Withered 🥀

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3 Years Later











 

* * * *

Bergen, Norway.


 

Fantastically charming. That's the words that had often left Mina's mouth as she stayed in the centre of seven mountains for so long, embraced by the overlooking sea. It provides the things that she awfully needing; peace, home, warmth and bonus, a dramatic landscape. The place has calmed the storm inside of her, broadens her mind and most importantly, her shelter to escape and hides from her reality and mend her wounded self.
 

But it never really did. When the guilt comes again to haunt her. She'll take in a breath. After all this time it still cuts just as deep, but its visits are less frequent and softer in duration. She won't cry hysterically but the tears just come out in silent whenever she's alone or reminded by a random object or just children running around passing her, spark the pain that she's not trying to forget but own it to make herself stronger, wiser than before.
 

Therefore, she keeps her eyes on the horizon and her mind tuned to create a positive future. Studied her history and learn not to do the same mistakes or she'll be doomed to repeat it.
 

It is no doubt that leaving is killing her soul as sure as a dagger can stop a beating heart. It isn't easy to leave even when it's the only option available. She knows that she already chooses to leave but she can't help to still think about him from time to time


 

Him.

 

There is no stronger glue in all the known universe than true love and she sees in his heart and mind that it is what they share. Yet there are times we must protect the self, protect our own hearts and souls if the damage that love brings is too much. She swore she wanted to walk with him through any and every storm, but it was akin to trying to hold a sharp-bladed sword for years as their love keeps betraying them. And though she tried, he broke her, literally, in pieces, in any possible way.
 

During those three years she has started college back and study medical degree. She has been too occupied with works and assignments. Or she purposely busies herself to distract her mind from thinking about him. All of this time, as if they are stranger, there's no interaction between them by phone call, email, third-person or anything. Whenever her sisters or parents contacted her, she never asks about him and they never speak about him either.
 

She knows at the moment of her argument with him, she was blinded by a five-course serving of rage that tasted bitter. The anger burned her on the way out, burning the one on the receiving end. Every time she blew, every mean thing she said, she reckoned the other person deserved it. There was the explosion and then the mental framework afterwards to avoid guilt.

 

That's how she stayed so foolish for so long, so immature, refusing to learn over and over--- sacrificing who her heart chooses, to keep a pristine ego. But that pain, that realisation, when she let it in, was more school than any classroom ever was. If she kept on being angry, how could she love anyone right?
 

In her heart, she retracts all the bad things she ever said, they were never a reflection on him, only her terrified soul had unleashed a demon. He worked hard and she only saw what he could not do.
 

She'll be a terrible liar if she declares that she does not worried about him and his wellness, if she does not miss him, if she does not consume by regret. She only hopes that someone will take care of him, love him, treat him better and lastly...
 

Stay with him until the very end, as she fails to do so.






 

"Hot choco?"
 

Mina train of thought cut off by a deep voice. She looks up from where she is sitting and smiles upon seeing the standing man before her, wearing a red hoodie then leans closer towards her as he grips the couch's armrest for support.
 

"Yes, please." She says in a playful pleading tone. He smiles and nods then walks away to the kitchen. Poorly, as soon as his back view disappears out of her sight, the smiles that once lighten her feature fades away. She is still hesitating by staying with him but the thought doesn't linger for a long time as she reminds herself that he had promised her while she had forgiven him and they are in the process of giving a second chance, another room for a new start.
 

Mina rubs her hands again her arms, warming herself from the chilling breeze. She heaves a deep sigh as she sits cosily by the flame, her feature illuminated by the flickering light, the only one in the room. Though the air isn't smokey, she can smell the pine as it burns, just a faint fragrance to reassure her senses that there will be comfort in the long bitter winter.
 

She raises herself a little and reaches for a desk beside the bright tan coloured couch she's sitting, opens the last drawer and digs a brown kraft paper. She knows exactly what the content is, one that added fuel to the flame. One that had hurt her, one that caused her trust to be broken again. Things that gave her the last push to the edge and she decided to leave. She had kept it for so long, not convinced by what she saw, she's still hoping for an explanation. So reluctant to face the real facts although she knows one day she would face no choice, for she is trying so hard to stop the vicious, secular things her mind is already turning them into. But no matter how she wishfully thinks it is a fraud, the evidence is crystal clear. She's not ready to meet the guy after all those years only to knows the truth and listen to his own words, and spill salt to her open wound.
 

She slowly stands and let the blanket that once engulfed her body falls to the couch as she walks closer to the fireplace. Her grips tighten, causing the paper to cease, this it. Time to let it go, and stop resisting the truth. The longer she keeps it, the deeper it will hurt her when it's proven true. Her grasp loosens as she stares to the flame curl and sway, flicking this way and that, crackling as they burn the dry wood. She then throws it, feeding the brown kraft paper into the hungry fire and watch it burns until all that is left of it is some ash and an imperceptible darkening of the sandy brickwork.





 

===============

|Flashback|

 

"..... Meeting you is my biggest regret"

All she could feel was anger and disappointment, she wants to end them because then she didn't have to trust him, love him. It'll be safer, easier to choose not to stay. And she knows she was hiding the truth from herself, of how much this was really to do with sadness and the scars that just won't heal. She watched as he started towards the door, and stared on his back view getting further and further.
 

"I love you and I'm sorry"
 

Hearing those, the hurricane that storming inside of her almost vanished instantly. She knew her happiness was inside his pocket, once he stepped out from the door, nothing will ever be the same again. No longer she was on her feet, instead, curled to the cold carpet. Her mind devoid of the light he'd given all this time but also the pain. Her thoughts fell into an endlessly repeating loop, 'Is this what she really wants?'
 

As there was a moment of silence, she wants to reply to him, to call out for him but as if someone was choking her, the words won't come out from her dry throat. Her vision started to gets blurry, she knew she will faint when her stomach gave out. It felt like her innards are being replaced by some kind of black hole. Then nausea crept from her abdomen to her head and the world went black. The last thing she saw was him, walking away out of the room and disappeared.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"It's been a week. How much longer are you going to be like this? You only eat a meal a day no more than two spoons only after we forced you." Momo said, an evident frustration lain beneath her tone. She was standing beside Sana who was sitting on the bedside chair, both were staring at their younger sister that lying with a blanket draped over her up until her shoulder while facing the other side of the room. The youngest showed no sign of turning around or speak, only small sniffles coming from her.
 

Momo gritted her teeth as she let out a long heavy sigh "Crying nonstop won't bring your daughter back!" Her voice raised as the younger's behaviour are becoming more and more unacceptable. She earned a fiery gaze from Sana, not only she was yelling to a sick person but also throwing blades with her words.
 

"Momo. Out" Sana commanded as their eyes locked, letting the staring become the next form of communication. Sana's eyes rest, not unblinking but slowed; yet the effect was soft and calming instead of harsh. Momo understands the meaning behind those orbs, despite the unpleasantly rough words Sana just used, Sana's eyes telling her differently, she was consoling her.
 

"You pamper her too much Sana," Momo said then threw her gaze to the youngest "If you that desperate to die. Go and starve yourself" She shook her head and walked away, leaving the room with a thud on the door.
 

Sana sighed deeply and averted her eyes to Mina "She cares for you so much" She uttered softly then caress the younger's arms "I know everything must be hard for you but I know my little sister. She's a strong and smart girl. People say things in anger Mina, even something they don't mean. I know that you're not only saddened by the loss of the baby but also Chaeyoung." She stopped for a second as Mina shifted her position and buried herself deeper under the blanket.
 

"For now, just rest but after you have calmed down, go meet him and have a proper conversation, before it's too late." Sana continued "I'll leave the tray here, better finish it or that jokbal maniac will be mad. You know, she can get scary sometimes" She chuckled and moved the tray of food from on top of her lap to the bedside table "Call me if you need anything".
 

Sana makes a beeline towards the door when suddenly she halted her step and turned around "One more thing Mina, Momo keeps complaining about you being dispirited and it worries her. Mom asked us to give you more time and said that there's no greater pain than a mother who loses her child. I disagree" With that being said, she watched the younger slowly raised her head and face her as the younger's curiosity and confusion peaks in the wonder of what Sana is trying to deliver.
 

"There's no greater pain than parents who loses their child. He suffered the same as you do Mina. I don't think you know that" Sana gave her a faint smile then slowly vanished from the younger eyesight.
 

For a moment Mina was unguarded. She paused, overcomes with the power and effect of what Sana had said. Her sister had shown her other perspective she didn't think really existed. She was too overwhelmed by the wound on her until she can't see him bleeding.
 

She laid her head back on the soft mattress of the hospital bed as she lost in the friction of the mind. If her thoughts were visible they would be an inverse explosion, crazy chaotic turns and twists of light all coming together to one idea, one word. His name. Mina shut her eyes as she makes a note to herself to meet him after she discharged.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The Lexus came to a roundabout with a fountain at the centre, sweep around it, and continue up toward a fantastic wooden house. "I'll fetch you later kay?" Momo said as she rolled down her car's window and looked up to the younger who was standing on the street. Mina bent down a little to lined her face to her sister's and subtly shook her head.
 

"No need unnie. I want to stroll around for a while. And thank you Momo unnie for taking care of me" Mina pressed her lips and bowed her head. She was quite embarrassed after she received the latest scolding from Momo she knew her sister is rarely mad especially towards her. Therefore, whenever Momo did, it meant she really upset her.
 

Momo smiled and poked the mole on Mina's nose bridge "Then treat me jokbal later" She playfully said but the younger who took her words seriously nodded in full enthusiasm which made Momo burst into laughter "I'll get going then"
 

Mina nodded and waved her hands as she watched her sister drove to the bottom of the street then no longer visible in her sight. She looked around the street, there was no other soul except her. She will be coming home under lantern-shine as its golden rays mingle with the first light of a new day, she stood in front of a house, a familiar one. She entered the gate and walked on the rock pathway through the yard. She stopped for a moment and roamed her eyes around.
 

These yards were Chaeyoung's favourite place. Perhaps she had to go far away to appreciate it, but never again. She saw its everyday beauty for the wonder it was and knew this was where he was most at peace. For all the while there was that silvery sheen, even the gold of the daffodils. She closed her eyes, listening to the birdsong and breathed deeply. The sweet smell of flowers cut through the soft scent of the morning's dewy grass.
 

As she uncovered her eyes, she was transported to a visit of her precious memory.


 

"You're playing with fire," He says as I playfully attacking his face with the water spray. He looks quite ridiculous and funny.

I giggles "Then I reckon it's a good thing I've got myself a mighty powerful garden hose to keep that fire from getting out of control" I can't stop grinning as I hold the nozzle tighter, aiming his face again.

"Too late," With a cheeky smile, he charged into the water's cold, wet, arching stream. I shriek as I spin around to flee, dragging the hose behind me. Three long strides and Chaeyoung manages to step on the hose, easily jarring it loose from my grasp, I try to fight but he's too fast. Reeling it in, he takes hold of the still-spraying nozzle as I flee away, still, he caught me. I'm having too much fun, it seems like we're being a child again.



 

Mina smiled. She could still hear their voices and laughter. She was so happy that time, never knew what was awaiting them. She sighed and proceeded walking, unlocking the door of their house. The house was welcoming from the open door to the wide living room. Mina knew the moment she stepped inside, she'll be comforted by a new feeling, one that only the house could give. A place where her lungs choose to fill a little deeper and her heart beat a little steadier.
 

But she's unprepared of what was going to greet her. When she fully inside the house, she stood as gormless as a guppy. Never before had she noticed how time was so much like water; that it can pass slowly, a drop at a time. The last time she was here, she didn't pay attention to her surrounding as it was hard to make out the details in darkness and she was too preoccupied with Chaeyoung's arrival. But now, the words inside the banner that hung loosely on the wall took her breath away.
 

'Do you want to marry me, penguin'
 

He was intending to propose. That night should be a wonderful and historic night. Mina couldn't believe how cruel is fate towards them. They are the villain of her life when everything seems nice, it just came without warning, snatching all she had built, her happiness. It always had a way to part them, putting a test into their relationship more than they could handle until their love broke. Even so, love was powerful, but fate was unstoppable.
 

She slowly walked to the living room, examining the decoration in appreciation of his effort. Candles arranged on top of the table, creating a love shaped with a box of chocolate in the centre, a bouquet of roses sat next to it. She walked deeper until she arrived at the kitchen.
 

Here, exactly where she was standing was where they danced as they were accompanied by the morning light, it was also where they had their first kiss. She smiled warmly at the thought and remembered it precisely. For the time their lips were locked together, her heart fluttered inside her chest. It was a delicate butterfly of a kiss, soft and meaningful. Quite embarrassing to her as she was the one who initiated the moves.
 

Mina shook her head, she was lost in the awakened memories until she forgot the reason she came to the place---to talk to Chaeyoung. She swung her feet to the second floor, in search of the guy then arrived at their bedroom's door. She sighed when she concluded that the man wasn't there, in the house. She startedd to wonder where he might be and hoped nothing bad happened to him since no one seemed to know where he was and to make things worse, his phone cannot be reached. She decided to wait for him as she sat on the bed, looking around the room until her eyes stopped on a brown kraft paper next to her.
 

It was weird. As far as she remembered, the brown paper wasn't visible the last time she was inside the room. Chaeyoung never use those kinds of paper instead he preferred the white envelope except the paper came from someone else, maybe someone posted or delivered it when they were not at home. She took the paper and flipped it around to find any name on it, but the cover was pure empty. Not caring much of the content, she mindlessly unsealed it.
 

Pictures. That was what inside. Her brows arched in confusion not until she identified the person in the photograph. She hated it, the feeling of betrayal. Her trust, her heart wasn't only broken but shattered into fragments more numerous than the stars, whenever she tried to gather the pieces back, again and again, it was crushed. Heavy, the air seemed to be as the agonizingly long as days drew on. She wanted to be denial, she really wanted to trust him but the picture was an evidence of his deception. Seeing proofs of your lover, laughing, spent time, staying together and kissing other woman was enough to break the little hope of her that their love still stands a chance.
 

She awakened from the rage of emotions when her phone rung. She took it out from her handbag, faint smiles crossed her face when she saw the name of the caller.
 

[Oh, Mina. Tzuyu just phoned me and said that Chaeyoung is currently with Airin. Is that how you pronounced the name? Anyway, he is with the housemaid. Might as well meet the maid first and ask her where is Chaeyoung]
 

The line went silent for a beat.
 

[Hello?]
 

"Y-yeah. I'm listen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter