CHAPTER 33: THE MAN WHO KNOWS THE FATHER’S BABY

The Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

                He was just back from his shooting in Hiroshima that night. When he entered his apartment, all the tiredness that he had been holding for two weeks came over him like a rain. Groaning softly, he slept on the sofa in his living room. Right now, he was too tired to go to bed and changed his clothes. He did not know for how long he slept, but he woke up later when someone knocked his door. Squinting his eyes as he scratched his head, he glanced at the clock that was on his wall. It was midnight.

 

“ Who is it?” Toma stood up, walked towards his door. But, nobody replied to his questions. Toma stood in front of his door, afraid to open it. There might be thief in front of his door. Suddenly, a knock came again. Toma was startled upon hearing it. His pulse accelerated.

 

“ Who is it?” This time he spoke louder as he pressed his ears toward the door.

 

“It is me...Toma kun,” His body reacted very fast upon hearing the voice. His feet nearly stumbled when he moved to his door. Clumsily, he opened the door, and he was greeted by the loving woman that he loved for a long time.

 

“Maki chan...what are you doing here?” His brown eyes locked with hers as he said the words. He looked around and saw nobody except her.

 

“ You came alone?” Toma asked as he stared at the woman who wear a long jacket. The woman just nodded while smiling. But somehow, her smile did not reached her eyes. He could see deep in her brown eyes, there were sadness and also the hurtful feeling. It was weird for him because never in his life, Maki would come to see him at his apartment alone before this. If she comes, she would bring someone to accompany her. Someone like Pi.

 

 “What is it, Maki?” Toma could sense it her sadness within her. Maki just shook her head.

 

“Nothing, I....I am okay Toma kun.” Lying! He shouted within himself. Just from her gesture, Toma knew already that the owner of big brown eyes lied to him.

 

“Ne, Toma...can ...can you...can you accompany me for a while,” Maki made a request as Toma gave her a puzzle look. He moved closer.

 

“ Are you sure you are okay,” Toma locked his eyes with Maki. When they were closer, he could feel the woman trembled slightly. Her shoulders shuddered and her lips quivered.

 

“ Toma, what should I do?” Her tears rolled on her cheeks as she said it. Her hands tugged at his shirt leaning closer.

 

“ What should I do.....” This time her sobs were getting louder. Maki leant her head against Toma chest, as more of her tears came down on her smooth face. Slowly, Toma wrapped his arms around Maki, and hold her close in his embrace. Somehow, her cries made his heart ache badly and he could not help soothing it by embracing her, hoping it would ease all the pain away from her.

 

“Shh...shhh...it is okay...” His hands her soft hair. However, the effect was different. She cried even louder, and his shirt was drenched with her tears. They did not know for how long they like that, until she stopped crying and he lose his embrace.

 

“You want anything?” Toma asked when Maki sat on his sofa. Shaking her head softly, she rubbed her puffy eyes. Her nose was still red. Same goes to her eyes.

 

But, Toma decided to give her something. Something that could soothe her broken heart away. He went to his kitchen and made her drinks. While stirring the hot chocolate, thousands of questions came inside his mind. Why Maki came to see him? Why did she cried? Though he persuaded her to tell him, but the woman kept shut.

 

“ Maki chan, this one...” his words stopped as the woman was sleeping soundly when he put a mug of hot chocolate on the table. Sighing softly, he sat and looked at her. Maki squirmed uncomfortably on the sofa, tugging her jacket closer to her, trying to avoid the coldness invaded her.

 

Quietly, Toma carried her to his bedroom and let her slept there. He looked on her peaceful sleeping face while her cheeks. Then he noticed a tear rolled on her cheeks. Maki mumbled something in her sleep softly. Biting his lips, Toma knew too well what she mumbled just now. Jealousy invaded within himself.  Closing his eyes, he felt his heart broken. When can he confess to her that he loves her?. Opening his eyes, he looked again at her, smiling widely as he moved closer to Maki.

 

“I love you.” He whispered the words as he kissed her forehead.

 

 After for a while, Toma went out of the room and sat on the sofa. In his brains, he thought a lot of things. He thought of his confession, and his friendship with Yamapi. He needed to tell the man before he was running nuts for not confessing to Maki. Though Toma knew that Yamapi was already broke up with Maki years ago, but sometime, he could feel that the man is still loving her, like before. That scared him most. That night, he did not know what time he slept, but when he woke up, Maki was already left him alone. But, she cooked him some food and left a note near it. Just simple word. Thank you

 

 

“How long are you going to get shock like that?” Meisa poked Toma’s face. But, that did not change anything.

 

Meisa glanced at Maki, who was sitting on the floor in front of her. The woman was staring at Toma. No expression was on her face. This made Meisa felt very strange. M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter