” 

 

Jaejoong pursed his lips hard looking down frustrated... he hated this, he just wanted to be left alone... why is this getting so hard? 

 

“I don’t know what is going through that pretty head of yours, Jaejoong-ah... But, I do believe that being loyal and faithful to your partner is something essential regardless what the relationship is...” 

 

Yunho said firmly looking the other in the eye. 

 

‘Ugh! What a liar!’ 

 

Forgetting his decision to let it go and move on, Jaejoong couldn’t stop the words from coming out. 

 

“And what about Jessica?! does she agree with you? Or you have different meanings to the word faithful?!” 

 

Jaejoong’s words was followed by silence, making him feel like he had made a huge mistake, lifting his eyes up slowly to meet the other, whom eyes looked cold and void of any emotions. 

 

“Jessica?” 

 

Yunho asked in a weird tone, before he asked with a colder and calmer voice, sending shivers down the other’s back. 

 

“Who told you about Jessica? And what did they say?” 

 

“N-N-No one... two people were talking about it in the bathroom, they didn’t know I was in the stall... I-… they were talking … they-… um... they...” 

jaejoong lost his voice, his brain registering that the other didn’t deny the

woman. 

 

“Yes...?” 

 

The cold tone made him shiver. 

 

“They said, that Jessica will always be there, even when you are with someone else...” 

 

“And?” 

 

Jaejoong bit his lower lip hard, regretting this conversation. 

 

“Nothing much... They just made it sound like... there was a lot of... um?” 

 

Jaejoong stuttered feeling uncomfortable 

 

“Relationships?” 

 

Yunho’s cold tone felt like a knife. 

 

“Yes! That what it sounded like!” 

 

Jaejoong answered not daring to look up, his heart pounding. 

 

‘What else ‘I’m not different from the rest’ would mean?’ 

 

He thought bitterly. 

 

“So, you assumed that I have a lover, yet I go around hooking up with whomever suits me... is that right?... You didn’t even think to come and ask me personally about it... you preferred to freeze us out in the cold!” 

 

Yunho said angrily, clenching his teeth. 

 

‘What have I done?!! Did I misjudge him?’ 

 

Jaejoong thought watching the other’s pissed face. 

 

“I... I... I didn’t... want to... freeze you...” 

 

“To hell with that!” 

 

Yunho yelled before driving the car fast, scaring the other next to him... Jaejoong looked down holding to his chair frightened, knowing he shouldn’t aggravate the other more. 

 

Breathing out when the car stopped in front of the cabin, Jaejoong removed the cover on his lap, his eyes following the other, whom turned around the car to his door, opening it. 

 

“Your foot isn’t that well for you to walk through the new thick snow... I’ll carry you to the door...” 

 

Yunho said his arms already lifting the other, whom stayed quiet and decided not to resist or anger the other more. 

 

“There you go...” 

 

Yunho said letting the other stand on his feet gently in front of the cabin door. 

 

“Th-th-thank you...” 

 

Jaejoong said shivering, his hands trembling as he tried to fit the key in the door keyhole a couple of times before he succeeded. 

 

When the door opened, Yunho turned around and started walking away to his car.