Dilemma

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


A/N: This chapter is divided into two parts since it's too long and I don't want to make a separate chapter. So, you guys can take a break after reading the first part and continue later.

______________________________________
 

|Part I |

 

"I'm very much obliged, Mr Clifton" Chaeyoung extends his left hand to the man in front of him. Mr Clifton smiles and gives a firm shakes. Chaeyoung slightly gestures the couch in his office, offering the man to take a sit. They discuss the second trial regarding the tax evasion accusation in one of Son's company.

 

"Since we plead not guilty, the magistrate had given us the hearing date, a week from today, we need to present evidence that shows you are not guilty or that you have a defence. But from your explanation, we're in disadvantages." Mr Clifton started, studying the file on his hand. "The manager went missing along with the expenses logs and worst the company's records system are being hacked. There's no evidence left" He adds, sighing as he takes his glasses off and put the case file back to the table.

 

"Is there really nothing we can do about it?" Chaeyoung asks, furiously staring the attorney.

 

"We can try using the account statement, though it's a lot of work to do it might help" The man explains, then leaning forward as he elaborates his answers to the clueless Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung sometimes nods as the words registering inside his mind, mentally taking notes of things he needs to do in order to gain valid evidence to win the court.

 

It's seven o'clock in the evening when they finally finish the discussion along with the board of directors in the meeting room. Chaeyoung expresses his gratitude to the directors who are willing to help and understand his circumstances. The guy decides to focus on the tax issues and promises to pay a refund over the missing foreign profits.

 

As he enters his office, Chaeyoung takes off his blazer and hang it on the coat rank before he slumps into the couch. Bleary-eyed and unshaven, he slowly massages his temple in an attempt to clear his minds and stop himself from falling asleep, though his energy is being constantly drained out of him. Weary with the burden of long-closed eyes, the guy glances to his phone and slowly takes it. He stares at the wallpaper, Mina's picture as the display.

 

The ache of longing to be with her echoed through the very marrow of his bones. He never knows that missing someone could take over every fibre of your being and wring you out like a wet sponge every day. It is a torment he's unprepared for.

 

Chaeyoung wonders what she's doing at the moment. Does she eat well? Is she living with her parents? How about their baby. Is their baby okay? Those unanswered questions can easily be solved only if he has the guts to personally calls Mina. But he doesn't nor he receive any rings from the brunette. He purposely stops himself as he knows better, that the time he listens to her voice, he'll instantly run to her, hug her, kiss her and tell her how much he misses her. Not any of them can be done unless the mess resolved, therefore he works days and night to solve the matter as soon as possible.

 

Three weeks.

 

It's been three weeks after their separation. During those times, Chaeyoung spent hours and hours working and although his body begs for rest, he can't. He must work. Or he'll toss and turning and stressing over it through the night. But, today is an exception, probably because of a new way of solving the tax issue or maybe because of the tiredness has reached its limit---coming in both physically and mentally---he has the urge to sleep. Slowly, the guy positions himself lying on his back with both hands gripping the phone, placing it on his chest.

 

Hug time.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Early in the morning, Chaeyoung drives to the nearest cafe, which is more of an English tea shop. The tiny little shop huddled despondent among the huge city buildings. Washed out under the overcast sky, it hunchs in itself, fighting against the drizzle. They serve the tea in real white china pots at round tables that mostly just seated two people. He sits in the corner of the room and orders a cream tea while waiting for his friend who's an accountant manager.

 

"Running late this morning? Wendy ah" Chaeyoung jokes as he watches his friend jogging towards him with apologetic smiles. The girl has chestnut brown hair with blonde highlights falling down her shoulder wearing a simple white blouse and black leggings.

 

"Sorry, got stuck in traffic. That maniac chef keeps arguing that he can't come. You rarely visit here, is his restaurant much more important than friends? Arrogant kid" Wendy complaint while sitting across of Chaeyoung.

 

"Hahaha, don't blame him. I do understand. Just send my regards to him" Chaeyoung laughs as they proceed to have their breakfast while catching up with one another. Chaeyoung clears his throat when he suddenly feels uneasy, alert. He quietly glances around, searching for the eyes he's sure watching him. 

 

"Anything wrong?" Wendy follows his gaze and looks around. Chaeyoung breaks an awkward laugh and brushes it off, saying he just being weird. They stay until lunch talking about random things but mostly business matter. Wendy then bid her goodbye while Chaeyoung stays for another cup of tea, examining the passerby. His eyes then caught a familiar figure sitting in front of his table, only her back view is seen. He shrugs it off and stands, deciding to go back to his office.

 

As he passes the girl's table, she suddenly stands and swings around with a hot coffee in hand. They both bump accidentally, he hisses in pain as the streaming coffee spilt over his white long sleeves polo but his attention diverts to the girl when he sees her wrist burning to a blister. "Oh God! Are you okay?" Chaeyoung says panicky. He takes out his handkerchief and gently wipes the extra coffee stain on her hands. "You need it to run cool Miss---?" He looks up.

 

"Irene-sii?"

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"I never expect to meet you here. What brings you to America?" Chaeyoung asks enthusiastically, happy to meet the girl again. They are having lunch together, sitting across each other.

 

"My mother will be operated here" Irene explains. She takes a sip of her lemonade and glances to the table behind them where it is occupied by a single man, dressing in black, his cap covering half of his face and is holding a DSLR camera. She shifts her gaze to Chaeyoung as she put her glass down. Smiling, she returns the question "What about you?"

 

"Just...some business problem. Long story" Chaeyoung answers, chuckling.

 

"It's okay. Even if you explain. I wouldn't understand a thing" They both laugh from Irene's statement. Like an old friend who unexpectedly crosses path, they talk and share thing, listening intently to one another's story.

 

"About your mother...." A hint of hesitation is visibly heard in Chaeyoung's tone. He's quite unsure whether the topic is rather sensitive to the girl but he cannot deny his curiosity and worries. "...What happened?" Since Irene has never said anything regarding her background, Chaeyoung afraid that he's being ill-mannered. "You don't have to answer me if you don't want----"

 

"Hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver cancer. Third stage" Irene smiles and subtly shakes her head "But there's nothing to be concerned about, she'll be cured and stay healthy"

 

"She will." Chaeyoung assures, tapping her hand that placed on the table "Call me if you need anything, and I mean it. Day or night. Never too busy for a friend" He receives a small nod from the girl. Not wanting to linger around the topic anymore, Chaeyoung changes the subject into something else.

 

"You know, you've promised me." Irene started. Chaeyoung raises his eyebrow, confused.

 

"Dinner. Back when the convenience store was robbed, I invited you for dinner but you said 'next time'" Irene squint her eyes, playfully glaring at him.

 

"Oh yeah, haha I forgot. You can set the date and messages me. Since it's your first time in America, I'll bring you to some great places" Chaeyoung suggest. As they finish eating, they stroll down the street, walking leisurely next to each other.

 

"If you allow me, I want to pay a visit to your mother" He looks at her, pleading with his eyes. The girl chuckles and nods, finding another positive value of him which is--adorable.

 

Just then, Chaeyoung's phone buzz in his pocket. They stop walking as he answers the call. It's from Mr Clifton seeking for him. Hearing their conversation, Irene learns that the guy seems busy explaining the reason for his short stubble beard.

 

"I'm sorry, something comes up. I have to go back to the office. Do you want me to send you home?" He gives a faint smile and offers a ride but the girl refuses, waving both her hands.

 

"I need to go somewhere too. And I don't want to monopolize your time."

 

"You're not," Chaeyoung says firmly. He takes off his coat and put it on her. "You should wear something thicker. Winter is coming." He advises which gain a thankful smile from the girl."Call me if you need anything. Then, I'll see you around"

 

Irene nods and waves as she watches him entering a car, then disappear from her sight. She lifts her right hand that is burned from the earlier accident. A sky blue handkerchief wraps around it with an initial letter embroidered at the bottom of the handkerchief--- C.Y. Irene smiles softly and sinks herself deeper into the quite-big cream coat, smelling his fruity scent.

 

Her smiles fade away and her eyes darken a shade when she heard footsteps nearing. She turns around and stares at the guy approaching wearing all black. "You must be the photographer that he sent. You don't have to follow me when Chaeyoung isn't with me" She walks away, just by thinking of it, brings gasoline in her guts. She's in the dark path, point of no return but only this time, she chooses herself than other's happiness although she knows she'll never forgive herself.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Chaeyoung, as usual sleep in his office, as he thought it will save him more time then going back and forth from the hotel. After night shifts and only a few hours sleep in the day, he thinks he'll be out before his head hits the pillow but somehow it's all backward. After an hour without his thoughts drifting into that welcome free-fall, he was reaching for the pills. Skip meal as he's sometimes too preoccupied in his work. He forgot.

 

He's lying on the couch in a leaden, death-like slumber that, for the moment at least,  is not even perturbed by the presence of Irene knocking countless time before she barges in, worried if something bad happens.

 

The girl sighs and walks closer, placing the packed food on the table before she squats in front of the sleeping Chaeyoung. She smiles sweetly and pokes his cheeks, way to wake him up. And her small effort is not in vain when Chaeyoung unconsciously caught her wrist and holds her hand, hugging it as he keeps mumbling with eye closed.

 

"Hmm, Mina?"

 

Irene's once sparkle eyes grow dim with disappointment. She's not sure whether she's disappointed at herself for expecting something or disappointed at him. Irene pulls her hand from his grip and stands. She makes a beeline to the huge frameless glass wall and draws the curtains, letting the sunshine in as well as providing the man in black across the building to see through the office.

 

She turns around when she heard a small groan. Smiling as she sits across the cub and unpacked the homemade meals she cooked for him.

 

When his vision become clearer, Chaeyoung raises an eyebrow, confused and shocked. "How.....why are you here Irene sii. I mean, so sudden" He sits properly, massaging his temple along the way.

 

"I massage you and call you beforehand but you don't even answer. Good thing I manage to convince your secretary that I'm your friend and he let me in" Irene put the utensil in his hand when she finishes preparing all the foods. "And, I bring breakfast cuz I know you like to skip meals when you're busy"

 

"Ahh, " Chaeyoung awkwardly scratch the non-existent itchy on his nape then diverts his eyes to the piles of tedious paperwork scattered on the brown carpeted floor. He's sure that his phone must be drowned underneath that sea of paperwork, explaining why he doesn't hear her calls. "Sorry. Anyway, thank you for breakfast. And hahaha you're right, I sometimes forget to eat"

 

That day, Irene stay in his office landing a helping hand in anywhere she could besides keeping him company. And afterwards, she has been in his office all week, since the day she had come bringing breakfast, then it's ongoing for every single day.

 

On the tenth day, Irene wanted every other lunchtime they would go for a walk, strolling through the Central Park to spend some quality time, free from the paperwork. Chaeyoung complies, agreeing that it's good to spend time together out of the office. He is thankful for Irene's help and to repay her kindness, every day he'll steal a few hours and brings the girl into some places in New York City such as the art gallery, Museum or at least take her out for shopping.

 

Along the way, Chaeyoung has never forgotten about the love of his life thousands of miles away from him. He'll take a picture whenever he goes to present it to Mina later as well as buying her endless souvenirs.

 

Knowing how Chaeyoung actively engages in his work, Irene pushes aside the thought to ask him to take one day holiday and claim his promise. But the guy isn't that numb and oblivious. He has surprised Irene by inviting her out for dinner together.

 

The restaurant owned by Chaeyoung's friend, giving him the privilege of having the best table without booking two months earlier which is the rules of the restaurant that Chaeyoung easily breaks. It's the
kind of place you get a table on impulse, large mullioned windows, long embroidered curtains, dark walnut tables, flagstone tile floor, tea served from silver trays in white teapots. Very English. As what Irene is thinking.

 

Chaeyoung orders Mushroom soup, bitter greens with tomatoes the size of peas, rare roast beef slices as thin as paper and drinks. He closes the Menu and gives it to the waiter. The servers, all young people dressed in white tunics move wordlessly to and from the table, keeping the platters a glasses full.

 

"I've rung my friend, and he said he couldn't come because he has a shooting today. He's one of the judges for a cooking competition show" Chaeyoung says as he reads a new message on his phone.

 

Irene nods and slightly relieved. Though she wanted to meet the chef, she doesn't want her time with Chaeyoung interrupted by the third person. "When the convenience store was robbed, you offered me a cooking job under your friend. Is it him, the celebrity chef?" She asks.

 

"Yeah."

 

Irene hums "I heard he is a strict, rude, scary person" She whispers in fear that the workers overheard her.

 

Chaeyoung chuckles hearing that untrue viewpoint. It has been going on for some time. "That's not true at all. He just being too honest and don't really like new people. He might look intimidating and superior but he is a childish kid and clueless nature that enjoys eating and a super good artist. For a stranger, he does appear menacing. But once you truly know him, it's the exact opposite"

 

"You can learn a lot of things if you work under his supervision. Definitely, you have to handle his impoliteness and abrasive personality. But if you can break those walls and gain his trust, he's not like what he seems"

 

Irene subtly nods. She admires the chef and hearing how Chaeyoung describes him, the desire to be the chef's junior and receiving his acknowledgement in the field become higher.

 

Shortly afterwards, their food arrives and they eat slowly, exchanging conversation once in a while. "I'll return to Korea tomorrow night, cannot leave my little brother too long. He must be lonely" Irene says.

 

Chaeyoung put down his utensils and stare at her "Tomorrow? That's so quick" He sighs. "I don't know you have a little brother. How old is he?"

 

"7 years old." A faint smile crosses across her face.

 

"With whom he lives at the moment?" Chaeyoung asks, wondering though he feels like a meddler. He wants to get to know her deeper and as long as she willing to tell him, then he guesses it's not a problem "Why don't you bring him along?" He added.

 

"He........" Irene trails off, she avoids his eyes contemplating whether to tell him how hopeless and miserable her life is. "He's a special kid. He hates a new place, it makes him furious and uncomfortable except a park. The only place he feels comfortable. I'm always worried because he love to walks alone at night. Now, he is taken care by my old friend for awhile. I'm always worried because he love to escape from home and roaming around alone at night. Although he'll come back after few minutes, it's still very dangerous" She force a smile and continues eating, lowering her head.

 

Her eyes tell him where the emotions lie. It's a sad, painful smile. Chaeyoung keeps his mouth shut. Based on her reactions, she doesn't seem to feel comfortable and he blames himself for not being thoughtful. "I haven't even met your mother yet. I'll send you to the airport then. Please allow me to do that."

 

Irene raises his chin, again smiling at him but this time her eyes sparkling with pure happiness. Chaeyoung smiles, he truly hopes that those bright stars in her eyes will never fade away, it fits her better than those dull and shallow eyes. He wouldn't even mind being the only candle to lit her life but at the same time, burning himself.

 

If there's anything he could help, then he'll not hesitate to provide the girl's needs. They had known each other for almost a year, and become a close friend. He can see how hardworking and independent she is to support her family. He cannot deny, that the girl is one of those people he really respects, therefore, no matter how close they are he doesn't want to drop the honorifics.

 

After they have finished eating, the servers tell them that it's in the house. Hearing those, Chaeyoung chuckles "Tell the chef, he knows I won't let that happen." Although they refuse his money, he insists on paying and gives the server tip. "Ahh, and one more thing, I still remember his promises to open a branch in Korea and moved there. He better fulfil it" Chaeyoung says with a playful demanding tone.

 

Chaeyoung and Irene decide to take a night walk since the hotel she's staying isn't too far from the restaurant. The blinding city lights gradually subsided ever so subtly, whose bright lights are still visible on the horizon but more stars are visible than anywhere else decorating the heavens above like gems that shine in the glare of electricity.

 

"Oh, here. Your coat that you borrowed me. I always forgot to give it back." Irene says, handing him a paperback containing a brown clean coat. Chaeyoung takes the cloth out and unfolds it. He smiles and shakes his head as he wraps it around her, again.

 

"You can keep it. You're not even wearing any today." He buttons it up making sure the coat perfectly shield her from the faint cold breeze. For a moment, she's folded into it "Even Queen Elsa can catch a cold what more a normal people like us. Don't let Jack Frost nip your nose" He chuckle, lightly touch the tip of her nose.

 

Irene wordlessly glared at him.

 

"You should assign for Cyclops character you know....haha...." He keeps with her tease but stops laughing when the girl hasn't moved a single muscle. Clearing his throat, he sighs in defeat "Kay sorry" In fear of the older, he gives a cheeky smile that instantly causes Irene to suppress her smiles but fail at the end. He laughs on his small victory.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter