Aurora Orphanage 🥀

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Aurora Orphan Home?"

 

Chaeyoung reads the faded wooden signboard, almost lost amongst the weeds. He finds themselves in the middle of the countryside and notices a big tree, impressively wide and full, sitting far behind the sign and is half-covered by it. Come to view also an old church stands on the far east from the orphanage. He gets off the car then jogs to the passenger seat, opens Mina's door to help her out. She smiles and holds his hand, nodding. 

 

"I've seen it on the map, it's the only orphanage here in Jeju. I figured out, it will be an experience to visit them and spends time with the kids" Her eyes sparkling with her words and the guy can't help but to smile. 

 

"So, that's the thing with all the cupcakes, gingerbread, toys and the stationery you asked to buy just now, for the kids?" He asks, eyes pointing to the plastic bags and boxes on the rear seat. Once again, she nods with enthusiasm. Chaeyoung chuckled and proceed to carry all the stuff, each hand are occupied. He arcs an eyebrow when Mina pout while her feet still glued to the ground. She then grabs the plastic bag he's holding.

 

"You don't have to, I can carry----"

 

"I can't hold your hand" She boldly says and slides her arm into Chaeyoung's, almost dragging him to walk as he's still stunned by her statement. As they go inside, some of the kids are playing football around the front, and a few younger ones, boys and girls, sits on a low wall. Chaeyoung scrutinized their faces, one by one and happiness can be seen, which instantly brings a smile across his face. The children stare wide-eyed at this strange man with a big toy giraffe sling over his shoulder. Chaeyoung snaps his head to the side when Mina nugs him, he follows her eyes as she watches someone approaching them.

 

The old lady is wearing a brown, ankle-length dress cinched at the waist by a white "cord" and paired with a black veil. A rosary chaplet hangs loosely around her neck. She smiles at them which they reciprocate then bows to show respect.

 

"Sister Cecilia" 

 

"Welcome" The sister says and gesture them to goes inside the long wooden house. She prepares them with tea and sweets which they gladly take while she expresses her gratitude upon the couple's presence and for the gifts they brought. They talk for a while before the sister walks them around the place then settle down under an oak tree. Mina and Sister Cecilia is sitting on a bench as they watch Chaeyoung joins the football team, playing with the kids as he laughs along. 

 

The sister looks over her shoulder then to Mina's bump "Your husband?" She asks, her voice sounded light and almost as soft as Mina.

 

Mina looks down, fidgeting with her fingers "Yeah" Hesitancy could be heard within her tone.

 

"Something clouding your mind" The sister states and smiles. "We are disturbed when things happen beyond our control. Have faith in yourself and you'll overcome it" She taps her hands, calling for Mina's attention and she succeeds. "Don't be scared. Follow your heart" 

 

Mina nods to the words and gives an assurance smile. They back to silence as the only sound that engulfs them comes from the front, where the kids are laughing and screaming in joy. 

 

"I heard there was a fire years ago" Mina starts, opening a conversation based on what she read on an article about the orphanage if people searched the place on the Internet.

 

"Oh, there was, 18 years ago. It's been a long time" Her voice merely a whisper as she takes out a picture from one of her habit pockets, a picture that has been forever with her. Her fingers trail the image, each and every single person "Half of us were killed, including another founder, Sister Anne, Sister Mary, Sister Darlene and Mother Gabriel" It's then when her voice cracks and Mina learns that she shouldn't start talking about the subject. It might be too sensitive.  

 

"I'm sorry" Mina mutters slowly, regretting to jump to the topic from the first place. The sister shakes her head and blinks rapidly, wiping her tears. 

 

"Nothing to be sorry dear. There's no wrong in asking questions to answers curiosity" She's right. Mina presses her lips because it's true that she is curious about the incident that occurred in the place.

 

"What happened?" 

 

Sister breathes out, looking in front as she's reminiscing the tragedy that took half of the children and half of her soul. "It was Wednesday and we were split into two groups for an evening prayer lead by two founders on each group. Mother Gabriel and I was the first group that went to the church but...when we came back, the orphanage was already on fire. It spread all over the place and there was nothing we could do but to only heard the scream in agony and cries that slowly died. I tried to stop Mother Gabriel but she insisted to went inside to save them, asking me to take care of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter