Cookie Crunch

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - Prompts from Kkukkukkakka Lifewithoutmichaeng, diana_n123 and Heyooo123

 

Cookie Crunch

 

The Cookie Crunch festival was the highlight of the year.

 

Steam rose and covered the air above the campus as students cook various foods. The atmosphere joyous and fun, people either trying the new exotic meals, taking part in the carnival games or watching the sporting competitions being set up. The Presidential speeches had just wrapped up and Nayeon was making her way back to Dahyun, she had stood with Irene in the wings watching the speeches and cheering Jihyo on. She had beamed when she saw Momo and Tzuyu sat together in the front row, knowing how happy her friend would have been to see them there together. It had made Nayeon long for her own girlfriend, so the second she could - she ran off to find her.

 

When she found the tofu-skinned girl she smiled.

 

Dahyun was stood by one of those ball throwing booths, eating her cotton candy with a childlike smile on her face. Nayeon felt her chest warm up at how cute the girl looked, they only had one last hour together before Dahyun left to play on the main stage. Running over Nayeon kissed her quickly, earning a grin. Dahyun tasted like cotton candy, sweeter than usual and Nayeon hummed at the taste - her lips.

 

“Want some?” Dahyun asked, holding it out for her,

 

Nayeon tore off a piece and popped it in , “I love Cookie Crunch.”

 

“Hey guys!” Sana chirped as she and Mina ran over,

 

“Did you hear? Tzuyu got caught smoking again so the teachers threatened to expel her.” Mina told them,

 

“Just for smoking!?” Dahyun asked,

 

“She’s on her last warning,” Mina explained, “But Headmaster Park said if she competes in the archery competition they’ll let her off for today. Jihyo thinks they want her on the team.”

 

“Pretty shady way to do it.” Dahyun sighed,

 

“Would she do it otherwise?” Sana asked, cuddling a giant stuffed toy in her arms,

 

“Touché.”

 

“That’s a cute squirrel, Sana.” Nayeon told her,

 

Sana grinned and cuddled the giant squirrel closer to her, “Minari won it at one of the booths.”

 

Mina blushed and shuffled behind Sana, embarrassed, she didn’t let go of her hand though. Everyone knew that Mina was the pro gamer - from PS4 to arcade games she could do it all. She grew up going to fairs in Japan and her cousin worked at one - passing on how to win the unwinnable games. Dahyun noticed to look of want in Nayeon’s eyes as she herself looked at the prizes in the ball throwing stall, one of which was a giant bunny. It was cute and Nayeon’s eyes lit up when she saw it, Dahyun knew then and there that she would have to win this game and solidify Nayeon’s love with this plushy. She gave her cotton candy to a very excited Sana and marched over to the booth and bought three balls. The first throw nearly hit the stall operator, he glared at Dahyun who hastily apologised. The second missed completely. The third rebounded and hit Dahyun in the face causing her to fall back with a thud.

 

“Dahyun? Are you okay?” Nayeon asked, stifling the laughs that Sana’s giggling was onsetting,

 

“This it war!”

 

Whilst Dahyun continues to further embarrass herself we’ll go and see what our favourite trio are doing. After Jihyo had finished her speech she had gone to find where her girlfriends had wandered off to she’d run into Jeongyeon who told her about Tzuyu in the archery match which meant that Jihyo was going to have to lecture. When she tracked her girls down Momo was twenty seconds into a hot dog eating contest. Tzuyu was watching with a look of disgust as her eldest girlfriend hoovered up each hot dog.

 

“If she weren’t flying the rainbow flag she’d make a man very happy.” Tzuyu commented,

 

“Indeed.” Jihyo replied, “Heard you got caught smoking.”

 

“Jihyo--”

 

“You keep promising not to and you keep lying. Just be honest and say you don’t want to stop.”

 

“I don’t want to stop.”

 

“Well tough you’re stopping, end of discussion.”

 

Both girls then returned their gaze to the contest, Momo now 40 seconds in and having inhaled about fifteen hot dogs. Matching looks of horror on both of their faces. At one point Jihyo subconsciously reached for Tzuyu’s hand, only to retract it out of instinct. Then a small smile came on her face and she gripped it again, she could do it now - she could show the world Tzuyu was hers now. Though for Tzuyu she was nervous, she could hear some people around them whispering and a few students nearby used the words “disgusting”. Still she didn’t let go, Jihyo would be heartbroken. They cheered when Momo won, the resident human trash-can immediately running over to kiss them….only for Jihyo to pop a mint in first.

 

“Tzuyu!” A voice called,

 

Irene, who happened to be head of the archery team, ran over, “We’re about to get ready, come on.” She grinned good naturedly, “We shall return you to your handlers when we’re done.”

 

With an over dramatic groan Tzuyu was lead away, Momo and Jihyo both sniggering at her misfortune. They made their way over to the sporting area, grabbing Mina and Sana (who had been watching Dahyun trying and failing to win this damn toy) and wishing Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung luck when they passed them. They sat it the stands and grinned when Tzuyu came out, she looked hot in her archery uniform - hair tied out of her face. Momo and Jihyo knew that Tzuyu had played archery at a very high level back in Taiwan but they’d never really seen her play. Momo cooed, she looked so cute when she was pretending not to be nervous. Suddenly, another figure appeared on the field and Momo’s blood began boiling. Naeun walked over to wish Tzuyu luck and sure, they were just talking, but all Momo could think of was the fact that Naeun had seen HER girlfriend . If Jihyo hadn’t been gripping her hand so tightly the Japanese girl would have lunged but when the announcer came over the tanoy and announced the start of the competition.

 

Tzuyu was nervous - that was a definite understatement. It had been a long time since she did this in front of a crowd and she was up against Irene! They were each in teams of two, each person got three arrows. The first match was Seulgi, a friend of Irene’s and the student council secretary, against Yein (a senior Tzuyu only knew by reputation). Neither were the best and Tzuyu found herself picking holes in the way each girl played, God she was turning into her mother….that was the last thing she wanted. They finished with a score of 21 to 24, Irene’s team taking first. The second round was a lot better with Mijoo scoring a 10, 5 and 4 leaving a score of 30, while Irene’s team-mate Joy scored a 6 and two 5s meaning they were tied with only three arrows left per team.

 

Irene and Tzuyu bowed to each other before Irene raised her bow and aimed, she let the arrow loose and hit an 8.

 

Tzuyu felt eyes on her and she swallowed, trying to keep her head, she raised her bow.

 

你的背不夠直!

Your back is not straight!

 

The sudden voice in her head startled her and she let the arrow fly, hitting the seven. Tzuyu cursed quietly to herself. She never allowed herself to get less than an eight, she wasn’t allowed to fail. Maybe she was still out of practice? Irene smirked, purely in jest but the younger girl viewed it as a sign of aggression. Irene’s second arrow flew and hit the eight again, she was consistent - it was never luck, only skill. Tzuyu stepped up once more and lined up her shot, now that she was frustrated she fired without ensuring she had the perfect shot.

 

“Eight!” The announcer called over the tannoy,

 

Okay, that was better. Eight was better. Irene walked forward and once again she scored an eight, doing quick maths in her head Tzuyu knew that the current total was 54 to 45. Tzuyu would need to hit a nine for a draw or a ten for a win. No pressure. Stepping up she felt nerves hit her, usually a ten was no problem but today she just…couldn’t. The pressure was getting to her and she didn’t know what to do. She could hear the announcer discussing how many points were required but she tuned him out. She went to raise her bow…

 

!!”

 

Tzuyu paused.

 

“Remember, you’ll never get a good shot under pressure.” A new voice in her head told her, “If you’re too tense you’ll over shoot. Just relax, find something to calm yourself.”

 

Tzuyu didn’t lower the bow but her eyes drifted to the stands, Sana was cheering obnoxiously loud while Mina attempted to calm her, Jeongyeon’s voice was playing through the speakers as the band played on the main stage. Jihyo was watching her with pride in her eyes and Momo was hopping up and down in excitement, they’d never looked at her that way before. Like…she was finally doing something good. Tzuyu felt her heart thud, she returned her gaze to the target.

 

“Good, now relax.” A third voice advised, “Take a breath.”

 

Tzuyu inhaled and exhaled deeply.

 

“Tune out the crowd around you.” The second voice returned,

 

The noise began to grow further away, like she was hearing it from underwater.

 

“Line up your shot.” - Third voice.

 

Tzuyu raised the bow and closed one eye, steadying herself.

 

.” - Second voice.

 

Fire.

 

Tzuyu let the arrow loose and…

 

“THAT’S A TEN FOR CHOU! VICTORY FOR TEAM B!”

 

Tzuyu felt a hand clap her back and Irene grinned at her, congratulating her on a good game, “You know, the archery team has a spot if you want it…”

 

Tzuyu looked conflicted for a second, “I’ll think about it.”

 

Then someone grabbed her from behind and Momo spun her around while the others laughed, “You were awesome!”

 

Once she was back on the ground Jihyo walked up and pecked her cheek, “Well done.”

 

Tzuyu smiled awkwardly as everyone began congratulating her, Sana even wrapped her in a headlock and Mina had so save her the energy was so high. Momo was cuddled right up to her side gripping her hand and nuzzling into her neck.

 

“Ew gross.” A girl behind them said,

 

“Freaks,” Another smirked, “You’d think Jihyo and Momo could find someone worthwhile to use as a toy.”

 

Tzuyu stiffened but tried to ignore it, but Momo also heard it and had decided that she had had enough. She span round on her heels and marched towards the girls, head cheerleader intimidation look on her face. She rarely used this look but the few times she did, the victim knew they were in trouble. Momo stormed over to the girls and stood in front of them, arms folded.

 

“What did you say?” She growled,

 

“We…errrr…” The girls stammered,

 

“Well?”

 

Jihyo and Tzuyu exchanged a look….this was new. Sana and Mina went to flank their captain, each with their own matching -face looks. They were the trio you did not want to be on the bad side of, it was pretty much social suicide. Plus Momo was the schools sweetheart, make her mad the whole student body would be out for blood. The two girls were shaking in their boots.

 

“Okay,” Momo clicked her tongue, “I’m going to say this once, if I catch you saying anything about my girls again I will make your life a living hell. Am I understood?”

 

“...”

 

“She asked you a question.” Sana said, looking almost bored, hand on her hip,

 

“Y-Yes, we understand.” One girl stammered,

 

“W-We’re sorry.” The other mumbled,

 

“Good,” Momo’s voice was uncharacteristically cold, “Now spread the word.”

The girls bolted and cute Momo was back, she turned round and smiled at her two gob-smacked girlfriends. Momo looked sheepish and Jihyo walked forward, grabbing her hand and pulling her away from the scene. Tzuyu trailed behind them, still not used to being seen with them in public. They walked all the way back to Momo’s dorm, the eldest expecting to get a lecturer about threatening people…only that didn’t happen. They got to the dorm and Momo sat on the sofa.

 

“Momo,” Jihyo began, “Where did that come from?”

 

Momo blushed, “I was sick of people being mean to Tzuyu.”

 

“I can take it Mo…” Tzuyu told her, sitting next to her,

 

“But you shouldn’t have to.”

 

“Momo…” Jihyo’s stern voice got their attention, “That was…”

 

She cupped Momo’s chin and pulled it to look at her.

 

“So y.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Yeah,” Tzuyu smirked, rubbing her arm, “Baby Moguri defending me…I swooned.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really.”

 

As they cannoodled Dahyun was still by the ball throwing booth.

 

“...45..46,000 won.” She sighed,

 

“Take the rabbit.”

 

VICTORY!