CHAPTER 19: THE GRANDFATHER AND THE GRANDMOTHER OF THE BABY

The Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

               

Holding close her jacket, Maki was looking at a familiar house. Standing close to the lamp post, she buttoned up her oversized jacket, which it totally hide her 4 months tummy. The glasses which kept slipping from her nose, she took it off and put it inside her jacket pocket. Slowly, she inhaled the air that she used to breathe since she was small. Yesterday, she was called by someone. And the person was not Meisa, but her father. Shock was the only thing on her mind when she picked up the phone yesterday. She admitted that she longed to see her family, since her pregnancy. Maybe, in her condition, she needed to be close to someone that she loved. But, she shoved the selfish thought behind, thinking of her family’s safety from the media. It is the best choice of all.

 

                But yesterday, what welcomed her was rather shocking news. Her father called her for a reason.Marina, your mother is sick right now. Could you please come back for a while? Told her father as she talked with him last night. This morning, she took the first train to go to her hometown, after she met with Jae and asked about few days leave. She even asked Vicky to look at her house if anything happen. Now, standing here, after reaching her hometown, her feet stuck on the ground. Immobile because she was too scared. Too scared for their unacceptable on her. With the baby, however, worried was still full within her brain about her sick mother. With full courage, Maki walked to her house.

 

“Tadaima...” She opened the door and walked in. She looked around and smiled when she noticed the arrangement of her house was not changed.  Maki sat down and started to take off her shoes when someone called her name from behind.

 

“Marina-chan...” Turning around, she saw the woman who had a short hair but had older look. Right away, her eyes were glistened with tears when she saw the woman.

 

“Mother....” Maki choked at her words as she tried to control herself from spilling the tears. The woman, who was standing, started to walk closer to her. As Maki stood, her eyes were already red and the tears were already sliding on her face.

 

“You come back...” said Mrs. Hara. She touched Maki’s cheek and for a while. These last few months, she had been worried and missed her so much. Maki just nodded while shaking her head. tried to shut it from the sounds of her sobs.

 

Her mother embraced her, behind Maki’s back. The reunion was a splendid one since she had been prayed so that her daughter would be safe and come back to her. As she holding Maki’s close, her eyes widened as she felt something between the two of them. Losing her hugs, Mrs. Hara looked at Maki and eyed her daughter on her face. She shifted her gaze toward her daughter’s tummy and looked at it suspiciously. Maki, as if she knew her mother’s reaction, just remained silence. Only sobbing from her could be heard. And it became harder.

 

“Oh my Marina...do you...” But still Maki did not say anything. However, looking from her expression already told her everything. Mrs. Hara immediately embraced her daughter again, her hair while understanding what she had been hiding from them all these times.

*************************************************************************************

                The living room was quiet though there are three people sitting together. Maki shifted uncomfortably, due to the stare that she got from her father. She was now ready for everything that her father going to ask. Clasping her hands together, she lifted up her chin and looked at her beloved parents. Her mother was looking at her husband, who was looking at Maki intently. Nervously, Maki looked at other places except her father. Suddenly, Mr. Hara let out a deep sigh.

 

“Why you did not tell us?” Asked Mr. Hara to Maki. His eyes reflected sadness from his heart. Maki just lower down her head. She felt like a big stone hitting on her head continuously. It is not she did not want to tell them, but if telling them would make it worse, then she preferred other choice.  Even though the choice would make her suffer more than other people that she loved. Finally, she spoke out her thoughts.

 

“I thought it was better for me to carry it alone. Plus, this is the result of my action after all,” As she said it, her nervous started to subside from herself. Even, she could be honest with her own feeling, after nearly 3 months of silence lie about her real condition

 

 Mr. Hara looked at his daughter carefully. Marina that he knew was already grown up and became much matured compare to a few months ago. Looking at her, he got the feeling that his daughter, who will soon to become a mother, changed differently. Somehow, he felt very happy with it though it was slightly hurt when she hid about her pregnancy. Since she was child, the girl was really closed to him rather than her mother. Now, the young girl who used to be boyish before is going to have a child on her own. A child meaning his grandchild.Grandchild...

 

“When is the due?” Maki blinked her eyes a few times when the questions hit on her mind. Did she hear it correctly? Her father did not ask about the father of the baby, neither scolded her for her pregnancy, but asking the due.

 

“Marina...I asked when is the due?” asked Mr. Hara again. Smiling widely, she answered her father question.

 

“This coming spr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter