Family

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/N - A prompt from Lifewithoutmichaeng and jeybeee I have changed one of the prompts a little.

 

Updated early because I’m busy tomorrow night so yayy!

 

Also Mina speaking English is my new religion.

 

Family

 

Jihyo woke up in a white room, her head spinning.

 

“Hey Ji,” Nayeon’s voice spoke softly next to her, “You’re in the nurse’s room.”

 

Jihyo blinked and looked around, sure enough she was laying back in an uncomfortable bed located in the schools nurse’s office. Nayeon was sat on the chair next to her, phone out probably letting the others know where they were. All Jihyo could really register was that her head was pounding harder than it had in a long time.

 

“What happened?”

 

“You fainted.”

 

Then it started coming back to Jihyo. She had gone into school that day after being up all night printing off her final batch of poster, she had given each of her friends a stack each and had told them to distribute them around the school in preparation for the debate later today. The problem was - even with the elections going on Jihyo was still acting president so her duties didn’t stop. So she’d delegated what she could: Irene took over the smaller duties, Nayeon ran her social media campaign, Momo used her popularity to get everyone voting for Jihyo and Tzuyu had put a stop to anyone causing her trouble. But she was still stressed, tonight’s debate had been hard enough - mostly the fear that V was planning something. There end had been too quiet lately and Tzuyu had suspected something was going to go down soon.

 

Jihyo had been struggling all day, her meeting with the head master had granted her a number of tasks and deadlines to fulfil as well as asking her questions she needed Irene to answer. Irene had a maths exam at that time and so couldn’t attend the meeting which left Jihyo looking somewhat incompetent. Her headache started after that when she found out most of the football team had graffitied her posters meaning she had to go and take them all down rather than attend her science class. The stress and anxiety of skipping class had put the girl into overdrive and she spent the whole day struggling to keep her head above the surface. At some point around lunch time Nayeon appeared and began helping, this lowered the load a little….then V showed up.

 

“Afternoon Jihyo,” V smirked, no honorific, “Ready for the debate?”

 

“You bet.” Jihyo replied with confidence, clutching her new un-destroyed posters to her chest,

 

“Jihyo has this one in the bag,” Nayeon smirked, “You may as well give up now.”

 

V hummed, “I don’t think I will.”

 

“Shame.” Nayeon deadpanned, “C’mon Jihyo.”

 

Nayeon grabbed her arm and they continued down the empty hallway in the arts building. Only V stayed where he was and called out to them, “I just came to warn you. There’s still time to back out.”

 

Jihyo stopped, “Warn me about what?”

 

V smirked.

 

“Don’t listen to him Jihyo, he’s trying to freak you out.”

 

V held up a brown envelope, “Look what I have.”

 

He took two steps forward and held the envelope out for Jihyo who hesitated before taking it. When she opened it her heart stopped.

 

“Here’s the deal,” V said, deadly seriousness in his voice, “You announce your pulling out of the debate and no one has to know about your dirty little secret.”

 

“Blackmail?” Nayeon spat, looking at the evidence herself, “How low.”

 

“Maybe,” V smiled, “But hey, no hard feelings. It’s just politics.”

 

V began to walk down the hall away from them, “See you later Jihyo.”

 

Jihyo felt her heart pounding and she backed up to the wall. The envelope fell to the floor, the photos of Momo, Jihyo and Tzuyu behind the humanities building the night of the showcase. One was of Jihyo and Tzuyu kissing, the next was of Momo and Tzuyu kissing as Jihyo smiled at them. She began to hyperventilate, the stress of the day overwhelmed her and she slowly slid down the wall - losing consciousness as she did so.

 

“What do I do?” Jihyo asked her friend,

 

The older girl’s heart panged, sure she was older but Jihyo was always the wise and mature one. She could kill V for turning the usually confident Jihyo into….this insecure woman in front of her.

 

“You have two options,” Nayeon finally said, “One, you do like a boy on prom night and pull out.”

 

“But I’ve worked so hard Nayeon, everyone has worked so hard.” Jihyo sobbed, “I can’t let down everyone that’s supported me and we can’t let Jimin win. Not after what he did to Dahyun and Momo…and Tzuyu.”

 

Nayeon felt her rage grow as she was reminded what those beasts had done to her girlfriend. Whilst Jihyo sobbed Nayeon rubbed her back with one hand and used the other to take out her phone, she shot off a text to Sana, Mina, Dahyun and Jeongyeon telling them what had happened and what she was going to tell Jihyo to do. Once they had all expressed their fury at ANYONE talking to Jihyo like that they agreed to help. Because that’s what friends did, the second you needed them they’d back you in a heartbeat.

 

“Then option two, we spin it. He’s planning to out you during the debate, so get there first.” Nayeon instructed,

 

“How?”

 

“Do what you and Momo have always wanted to, tell the world that Tzuyu is yours.”

 

“She is ours.”

 

“Then it’s time, Jihyo. No more hiding.”

 

The door opened and the smug face of Jimin walked in, he had a black eye and a busted lip but his cockiness was still present.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Just wanted to make sure V passed on the information I gave him.”

 

“Well he did, now off you .” Nayeon growled,

 

The boy smirked, “Good. I’d hate for something to happen to Chou again.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

He clicked his tongue, “Let’s just say it’s a real shame Wang got Chou out of the warehouse before I could visit, could’ve had a turn on her too.”

 

Too?

 

Jihyo growled and Jimin laughed before a deep voice called for him in the hall, “Must dash, good luck at the debate.”

 

Once he’d gone a silence settled. Nayeon went to say something but Jihyo had already started to move. She wasn’t going to lay down and let ANYBODY talk about her girlfriend that way. Part of her wished Tzuyu told her what happened in that warehouse but she knew why the girl hadn’t. She wanted to protect them. Jihyo’s gaze hardened and she stood up. With her usual confidence she walked out of the nurses office towards the auditorium….knocking over Chaeyoung who had come to visit her but she could apologise later.

 

“Nayeon….time for plan B.”

 

_____

 

As the auditorium filled up Jihyo and V were in their places on stage. V was flicking through his notes while Momo was wishing Jihyo good luck, Jihyo had filled Momo in on what happened and the cheerleader had threatened to cave V’s skull in but her girlfriend had calmed her - saying she had a plan. They looked out over the auditorium and Jihyo caught Tzuyu’s eye , the younger was sat at the very back with a bored yet supportive Elkie. The girl mouthed ‘good luck’ and Jihyo smiled, until she turned at saw V sending her a smug look. Ignoring him as best she could Jihyo kissed Momo goodbye watching her sit with the others in the front - all giving her a thumbs up. The headmaster walked on to the stage and introduced both candidates, when he introduced V his fellow boys also began shouting and hollering so when he introduced Jihyo her friends made a point to be even LOUDER.

 

The debate began and Jihyo did what she had excelled at every year, she debated her point eloquently and to the point. She knew her facts, she knew her figures and while V had the confidence and charisma, Jihyo had the leader like quality. That’s because everyone knew V followed Jimin to the letter while Jihyo was a natural born leader, even those older than her would rather call her sunbae. After a while V realised he was losing and so when he realised Jihyo wasn’t going to back down he began to make an indirect threat.

 

“Taehyung,” The headmaster called, using V’s real name, “Before the closing statements I shall ask a final question, why should people vote for you?”

 

“Because I’m honest,” Jihyo’s breath caught in as he said that, “Because while I have made my own mistakes, I would never lie to the student body. Not just about the school’s plans or student council stuff, but rather I would always be open and honest about my social life. The student body should know everything since they deserve to know who they’ve elected. From their core beliefs,” He looked at Jihyo and said this next part pointedly, “To who their dating. Things our current student council president has been keeping from you all.”

 

Whispers began and Momo was held back as Elkie kept her eyes on Tzuyu, she knew the girl well and noted the panic on her face. If Jimin knew about Tzuyu and Jihyo this could be bad.

 

“Jihyo-ssi,” The headmaster called over the noise, “Do you have a rebuttal?”

 

Jihyo sighed into the microphone, V grinning as he thought he had won, “V is right.”

 

A gasp.

 

“Honesty is key, it marks how trustworthy a person is. You should know about the person you’re voting for, you should know the full story.” Jihyo looked up to meet Tzuyu’s eyes for a moment before snapping them back to Momo’s, “V is also correct in saying that I have kept things about my personal life from the student body, not because I’m ashamed but because it effects others and it would be unfair for me to divulge such things. However, this afternoon somebody threatened to out this information if I did not pull out of this election so now I have no choice but to be honest. Because I am dedicated, because this is a job I love doing and want to continue doing.”

 

Whispers began again and Jihyo looked at Momo who smiled at her, encouraging her to continue. She didn’t dare look at Tzuyu.

 

“As many people know I have been in a relationship with Hirai Momo for a few years now,” Jihyo began, “I think anyone that has ever seen us knows that she is the love of my life…but she isn’t the only one. Two years ago we both fell in love with someone else, it was the same person and it wasn’t that we loved each other any less - we just loved this person too. Which was as confusing for us as it was to you and I will happily answer any questions anyone has at a later date. But I love them, both of them and our little trio is so full of love and care that if you chose to vote for V because of who I love then that’s your own issue. But it shouldn’t matter, because I pour my heart and soul into that student council and everyone here has to say that I do a damn good job!”

 

Murmurs of agreement.

 

“Tell them who.” V snapped, “If you’re going for honesty.”

 

Jihyo took another breath, “Momo and I have been seeing…Chou Tzuyu.”

 

Gasps and loud whispers as heads turned to the back of the auditorium where Tzuyu sat, pale faced. Elkie was side eyeing her and didn’t know how to help. Tzuyu hated being the centre of attention, this was too much. Then a drinks cup flew through the air, having been thrown by a friend of Jimin’s, hitting Tzuyu and coating her in soda. Before her friend could stop her Tzuyu bolted out the side door. There was a moment of pure silence and then booing started….but it wasn’t towards Jihyo - it was to the idiot that threw the cup. It took a few seconds for the room to calm down, as it did Jeongyeon and Nayeon exchanged a look and snuck out. They started looking for Tzuyu and found her and Elkie leaving the school grounds.

 

“Tzuyu wait!” Nayeon called,

 

The girl froze at the bottom of the street allowing the duo to catch up, Elkie giving them space. Of all people she expected to chase her, these two were not who she was thinking of. Nayeon and Tzuyu had never really spoken one on one before and Jeongyeon… had beat the snot out of her once.

 

“Don’t you wanna stay and support Jihyo?” Jeongyeon asked,

 

“I can’t go back in there.” Tzuyu whispered,

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I‘m not ready for this. Not ready for everyone to be judging my every move, I’m not a good person.”

 

“Yet I’m still trusting you with my best friend’s heart,” Nayeon deadpanned, folding her arms, “You keep saying you’re a bad person Chou but you’re not as badass as you think you are. You love Jihyo, you love Momo and I’ve watched you treat them both like princesses. What are you so afraid of?”

 

“No offence Nayeon,” Tzuyu snapped defensively, “But you don’t know what I’ve done.”

 

“Are you going to hurt Jihyo?”

 

“Of course not!” Tzuyu shouted,

 

“Then I trust you.”

 

“Besides,” Jeongyeon shrugged, “You’re not defending them alone any more, I kicked your - I can kick theirs too.”

 

Tzuyu cracked a smile at that, “Why would you do that?”

 

Jeongyeon shrugged, “It’s what friends do.”

 

“We’re friends?”

 

Nayeon and Jeongyeon exchanged a look and Jeongyeon studied her a moment, “Of course! Look I’m sorry for punching you that time, I still think of you as a friend. You looked after Chae for me when I was being a .”

 

“You don’t get it,” Nayeon smiled, it was a somewhat motherly smile that Tzuyu had never seen from her before, “In the same way Jackson will protect Momo and Jihyo for you, we’ll protect you for them. You’re not alone any more Tzuyu-ah.”

 

Tzuyu was genuinely touched, it meant a lot to her that Nayeon liked her. She loved Jihyo and Nayeon made Jihyo happy. Same way she tolerated Sana because she made Momo happy. But she’d never thought any of them viewed her that way, the few times she had met them had felt like sitting at the cool kids table. She was happy to be there but very conscious that she didn’t fit in. Nayeon and Jeongyeon had made sure she was okay before they themselves returned to check on Jihyo, the debate had been in place of last period so Tzuyu could go home. Nan greeted her as she walked in and immediately tsked at the sticky substance that coated her, demanding she give her the ruined clothes for her to wash and had a shower. Victoria also saw her state and demanded to know what had happened but Tzuyu had kept quiet, this wasn’t gang warfare this was a douchebag with a slushy.

 

About two hours later Tzuyu was on her small sofa in her room watching the old television she had up there. The screen began losing signal so she hit it loudly a few times until the lines stabilised and the picture was back, due to her own banging she nearly didn’t hear the knock on her door. She heard it the second time and the door opened revealing her two favourite people. Jihyo gave her a hug as soon as she saw her.

 

“Are you okay?” She asked, “I’m sorry I didn’t warn you it’s just that V blackmailed me and--”

 

“Jihyo, it’s okay.” Tzuyu hushed, rubbing her back, “I’m alright.”

 

Momo joined the hug and soon they were all snuggled together on the couch watching some crappy television. Momo was telling her how Sana had tracked down who threw the drink and kicked them in…their slush-puppies and Mina had to call her back. Apparently Dahyun was already planning to run a story on polyamoury and how cool it could really be and Chaeyoung had lectured about six people about how ‘No! It is not just about threesomes!’. Tzuyu had chuckled, Jihyo and Momo both ended up falling asleep on her shoulders and Tzuyu let her mind drift. She’d come far since she first moved to Korea, she had new brothers and sisters that had chosen her rather than been stuck with her and in Nan she had a motherly figure that she’d never really had before. She’d never had people run to defend her against rumours or chased her out of an auditorium to check she was okay. Her eyes drifted to the photos on the dresser, mostly the one with the two other women in it. Maybe she should call them? No, they wouldn’t want to hear from her.

 

“Tzu…” Jihyo called tiredly, catching her attention,

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

“Will you ever tell me what happened in the warehouse?”

 

“No,” Tzuyu tried to ignore the numbness, “You really don’t want to know.”

 

Jihyo sighed, “Okay. Cuddles?”

 

Tzuyu smiled and snuggled into the blanket and letting the other two cuddle into her. Feeling for the first time in a long time: warm and happy….and safe.