Heartbreak

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Mina! Hug time!"

 

Knowing who's the voice belong to, I turn around, witnessing the Cub running through the hallways. I close my locker and face him as he stands waiting for me with his arms spread open. His wide grin making a way for his one dimple crinkled.
I hug my books tightly and glance around before bringing my gaze back to him.
 

"Umm Chaeng, Mark will see us" I heave, biting my lips. His smiles instantly died, replaced by a frown. I feel incessant throb in my heart, telling me I should apologize for being callous and ignorant. I know what I just said is wrong, but I can't help it.
 

"Fine!" He retorts, groaning as he stomps his feet, marching away from me.
 

Sighing. I don't know why but ever since I'm in a relationship with Mark, Chaengie seems to be more clingy than usual. I'm not complaining since he said to know if someone loves you, make them jealous but I don't want to overdo it because everyone has their own limit. Strangely, this act reflecting Mark, he also gets obsessive whenever Chaeng is around. They both throw glare at each other, yearning for my attention, spitting sarcasm. Even a date with Mark will not complete without Chaeng's presence, he acts like a brother of mine and makes sure no one crosses the line. I find this situation is hard and ridiculous 'cause I don't want to be in anyone side but try to be the peacemaker.
 

"Chaengie!" I call out, trying to catch him.
 

And I must deal with both of this kid and their jealousy.
 

I run and grab him by the wrist, making him face me. He looks at me with furrowed brows and pouting. I chuckle a bit before I pat his head and hug him, thankfully, he responds after a while.
 

"How come you abandon your best friend for that jerk" He hisses.
 

I pull away and connect both our hands, bitterly swing it sideways "Chaengie, don't call him like that" I sulk. It's upsetting to hear that coming from him. I won't deny that it's entirely my fault for spending less time with Chaengie but I hope he could understand that.
 

"He's not a good guy, Mina-ya." He protests while looking down, caressing the back of my palm with his thumb.
 

"And how do you know that? We already discuss this aren't we?" I say softly while leaning forward, wanting to meet his eyes. "Look, you're my best friend. Can you please support me?" I add, sounds like I'm pleading, well I really am. I don't want to lose any of them.
 

"Bu-----" He trails off. I watch as his jaw wired shut, eyes narrowed and fixed as if he's looking at something far beyond my head. "Where is it?" He growls. The sudden guttural tone got me confused and shocked.
 

I tilted my head "Eh?"
 

He stares at me for a while, groaning before he leaves me dumbfounded. I blink, refocuses, waking myself from the puzzled state. 'Why is he like that?' I look at my hand figuring out what's wrong with him then....
 

For god's sake Mina! The bracelet!!
 

Yes, we have the same bracelet. You can call it friendship bracelet. Mom gave it to us on Christmas when I'm twelve and he was ten. Since then, we never take it off from our wrist. Chaeyoung said he likes it because it's his first time someone gave him that and he fancies the design. While me, I'm wearing it because I treasure our friendship and he always checks on me whether I wear it or not. He takes it seriously.
 

And today Myoui Mina for the first time take it off and even forgot to wear it back. Because of the bracelet, a lot of people mistaken us to be together and Mark always asked me to not wear it. I'm not arguing about the subject of what people's thoughts of me and Chaengie, it doesn't bother me at all but it does for Mark. Our relationship goes quite good except for Chaengie's interruption, Mark seems really interested in my background and me myself in which my history matters a lot to him. At first, I had suspected that he was aiming for my wealthiness because of his overly curiosity towards my family and my past but then I found out he belongs to a prestige family. I guess, I was overthinking again.
 

Trying to save and defend our relationship, I try to do his way and only take off my bracelet today, planning to put it back. What a life. I'm a little hesitant to talk with Chaengie because he's a bit sensitive nowadays. He has become a caricature of himself, which I'm unfamiliar with. Once his emotions are variable, sometimes gregarious, other times moody. His soft face with the beginning of laughter lines only creased in anger and annoyed when I'm around. I only observe him from far. He distances himself from me, not even sparing me a glance even though he visits my house, he literally ignores me as if I do not exist. While me, I'm shy to start a conversation with him although our routine will always be the same---Chaengie will pick me up to school and send me home. I hold back, wanting to talk to him but not knowing what to say or how to say it. I never saw that side of him and encountered this problem. Somehow our friendship slowly falling apart.

 

This whole situation makes me think back whether Mark is worth to lose Chaengie.





 

And he's NOT.
 

After a few months, I found out he cheated on me. I heard people gossiping about it and at first, I didn't believe that rumour. I asked Mark about it and he denied it telling me that's all Chaengie plan to break us and yes stupid me I trust his word. I close my eyes and ear from all everyone and my shyness towards Chaengie turns to ego and then hatred.
 

All those time, there's never a day where I don't feel his absence. Chaengie, a guy who sent me smiles so bright you could see them from across the land and whose thoughtfulness warmed your heart. I was best friends with the man whose brown eyes sparkled like those of a child in a candy store and whose laugh was so contagious you often found yourself breathless in his presence. The kind of guy who would drag you out of the house in the middle of the night to get a greasy snack, who spent hours sketching the same thing until he got it right and, most of all, he was the kind of friend who never failed to distract you from your everyday worries using his lame jokes.
 

And now I regret everything. Like always, I shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter