Slim Chance

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung couldn't concentrate on his class, his mind going over and over the same thoughts and worries, leaving little headspace for him to focus clearly. He has his eyes wandering outside the window the whole time. When it's break time, instead of going to the cafeteria, he heads to the top floor of the campus building and escapes to the rooftop. For a moment, he stands there, inhaling the scent of the city. There is a cold wind blowing and a bit of rain on the air, but Chaeyoung doesn't care.
Β 

He stays there for his entire classes then leaves the college after clearing his mind. Since the sun hasn't yet poked above the horizon at noon, he decides to meet someone precious and buys groceries for the person. He is seeking encouragement to take one leap.
Β 

When Chaeyoung arrives at the old and cosy restaurant, he sees her. Wearing an old, floral dress that goes up to her knees. Her hair, which is like a web of silver yarn, encased her head. Her face wrinkled, but the lines on her face made her look sweet. Chaeyoung moves closer and greeted by a hug from the old lady. Something about her made him feel at home.
Β 

As what he thought, Nana first question his casted arms and he successfully makes a lame excuse then receive a continuous nag from the old lady. He sighs when Nana is done and time to time remind him to be careful not to trip anymore.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Are you here to deliver good news?" Nana smiles as she serves his orders and sits in front of him. It saddens Chaeyoung to think about telling the truth to Nana, for what had happened to them---Mina, him, and his mistakes. That he already ruin everything including the love of his life.
Β 

"Just....the same" He mumbles, guilty for choosing to keep the horrific event a secret. Nana hums as a reply and they fall into silence. He starts eating while Nana puts a dish on top of his spoon to be eaten with rice and keep telling him to eat more. Chaeyoung smiles and thanking the old woman for treating him like her own son.
Β 

"There's always that chance, isn't there? That slim chance." She begins. Her soothing voice hasn't changed.
Β 

Chaeyoung stops and picks his gaze from the food to Nana. He looks at her and slowly nods in agreement, putting the utensils down. Nana smiles, and hold his hands that rest on the table.
Β 

"Then go for it"
Β 

He lowers his head, If only you knew. He thought. Chaeyoung bites his lips and stares at Nana. The old lady is always a gentle and a soft-spoken person, a listener to him, a comforter and most importantly a mother. He is certain that Nana will be very disappointed at him and might kick him from the restaurant, but that isn't the reason she keeps the incident a secret from Nana, it's because of he doesn't want Nana to be worried.
Β 

The meeting with Nana ends with a warm hug from the old lady. And though he keeps heartening her to live with him in the city, Nana refuses and wanted to spend the rest of her life in the small village. Chaeyoung doesn't against it, but he is not hesitant to force her if it comes to her health care since there are a more medical institution and opportunities in the city. Nana just laughs at the younger persistence and promise him to take care of herself.
Β 

Chaeyoung asks for another hug before he leaves, smiling happily at Nana while waving his hand. As soon as he turns around, his smile drops as he walks along the ground road with his hands inside his pocket.
Β 

Nana watches him struggling to pulls himself to stand due to the invisible weight on his shoulder. After all, the old lady can see behind those masked smile of him.
Β 

"I see, what goes around comes around. It must be hard for both of you....I know"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Chaeyoung's eyes caught a bookstore as he rides a bus, he immediately gets off the public transport and roams around the shop. It's over three floors and is full of a tiny room. He keeps wandering until he sees a baby's section book. In an instant, a light of joy creep inside him and soon fill his heart. The guy explores all of the selves, examining it---finding it amusing how he enjoyed a classic tale and a picture book. He ends up buying twelve books from Dr Seuss so he can read it to their unborn child and some classic novel for Mina.
Β 

He's almost running home when he realizes the time but a buzzing sound stops him---a message from Irene stating that Mina went out with her sister. Chaeyoung sigh and saunter to the park, thinking he still has spare time. He settles down under a tree to cover him from the sun. He sits on the ground, back against the trunk as he searches for a colourful book inside his shoulder bags. Chaeyoung wears his glasses and starts writing while using his lap as support.
Β 

Hi! my daughter haha. Hmm, dad actually alone right now because mom is meeting your aunt. So, dad is a bit lonely haha. Today, dad bought some books for you hmmm you must be shared the same hobby with your mom right? You know, she's a bookworm hahaha. By the way....dad can't wait to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter