First Meeting

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Why are you crying?"

 

I stop myself from weeping and wipe my tears after hearing a low voice. I look up and see a smiling boy in front of me. At first glance, he's better to be a walking cub or the son of the bean as he's very tin. Wearing an orange jacket with blue shorts and a beanie cap. He looks like a kindergarten with his backpack, definitely younger than me. He then climbs over the bench and sits beside me in the park.

 

He stares at me, maybe waiting for me to speak up. But I'm hesitant because I don't know him, so I look away instead. Besides, it's embarrassing. He just watches me crying like a lost puppy, with my little snot and puffy eyes. I sob and look down to my feet, hanging down from the bench. I smile as I catch a glimpse of my kawaii animal fleece shoes and the penguin pops up to me. But, it's a bad decision when I remember that I begged mom to buys it for me last week. My mouth twitch as my mom's image appears in my mind. My lips pursed unconsciously as I blink back tears.   Mom, Unnies, Dad...where are they? Why they don't search for me? I'm afraid. I want to go home.

 

I cannot see clearly as tears blinded me. Everything becomes blurry. I'm still hoping that mom will find me soon. I do what I was told, if ever I found myself separated from my family, I must stay where I was and don't follow strangers then they will come to me. I did it, but why they are not showing up. It's been hours. They are not throwing me away, are they? If that happens, wha----

 

"Here, I have chocolate. Do you want some?"

 

I forgot that this boy is still here. Why isn't he leaving? Soon, I feel a tap on my forearms. He does get on my nerves. I throw him a look, feeling my nose flared due to his annoyingly uninvited presence. I'm greeted by big almond eyes and a brown iris staring deeply back at me. My heart jumps a little. To be fair, I'm startled. It's as if, he's been observing me for some time, or as if I am something very interesting to look at. I blink, feeling myself relaxing when his eyes wink caused by the huge grin he gives me. He pushes the chocolate bar closer to me.

 

I wanted to decline but it's chocolate! Chocolate is lifeu. How can I refuse it? I know someone who's certainly will be delighted if some stranger just offered her candy, and without hesitancy devouring it all. I'm describing one of my beloved sisters, that food maniac becomes uncontrollable and ignorant if the topic is all about foods.

 

And I'm the opposite of her, I tend to wonder why and suspiciously thought the explanation. I'm that kind of kid who thinks more before acting and to my sisters, they thought that my personality is the reason I'm always left behind as I'll take time to ponder and thinks rather than acting as how my body and heart had instructed. See, I wanted to gladly accept the chocolate and thank him, that is my first instinct and impulsive act but instead, I stop myself and think. I mean who would want to give you free candy? More importantly, it's coming from a complete stranger? Unless there's a hidden intention. Intention. I recall my mommy's never-ending advice 'never take anything from a stranger may it be candy or snack. Just refuse it and stay still, if you're feeling dubious of them, then run, as fast as you could'

 

But mommy didn't actually point out the age range. Should I be dubious towards this boy? Wait, rather than should I, Am I feeling dubious now? I glance at the boy and squint my eyes as I gaze at the chocolate bar. Well, it could be a trap. This boy might be working under some black organization that sells child, and come approaching me with his innocent image to lure me in, who knows? The chocolate could contain poison. I should never trust a stranger despite their age. Yup, that's the right thing to do.

 

"Are you a bad person?" I ask, confronting the boy. Amazed by my sudden bravery. I examine his expression and he just stares blankly at me, rigid as stone. I suppose he's thinking what he should do now as I just exposed him, I smirk, proud of my own calculation. Or maybe not as his stunned face cracked by a burst of laughter. My brows raise, again, thinking of his unexpected reaction. Did I say something funny?

 

After a minute, he restrains himself and groans as he clutches his stomach, complaining about how it hurts his belly from laughing so hard. Irritated, I roll my eyes and look away. Why did I even talking to him? I should just ignore him in the first place. I scoff and diverts my focus on my situation, turning my head left and right, looking for my parents. When I see none of the familiar faces, I sigh heavily and back again staring at my feet, waiting for someone to find me.

 

I feel a nudge on my side. Knowing where it comes from, I close my eyes in annoyance. I'm already anxious and stress about my circumstances and this boy here is adding fuel to the flame. My patience is running out. I'm sure, if he pulls any unexplainable behavior and making fun of me, I'm going to push him down the bench. I have advantages since he's smaller than me, it'll be easy. I swear, I'm not rude or harsh but this boy keeps disturbing me and I won't stay still. I press my lips at the thought and slowly turn my head towards his side, my last pieces of endurance and kindness.

 

"Yes?" I ask between my gritted teeth.

 

Rather than answering, he just smiles. Now I'm convinced he's a creep. I want to leave the place, but he taps my shoulder making me face him again, hands-on guards ready to knock him down. To my surprise, he unwraps the chocolate and takes a bite, munching, and swallowing it.

 

"It's not poisoned," he exclaims, showing me his dimple, that I just notice exist.

 

It's then soon hit me that, he knows. He knows what I'm thinking back then, that's why he laughs. Gosh, I must look so tense and awkward. Seeing this in a different view, I'm that shy, unsocialized girl who just lost in a park and he's the boy in shining armor who wants to help and gives me candy to console me. And I'm here being overthinking that the food is poisonous. He must have seen through me. Good, I've embarrassed myself twice. Why did I even think there's a black organization or what? Where is it even comes from?

 

Did I just watch too much Conan? Ah, reminded about Conan-kun, this boy here resembles him a bit only without glasses and stupider. Considering that I have a huge crush towards Conan-kun, and this boy here looking quite similar, it'll be a shame if I treated this boy coldly. Maybe he's not a bad person after all. And no, I don't judge him and change my mind just because I suddenly realized he looks cute and a little, just a little bit handsome, no definitely not. Pfft~ it just he looks sincere.

 

"Let's befriend. My name is Son Chaeyoung. You can call me Chaeng" Again he smiles widely at me, placing the chocolate bar inside my palm.

 

I sigh and shakes my head. I should stop exaggerating things. Maybe it's because I'm too afraid and tension to the fact that I lost my way. I smile at him and offer a handshake which he accepts "Hi Chaeng, I'm Myoui Mina and sorry for earlier" I mumbled. Still ashamed. He gives me a brief nod then scoots closer.

 

We talk, and I tell him about me. My family moved here, to Korea a year ago due to my father's business. So, to say that I'm still not familiar with the streets is an understatement. I'd just enrolled in primary school here, the age system is quite different, hence I'm a year older than my age in Japan. Yes, I'm a proud Japanese. As a typical new student, it was hard to open myself and make friends in a short amount of time plus my reserved personality is not helping. Different than my sisters who easily socialize, I likely isolate myself. I'm still not used to the language and it thickens the barrier. I can understand but not really fluent in speaking. Perfectly honest, I want to go back to my hometown, where's my childhood friends were. No matter how good this place is, home is different.

 

Set that aside for now, how did I actually end up here, crying on the bench? So, my family went to the shopping mall and intended to have some quality time because my parents are usually occupied with works. When my father is on the job, we have our mother give us hugs and kisses and it goes for the other way around. We rarely have them both at the same time at home. It's Sunday, and they had free time which is quite a surprise. Me, as the youngest in the family tree, was super excited since dad promised to bring me to the arcade. When we walked past the park, I caught sight of iridescent glow of the butterfly wings. Swimming in the air. She was beautiful.

 

I chased after the butterfly following her as she flies to the direction guided by the sweet smells of the blooms. I was too mesmerized by her beauty, wanting to reach for her. She soon stopped and perched on the wildflower drinking deeply of the nectar. I crouched and stared at it, smiling as I turned around to call for my sisters but there was no one behind me. I realized I'm alone and I might just lost. I tried to calm myself and followed my mom's advice which to stay where I was. I sat down on the bench and wait and wait until my hope slowly fades as time passed. And, that is all. Currently, here I am telling my tragic story to this boy who's keen to listen.

 

"Hmm, I come with my father. I'll ask him to help you" He says before standing up and run away. I watch as his tiny legs support his quickstep then disappear from my sight.

 

He doesn't even let me speak. I don't want him to go and leave me here alone. Funny how I need his 'uninvited presence' now. I sigh and look down at my feet, waiting for him or anyone to find me. I start to imagine what if he doesn't come back and my parents don't found me, I'll stay up here until night and those beasty animal, ghost, will crawl and slowly eat m----



 

"Mina"

 

Eh? I look up, and there he is smiling at me. That's fast, I thought. Beside him is a man holding his small hand, wearing a casual black t-shirt and brown pants. Perhaps, it's his father. I watch as Chaengie pulls the man's hand and gesture at me. The man peeks at me and nods before he releases Chaengie's tiny hand and walks towards me. He crouches down in front, elbows on his knees "Chae said you need help. Are you lost, cherry?"

 

Cherry? Do I looks like che-- I shut my mouth straight and facepalms internally. I glance down to my dress, my white cherry floral printed dress. This man is the definition of a simple man. I have no doubt he is Chaengie's father. I let out a chuckle, gaining me their confusion looks. I brush it off and nods as my answer to his question earlier. The man smiles at me and offers a hand. "Come, I'll take you to the park center. And I'm not a bad person" he assured. He has the same ability as Chaengie, able to read through me. I did consider to turn down the idea since I should oblige to my mom's words, but who am I kidding? I'd break the rule by making friends with Changie who is a stranger to me a few minutes ago. And now he's no longer a stranger.

 

I nod and take his hand. He smiles at me and grips Changie hand's on the other side.  We walk together down the grassy field until the man abruptly stops his step causing me to bump over his hip bone. He looks down at me, giving me apologetic smiles and ruffle my hair as a form of sorry, I guess. He averts his gaze to the front where two boys are playing football. "Hyun, Tzu come." He called. The boys stop and run towards us. I on instinct slowly hide behind. I've met too many new people in a day, and it's quite overwhelming to handle.

 

I heard them talking to each other while I try to peeps, glancing at the two boys. Honestly, they look like the sun and moon. The first one has light orange hair, unbelievably white and wears a huge grin on his face as if he's glowing to the fullest. The second one is a bit taller, has a black pitch hair and wears a straight face, his aura screams cold and dark but somehow comforting as the night did to us. Together, they make a perfect combination. Listening to their conversation, I learn that these two boys are Chaengie's brothers. If the sun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter