Happy Ending 🥀

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeongyeon waits for arriving passenger, he prepares early and be the first person that stands before the gate. Soon after, there's an announcement of the plane's arrival from America to South Korea. It quickly brings a wide smile across his face as he sees his brother, walking with difficulty as his bags weighed him.
 

"Mark" Jeongyeon mutters as their eyes meet, the said guy smiles and runs towards him and exchange manly hugs.
 

"Hyung" Mark smiles. Jeongyeon helps him by carrying his bags, which he knows full with informative and confidential papers.
 

"It's been a tough time for you," Jeongyeon says as he taps Mark's shoulder. They walk across the terminal into Jeongyeon's car. "Have you eat?" Jeongyeon asks as they walk pass by a restaurant. Mark shakes his head while rubbing his stomach. A fragrance invokes a long-forgotten memory, the smell of burnt rice coming from the restaurant. From Mark's peripheral view, he could see the chef scolding his junior for burning the rice then the wasted rice is thrown into the trash can.
 

"Can you cook me burnt rice porridge?" Mark started and gives his brother a meaningful smile, hoping that he doesn't open the old wound.
 

Jeongyeon looks at him momentarily. The first meal he ever cooked that taste heavenly that time though now he knows a vomit may taste better compared to that meal but back in the past, the meal that saved them from starvation. And now, no matter how tasty other food is, Mark always come back to the rice porridge as they grew up with it. Jeongyeon hates anything that related to the old memories, as it traps him in invisible barriers that confine and leave him heavy with desperation. But, back then; he was just a child, so immature, pure and insecure. It was a stormy day and he was scared of the sky. With enough pressure though, can change the best of us, including him.


 

"Okay"





 

*  *  *  *

Irene heaves a deep sigh as she enters the room. Blue-grey bricks hold the cold inside the room as if it is collecting it. A single dancing light, projected from the last dying candle, flickered across the walls, moving to an unseen rhythm. To her left is a wood panel wall, separating her space from the other. Though by the room structure, she knows that the wood panel is placed to divide the same room into two parts. One is where she is waiting, and the other is for that man. It's the first time she receives a direct call from him asking if they can meet. With a little bit of hesitation, Irene agrees and soon a message containing an address appears on her phone.
 

Irene sinks into the only chair, waiting for his arrival. It's just then, she realizes a white cloth food cover on the table that attached to the wall. She eyed the cloth suspiciously and decides not to touch it. Few minutes pass, her ears perk as she heard a door open and shut, it creaking noise bringing a chill to her spine. It sounds like some dying animal, crying out its pain and sorrow with its last breath.
 

Her heart starts to race, in fear of the unknown and what kind of harm it might bring to her. Or maybe it's just her who's overthinking but everyone is for sure, no matter who can feel the black pitch aura coming from the other side of the room. The sickening feeling in her stomach makes things worst as if she's badly affected by those evil aura enveloping and progressively suffocating her.
 

The man's approaching footsteps clip-clopped down the bleached tile then she heard him sitting on the chair beside her. Irene glance to the wood panel wall and from the small opening she could see his arm and hand. Irene flinch when she heard a small deafening knock coming from the wall. She does the same, informing him that she is there. Listening.
 

"Your mother will be operated in America by the best surgeon around the globe. She'll be cured. You have my word" When he starts to talk his low, thunderous voice crashes like a wave through the room until the tiny room is filled with only his voice.
 

"Thank you" Irene praise herself that she doesn't stutter.
 

"And, as I've promised" A brown kraft paper slides from the small opening in the wall with a plane ticket tuck inside a passport- sitting on top of it. Irene put the passport aside and takes the kraft paper, opening the seal. Inside is a stack of printed paper, her grip tightens when she sees her father picture on the first page.
 

"T-thank you" She fails the second time not to stutters as she's filled with grief and misery. Her eyes begin to water causing her vision to be blurry but despite those, she still notices the burning mark on the man's upper arms when he slides the paper. From the small opening if the wall, she could conclude that he is wearing black sleeveless shirts, another few burned mark is visible on his shoulder.
 

"The photographer will track you. You know what to do while waiting for your mother's operation."
 

Irene subtly nods though the man couldn't see her. They've discussed the matter beforehand and her part in his plan. She only follows the command and whether it will work or not is out of her league. "Will he be there?" She asks, questioning the setup.
 

"He will. Or his beloved father will be chased after 1 trillion tax cheats and for burning 60 percent of foreign profits. As someone who starts the project, he must be there."
 

Irene's eyes widen as that large amount of money registered in her mind. She still blames herself to get involved in this messy situation and perhaps if she guards her heart better, she wouldn't be in a chaos dilemma and save her heart from heartbreak. "Please don't hurt him" She pleads.


 

Silence.





 

"It depends, Irene-sii"
 

After that reply, she heard him stands and his short crunch of footsteps sound further and further. Irene springs up and rushes towards the wall, her palms press against it as she brings her ear closer to the wall. Listening, if the man is still there.
 

"Why..why do you help me? For investigating my father's case, for paying my mother's expenses and even me" She finally asks the questions that always disturbing her. The reason she doubts the man is why he willing to help her.
 

Then there it is. Unavoidable nothingness. A quiet that is deafening. The deafness broke with ragged breaths and the beating of a human heart. At least, she knows he is a human with great intelligence and precision, as the master and how everything he plans is smoothly constructed.
 

"I believe, we suffered the same fate Irene-sii" The silence shatters like glass as his deep voice cut through it. From the small gap between the wood panel, she could see the man grin behind the wall. She couldn't comprehend whether it is a sad smile or a wicked grin or maybe both. One thing for sure, this man is dangerous. And Irene mentally noted to let her defence awaken.
 

Before the man left, Irene heard him talking once again, "Ah, I almost forgot. I've prepared a meal for you. Please eat" She turns her head to the food cover then heard a thud of the door closing. Irene has assumed that the guy is nowhere there anymore. She lifts the white piece of cloth and greeted by a hot meal in a white bowl and a spoon sits beside it.
 

'Burnt rice porridge?'






 

*  *  *  *

Chaeyoung has been cleaning out their upper back bedroom, a room that sits virtually empty. When he's done, Mina approaches him with a glass of water and a bucket of paintbrushes. Since they have an empty place in their bedroom, the couple decides to make the room specifically for their child. Hence, the first step is to decorate the room for the baby.
 

"You know, you can leave it to me," Chaeyoung says as he put on the neck loop of the apron on mina and tie it in a knot. Mina smiles and does the same, stealing the chance to hug him while she crosses the apron's tie behind him. Chaeyoung wraps his arms around her waist. He playfully sways their body side to side, letting the nurturing touch of a hug get them out of circular thinking and connect them with their heart and their feelings and their breath.
 

"Let me be. I want to paint too" Mina finally pulls out and raise her chin, pouting as she looks at him. Chaeyoung bites his smiles and follows the girl, pushing his bottom's lips forward while shaking his head in disapproval. Mina whine but soon replaced with a little smirk on her face. Chaeyoung is about to say something, but Mina reaches out and silences him with a quick peck on the lips.
 

Mina laughs and breaks the hug as she brushes past the stunned guy, rooted in his place. She walks across the room to pick up a drop cloth, gloves, and straight-edge screwdriver then return to the cub.
 

"Here," She hands the screwdriver to him while gesturing to the paint can by the wall.
 

"That's a foul" Chaeyoung mutters, talking about how brave she is. Teasing his weakness. He sighs and shakes his head as he pries open the lid of one can, once he has tossed the lid aside, a whiff of chlorine and a strong sense of aerosol filling the room. He stirs the paint carefully, dips the brush, and pour it into the paint tray.
 

Mina takes the rollers while Chaeyoung shows her the sketches he has made for the painting, how he has plans to spray paint a bunch of colourful flowers with light pink as the background and on the other side of the wall shares the same background but with a shadow of a white oak tree and a drawing of a ballerina. Then the ceiling will be in sky blue with a small polka dot. He teaches her how to shades.
 

Chaeyoung starts the work by focusing on the left wall, painting the background while Mina is assigned on the other wall. Sometimes, he glances at her as he set up the spray gun. She stands on a step ladder in the room beside him. Other than being largely pregnant, she is slender. Her thin white arms are a stark contrast to the oversized, paint-spattered brown t-shirt that engulfs her stomach. Her hair is pulled back in a bun, but curly strands dances across her shoulder and upper arms. She wears no shoes, and stand on tiptoes to reach the highest part of the wall, stretching the arches of her tiny feet. She wears a concentrated, calm expression on her smooth face but it doesn't stay long when she fails to reach some part of the wall.
 

Hooking a foot around the opposing leg of the ladder to help anchor her, she leans further to the side. As she extends her arms, stretching her body to the limit "A little bit mo--accc!------" The final word mutates into a horror-stricken shriek when she tilts a fraction too far, throwing the ladder off balance. It pitches sideways, toppling her from her perch. Her hands instinctively wrap around her bump as the last resort to protect her baby.
 

Mina's life flashes before her eyes as she plummeted, her speedy descent ends abruptly and painlessly as the ladder hit with an ear-splitting crash. Stunned that she has miraculously avoided the same messy fate, she opens her eyes to discover she has landed in a pair of sturdy arms.
 

Chaeyoung's expression is troubled. His cheeks muscle stand out as a result of his clenched teeth. He holds her tighter in his arms, one arm under her legs and the other supporting her back.
 

Spontaneously, she buries her face in the crook of his neck where his arms already encircled around it, as she is in the middle of a desperate hug. The horror completely paralyzed her. She doesn't remember being that scared in her life. The thought of what if's Chaeyoung hasn't come in time, she'll definitely in severe injury and only within her knowledge, she herself and her baby almost get killed. The idea of the impact it could bring only makes it worse.
 

She catches her breath and draws away, her thoughts processes sluggishly returned to its normal settings where Chaeyoung is concerned----afraid and upsetting ambivalence. She chuckles awkwardly, snaking his hands from around his neck and presses them against his chest. His eyebrows dip further and Mina becomes aware of blood vessel pulsing in his temple. He's probably mad, upset and most importantly disappointed.
 

"I'm sorry" She mumbles, avoiding his eyes.
 

Chaeyoung could hear the quiver in her voice. His face softens as he let out a sigh. Contrary to what she thought that he's mad, the guy isn't at all. He blames himself for not helping her beforehand, disappointed at himself that he isn't mindful enough to stop Mina from using the ladder.  
 

Mina sneaks a brief peek at his face, smiling when she sees his expression eased. She gives him a thank-you-for-saving-me-kiss on the cheeks. "I'll just watch then. I-I realize I'm no feather" She laughs.
 

"Yes, you are, more like a sack of wet cement" Chaeyoung shakes his head as the penguin swings her feet in annoyance because of his savage statement, making it harder for him to carry her to the only single chair in the corner of the room. He carefully lowering her down then draws a circle around the chair. "No ketchup for a week if you cross this line" Chaeyoung threaten, pointing to the line. Sulking, Mina cross her arms and refuse to look at him.
 

"Do you hurt yourself somewhere?" He adds, examining her when the girl doesn't answer him. After he has made sure that she's fine, Chaeyoung continues the works and by now only the ceiling left. He climbs the ladder up to the ceiling and uses the paint can lid as a stencil to trace out the polka dots circles on the ceiling with a lead pencil.
 

Chaeyoung dismounts the ladder and wipes his sweat with his gloves. He places his hand on his waist as the tiredness takes over him. He turns around, eyes finding Mina but expectedly he's meet with a wet sponge swimming in a paint hitting his face. He groans as he forces himself to open his eyes after that sticky liquid only to witness Mina with her tongue sticking out, mocking him before she runs away.
 

"That penguin" He huffs though he already predicts that Mina won't stay still on the chair and he's gratefully right.





 

*  *  *  *

"No ketchup for a week," Chaeyoung says as he put the omelette rice on the dining table in front of Mina, usually her name and a small heart will be drawn on top of the egg using ketchup but now it just plain nothing.
 

Mina scoff and proceeds to eat while the guy secretly smiles. After all, ketchup isn't safe for pregnancy, since it can be contaminated with the Listeria virus--words from the health care provider which Chaeyoung has planted inside his mind.
 

They eat in silence, then a chorus of birds breaks the drone of the city traffic. Sunlight shines behind the glassy slides door warming the room. The autumn winds already blew keen and the mornings bring them to frost. A little more wait, autumn has sent a love letter to the winter to com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter