First Love

Broken Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wake up to the sound of beeping and murmuring. The first thing I see is Sana unnie smiling at me and she tells everyone I've woke up. I must be in the hospital after I roam my eyes and sees only a white painted wall, also the stingy sensation on my wrist dues to the IV needle. My family and Chaeyoung's then come to me and ask how I'm doing.I ask for a glass of water which my mom hurriedly pours for me, while Sana-unnie holds my arms and supports me to sits properly.


 

I look beside me and there's the Bean, half covered by the curtain but I know it's him, still sleeping soundly on the other bed with bandages on. I gulp the warm water, keeping my dry throat moist. After the last drop falls into my mouth, I abruptly drop my head down and sigh. Not realizing, I'm on the verge of crying again. Chaengie wouldn't be hurt if I just not being stubborn. This is all my fault.

 

"Mom, what happened?" I ask my mom who's sitting on the side of the bed, holding my hand. She seems to notice the guiltiness radiating from me.
 

"Oh dear, we're so worried that you and Chae went missing. We searched in your school, playground, mall and lastly the park. We should have known that you were there"
 

"We looked for you for some time until Chaeyoungie appeared, pouring with sweat while carrying you on his back. He passed out with you before we help him. We take you, kids to the hospital for further check-up. Don't ever do that again Mina, you don't know how worried I am" Mom explains with a slightly mad tone.
 

"I'm sorry mom" That's all I could say. I try to remember what had happened, but I can't. I'm just grateful to Chaengie and promise myself to treat him later.



 

= = = = = = = = = =

|Flashbacks|

Chaeyoung caught Mina before her body completely met the ground. Panic, he tried to wake Mina by gently shook her arms. The thought of something bad happened to her start to monopoly his mind, did her internal organs or something had injured? That was hardly can be seen through normal vision. Or it might be a high fever? Mina was sweating a lot. He thought. Chaeyoung quickly placed the back of his palm against Mina's forehead, eyes widen when his hands automatically retracted. Impulsive act towards Mina's burning skin. It only added the concern he had for her as he tried to wake her up again, this time shaking her a bit rough. Mina didn't answer him. It was night and Mina need help. He hurriedly supported her to sit and put her on his back.

 

He pushed himself to stand up and carried her while calling for her name. Still, Mina didn't respond, and he became anxious and concerned until he cried. Sweat trickled down his temple accompanied by his tears. The air was heavy and thick, he could hear movement in the dry leaves, the wind whistling through the branches. He paid no attention to it, to whatever creature or predator out there watching its prey or to how the sounds of the wind howling threatening whisper seemingly inviting them to enter a cemetery. He didn't care any of those. His brain only registering one thing, to bring Mina to safety. He walked through the uneven path, sobbing as the penguin hadn't shown a single movement.

 

"Mina please wake up," He said between his ragged breath. He sniffed due to the fit of crying and the cold as the tip of his nose reddened. It was there, the ringing screams vibrating in his ears, and the thumping of his heart against his chest. He felt himself suffocating yet he mustn't stop running. His legs weakened as time passed, after all, he was smaller in size compared to Mina. Once in while, his legs would just lost it and he'd ended up kneeling on the rough surface. Ignoring the numbness, he would put Mina down and wiped his tears using his freed hands. He needed to see clearly without the glassy water, covering his eyesight. Then, he would carry Mina again, tightening his grip while he swayed down the path. It repeated until his knees were bleeding caused by the sharp gravel.

 

As soon as he saw Mina's mom, he fastened his pace. Relief washed over him.
 

"Mother!"

 

Mrs. Myoui raised her head in surprise and every corner, looking for the voice's owner. She knows exactly who is it belonged to. Not only her, Mr. Myoui and Mr. Son were also in the search group along with other men. She guided her flashlight towards the direction where she heard another scream, then there appeared from the shadow is Chaeyoung carrying her little girl.
 

"Oh God! Chaeyoungie" She runs to them and kneels before the boy. Quickly examining him and Mina.
 

"Please help Mina. Please-" As if his bones have no more strength and his muscles are all out of power, his sentence was simply cut as he too passed out afterward.
 

|End of Flashbacks|

= = = = = = = = =



 

I'm sitting on the bleachers at the basketball field here in my primary school. It's break time and I've planned to eat with Chaengie but he is nowhere to be seen. I look for him everywhere then decides to just buy food for us first. When I arrive at the canteen, there's only one bun left. Well, I've eaten breakfast, I'll buy this for Chaengie. The food is still untouched as I watch him playing basketball with some boys and decides to wait for the game to end. I planned to read my book but I can't help but disregard it for a while. Chaengie looks so small compared to the boys as he tries to catch the ball. He is easily being shoved away, stumbling then falling. I narrowed my eyes, reading the situation. They are not playing, they are basically aiming Changie. Some unnecessary forces and fool mistakes just to hurt the Bean. This is all just an act.

 

"Shortie! Don't play with us. You only make us lose"

 

I heard that. Insulting my Bean brother is a big No to me. I close my book, grips it tightly and walk towards. The boys are surrounding Changie who's lost in the crowd as all the boys towered him. I push myself inside the crowd and to the center, grabs Chaengie's small hand and hides him behind me, while my right hand is occupied by my thick hardcover book. I raise my chin to face the boy in front of me, a big and tall kid for his age. I know this boy, he's quite popular among my friends for his athletic ability. They said he was hot because of his cockiness, I take that as rubbish.

 

"What did you say?" I ask using a flat tone, not backing away from his threatening stares. I know, I against all the boys here is completely nuts, but if you're able to bring down the king, or I would rather call it as a vile unworthy king then the weakling army will shut up. And I have something in mind. The boy chuckles and lowered himself, getting closer. I bring my right hand to the back, building the energy and to help increase the speed and power.

 

"I said this kid is a shor---"
 

I give no time for him to finish his sentence. I swing my arms straight forward, landing a powerful smack on his cheeks or rather be his head, with my book. I'm glad I was reading Goblet Of Fire, the thickest book in the Harry Potter series. How I wish this book is a portkey so I can transport to my house and take dad's katana then return. Of course, I'm just exaggerating. Now I feel bad for my book, I hope it will be fine. Or should I buy a new one later? My thoughts vanish when I'm awaken by groaning and murmuring voices around me. I look down at the boy who's cupping his face, lying on the ground while cursing at me. Oh, I forgot I just hit this kid. Maybe he needs another one on his dirty mouth.

 

"You're welcome if you want another. We've got all day." I spit out, staring at him boringly. I'm in trouble, big trouble, I know and inside I'm also afraid and nervous. I rarely involved in a fight but like I said no one can touch my Bean and my patience has a limit. I get it that violence is still wrong but they started it by acting like they were playing when they were instead pushing, tripping, and punching Chaengie with their elbow pretending it to be a mistake. Well, my principle is, eye for an eye. I sigh and turn to the other boys who are watching us as they take a step away from me "Y'all can have a taste too. I have a lot of books" It needs only one person to starts running away and escape. Soon the other follows, now the army is done.

 

"Y-You lucky you're a girl," The vile king said before he too runs away. I sigh in relief. If I'm, to be honest, I was afraid if all of them jumped on me and Changie. We cannot win the majority but it looks like my plan had worked. I wanted to celebrate my little achievement and victory, this is my first time though, fighting and hitting someone. What an experience. I turn around, expecting Chaengie's dimpled smile but instead I'm met by a glare, disappointed yet mad look from him. I don't understand. He moves down his dark gaze towards my hand that's still tightly gripping his wrist. I let go of his hand and apologizes when I see the red mark formed on his wrist. And just like that, he walks away, leaving me behind.

 

I catch him and walks beside him. He still has that angry expression plastered on his face as it turns red or is he embarrassed? I ask myself. But judging by him, fully ignoring me, I guess he's mad. "Chaengie" I call him softly while nudges the side of his stomach. He abruptly stops walking and lifts his head to level my eyes, staring intensely at me. Yup, he's mad.

 

"Stop doing that. I can handle it on my own" He breathes out.

 

"I'm just trying to help," I say, defending myself. Feels like I want to cry anytime soon. Why is he so mean? It's not easy all right, I'm not a loud and powerful kid and especially I'm a girl. But I stood up for him against all the boys though inside I'm freaking out. Can't he just appreciate my effort? What did I do wrong?

 

"Did you know why I'm even there in the first place" He raises a brow, waiting for my answer. Of course, I didn't know why there are playing basketball when obviously Chaengie is in disadvantages and I bet he knows it too. "They mocked me, said I'm a crybaby, losers and weak because I always hide behind you when actually I'm not. And great, you just proved them right. I don't need your help nor your protection" He gives me an insincere smile then walks away. I am left bewildered. Is that how he really thinks of me? I just want to protect him or is it too much? I dragged this to him. I should've considered his feelings. I guess he played the game to prove himself, to show them he's capable of standing on his own. And I just ruin it.

 

I look towards Changie's direction and again chase after him. This time not walking by his side but silently follow his step from behind, hanging my head because of guiltiness. I wanted to say sorry but I'm afraid. I always observe my surrounding, I read people like how I read books. That's why I know how to respond to people's behavior and how to deal with people easily. But Chaengie is one of those minority whom I can't understand. He is unpredictable. Fact, logic, psychology had no effect on him. Because of that, I'm always unsure and doubting myself around him. I don't know what's the right thing to do, to say to him. And I don't know how he will react. It scares me.

 

"I need to be strong. I'm the one who should protect you not the otherwise"

 

I heard his mumble. I raise my head and instantly smile. Of course. That's what it is all about. I peek from behind, bringing my hands to the back and tiptoed nearing him. "I would love that," I say and move to his side now. He shows no reaction and just continues walking towards the basketball hoop. "Are you still mad at me?" I ask as he crouches down to picks up a ball, not even sparing me a glance.

 

He sighs and turns to me "I see you bring something. Is it food? Cuz I'm hungry" He gives me a small smile. Twilight, I'm right. Not as dark as Tzuyu not as bright as Hyun. I know even if he's angry with me, it won't last long though his treatment will taste different then the usual. Not completely ignoring you, not completely forgiven you. It will take him some time. For me that itself is enough, as long as he still beside me and be my friend, then I'm content.

 

I smile and nod before jogging to take the plastic bag containing bun bread and strawberry milk. He slowly follows me while bouching the ball with one hand. We end up sitting on the bleachers, him beside me. I give the bread and the milk to him. He happily takes it and thanks me, though it doesn't linger long. He frows and looks up to me "Where's yours? Are you not eating?"
 

"I'm full," I say trying to assure him but my tummy betrayed me. The rumbling sounds break the air. I close my eyes in annoyance. This is embarrassing. I bite my lips and looks away, I hope he doesn't hear that. It's silent for some time. I think I'm fine. I clear my throat then face him, stealing a glance. When my eyes met his, he smiles widely showing his deep dimple. That's when I'm certain. He heard it. Stupid Myoui, stupid tummy. I want to pull my hair so bad. "Pretend you didn't hear that" I mumble.

 

"What? I didn't hear anything" He smiles then breaks the bun into two pieces. "Actually, I'm not that hungry. Quite full. So let's share." He says, handing me a piece. I know what he is doing. Saving me from embarrassment and I'm thankful for it. We eat the bun in silence. There's only two of us here and some boys can be seen far away in the football filed. "I might be tiny, but I can shoot. Want me to teach you?" He asks as we tidy up. I hum first and think, not realizing I'm already being drag by Changie back to the basketball court.

 

I finally nod in defeat and takes the ball he offered. We stand before the free throw lines as he moves behind me. "Start with bend your knees," He says as I follow his instruction. I catch his smile when he sees my hand that's awkwardly holding the ball. He takes my hands and adjusts it to the correct positions. "Balance yourself" He hooks his legs on my foot and slightly widens my feet but still narrower than shoulder-width apart. "Dominant foot in front" He pushes my right foot from behind a bit further forward. "Knows your shot pockets" He placed his hand above mine, bringing the ball lower to my stomach area. I puff my cheeks, somehow this is nerve-wracking. I glance to my shoulder where he places his chin. He looks so serious in this. "Eyes on the target" He scolds as he catches me staring. I quickly avert my attention back to the hoop.



 

"Then, shoot"

 

I breathe out, eyes fixed on the rim. I jump, higher than it should be while leaning forward, something Chaengie t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter