Serenade (Nahyun)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

 

A/N - So I had a funnier chapter planned but this was prompted by Hahaha0 and I preferred this idea. ALSO THERE WILL BE NO UPDATE UNTIL WEDNESDAY I’M REALLY SORRY BUT I NEED A BREAK D:!

 

The song Dahyun is playing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY

 

Serenade (NaHyun)

 

Nayeon hated being early.

 

She preferred getting as much beauty sleep as possible but, sadly, today she had been made to come into school an hour before anybody else would be showing their faces. The girl thought it was unfair that just because she had been late to a few (all) her drama classes, she was given detention early on Tuesday morning. Her job had been to put up flyers for their schools less-than-amateur version of ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ in the arts block. Her teacher was next to her the whole time, blaring music from the radio he had attached to his belt. If you could call it music, to Nayeon it sounded more like noise and guitar underneath. Like the sort of crap Jeongyeon and her band play. Luckily for her the teacher left her too it after a while, going of for a cigarette….or a drink, or whatever else teachers do in the teachers lounge.  

 

Once the racket was gone Nayeon could finally just get on with her job without the constant thought of stapling her ears shut. After a few peace filled moments she began hearing music again and nearly turned round to attack the devil teacher….but then she really listened. It was beautiful. Someone was playing the piano down the hall, making the instrument sound more beautiful than Nayeon had ever thought it could be. Putting down the remaining leaflets she followed the song until she reached practice room one. Peaking through the small window at the top of the door she was met with a surprise.

 

It was Dahyun.

 

Nayeon was a gossip and was very aware of the rumour that Dahyun was a music prodigy. But to actually hear it, to see her fingers slide across each of the keys flawlessly was a spectacle. The older girl could hardly believe that this was the same nutcase that liked to dance on the canteen tables and hung around with idiots like Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung. It wasn’t as if Nayeon was extremely enthused by classical music either, much more a pop fan, but the way Dahyun was playing it spoke to her. Like she had known Nayeon would be the only one to hear it, as though it was just for her. She recognised the song somewhere in her distant memory but she was sure that when she had heard it for the first time it had not been anywhere near as transfixing. If it were, she would have been unable to forget it.

 

It reminded her of when she had watched Mina, her ex, dance ballet for the first time. The elegance, the fluidity transfixing her. Impressing her, overwhelming her enough to fall in love then and there. Though as the tune picked up momentum and became more complex, causing Nayeon to forget what it was she was previously thinking of. Her mind twisting in tune with the melody that filled the hallway. It couldn’t be the same girl who made the eagle dance legendary, it was too different a person. To see Dahyun this serious, this poised and composed was a rarity in itself that Nayeon almost felt privileged to see it first hand.

 

She had no sheet music either, having obviously learned the piece by memory. It was so professional, so amazing that Nayeon was sure she could have stayed and listened forever. But as the music faded away, the song coming to its eventual end, Nayeon felt a sense of loss. But rather than do as she wished and go in to ask her to play it once more, the older girl turned and ran off back to the job she had been set to do.

 

This was not the last time Nayeon would come to listen, for the rest of the week the girl would arrive an hour early and stand looking through the small window. Observing as Dahyun played out the notes to another beautiful song, making it even better through the way she was playing. Nayeon would have the tunes she performed in her head all day, then would attempt to locate their names when she returned home for the day. One day when she came by the door was left open for her, or so it appeared. Nayeon had been able to stand in the doorway and listen as Dahyun once again played ‘Clair De Lune’ for only her to hear. She didn’t know if Dahyun knew she was there or if she had just ignored her presence but Nayeon had stood at the doorway the entire time, right up until she had heard Jeongyeon walking down the hallway. As she walked away from the room the music stopped, somewhat abruptly - almost as if Nayeon’s leaving had meant Dahyun could no longer perform for her. However, at this notion Nayeon accused herself of being deluded - it had probably just been Jeongyeon interrupting her.

 

The following day the door was opened again and Dahyun was already part way through the song when Nayeon had arrived. Jihyo had called an emergency meeting in set up for the upcoming elections and therefore Nayeon had been half an hour later than she would usually be. To her surprise, after weeks on silently admiring the girl, Dahyun turned her head to the older girl and nodded for her to sit beside her. Unable to argue and too afraid of breaking the peace that the music created, Nayeon sat and admired the young pianist up close. It was then she noticed Dahyun’s physical beauty, she knew her music was beautiful and that she had always been referred to as a kind and caring girl, but Nayeon had never really looked at her face before.

 

Dahyun wasn’t looking at her, focusing instead on the keys before her. Her brow was not furrowed in concentration, nor was her tongue sticking out or any other signs of intense concentrating. Dahyun was in the moment, enjoying the noise of the music like Nayeon. Playing effortlessly, just enjoying the song that Nayeon could safely say was now one of her favourites. No matter how many times she had heard the girl play it, the song never lost it’s touch. Seeing Dahyun up close was overwhelming, watching as her eyes sparked as each bar was performed to perfection. As the music began to slow Nayeon was no longer thinking of the music - instead wondering what would happen in the older girl kissed her right now.

 

Would she kiss back?

 

Did Nayeon like her or was it just the affect of the music?

 

Will it be like Mina?

 

At this last thought Nayeon panicked. With the song now over and Dahyun staring back at her the older girl felt she could no longer cope. Standing quickly she turned and sprinted from the room, barging past a confused Chaeyoung and angering Jeongyeon who shouted after her for knocking her dongsaeng. Dahyun just sat in a state of shock, unaware of what had prompted Nayeon to react like that.

 

What had prompted Dahyun to let her in?