The Performance (2na)

*SEMI PERM-HIATUS* Paper Planes and Rubber Band Balls

A/n - A prompt from chaengbyul.

 

The Performance (2na)

 

Sana had lost Mina to BamBam and she was going to start accepting that.

 

For the last few weeks she’d try to buy Mina her lunch but BamBam got there first, she’d buy flowers for Mina only for BamBam to buy a bigger bouquet. Hell, she’d even left secret admirer notes but Mina had thought they were from BamBam. She’d spent many nights talking to Momo about everything but the older girl just told her to confess. Sana couldn’t do it, if Mina was happy then there wasn’t anything Sana could do about it. She was in love with the girl, sometimes when you love something you need to set it free.

 

It helped that Mina hadn’t been around that often lately and it hadn’t been until Sana had gone to sign up for the showcase that she realised why. Mina was dancing to a Laboum song WITH BamBam, Sana was furious. She didn’t know why she was so angry, whether it was because her best friend went to do something without her or whether it was because she was dancing with BamBam. Sana couldn’t believe Mina hadn’t asked her to the duet. They were best friends dammit and with Momo dancing with Tzuyu of all people, it meant Sana would have to wait until next semesters showcase to take part.

 

Sana hated when Mina danced.

 

Nayeon had fallen in love with Mina because of her dancing but that wasn’t why Sana did. She had fallen in love with everything, her quiet laugh, the way she would bring her hands to her face when excited. From her penguin walk to her gummy smile, Sana adored it all. She was just so precious, too precious for Sana to ruin her but the older girl couldn’t stand someone else having her. That’s why she hated Mina dancing, it meant more people could fall in love with her. More people could have the chance to fall in love with her.

 

On Mina’s side she had fully given up on Sana, she’d seen the flowers the girl had bought for others and had thrown away once being refuted. She’d seen Sana up until late writing love notes for another one of her girls and Mina couldn’t take it any more. Being with BamBam had been like waking up from a bad dream, having someone who doted on her - who treated her the way she should be treated. She didn’t love BamBam, but maybe she could learn to? The boy hadn’t asked her out or confirmed how he felt but the notes left in her locker gave her a strong impression.

 

He was a good dancer too, perfectly capable of keeping up with Mina when practising for Laboum’s routines. They worked well together, it was easy to do things. So easy in fact it was slightly boring for Mina, there was no edge but it did leave her comfortable. It was stable and that was something Mina had wanted for a long time. A few of her friends had hinted that he would ask her out soon and Mina was fully intending to accept him, if only because he reminded her that she was allowed to be loved. That not everyone would take advantage of her.

 

The night of the showcase came and Sana saw that Jihyo and Nayeon were also attending. Sana and Jihyo shared nervous smiles, Sana glad she wasn’t the only one who didn’t one hundred percent want to be there. Sana watched Dahyun’s opening piece, hearing Nayeon’s annoying voice cheering at the girl took her bow. Jeongyeon’s band came on and Sana had to admit the prankster had talent. Sana even began to relax and enjoy the show a little bit, until Mina’s name was announced. When she and BamBam came out Sana’s heart fell.

 

Mina looked so happy.

 

They danced together with fluidity, ease movements and getting close together. Too close. Sana felt sick, her chest hurt unbearably but she had to stay. She had to be here for Mina, to show that they were still at least friends. But the longer she sat there watching them the harder and harder it became to watch them. She didn’t even realise she was crying until she felt a tear drop on her hand. Wiping her eyes quickly, she didn’t even wait for the dance to end before excusing herself through the aisle and running from the building. She found an empty classroom to spill her jealous tears.

 

Mina was enjoying the dance, it was going so well! Not one wrong move nor foot out of place. She looked out into the crowd, somewhat hidden by the bright stage lights. She could see Sana in the front row, Mina’s heart warmed slightly when she realised her friend had come to support her. She noticed Sana rubbing her eyes, was she crying? Any worry had turned to anger when Sana left the auditorium. The moment the dance was finished Mina ran after her, furious and planning to tell Sana how she felt.

 

She burst into the classroom Sana was in.

 

“What the hell Sana?”

 

“Not now, Mina.” Sana dismissed,

 

“No, now! What’s your problem? You’ve been funny with me for weeks what is wrong with you?”

 

Sana grew frustrated, “It’s none of your business!”

 

“Just tell me!” Mina’s voice dropped, “I thought we were friends.”

 

Friends? They were both beginning to hate that word.

 

Sana sighed, now or never, “Why him?”

 

“What?”

 

“Why did you chose to dance with him and not with me?”

 

Mina stayed silent, somewhat shocked.

 

“I mean….do you like him, is that why?”

 

“What if I did?”

 

“I’d be happy for you,” Sana appeared pleading but Mina was not sure why, “I should be happy for you, but I just…..”

 

“Just what?”

 

“I just….can’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

Who the hell did Sana this she was?

 

“Because you’re mine.”

 

“What?” Now Mina was very confused,

 

“I don’t like him touching you, I don’t like him looking at you, I don’t like ANYONE looking at you because you’re mine Mina! Nobody elses!”

 

Mina scoffed, “You have loads of other girls you can fu---”

 

“No! I don’t!” Sana announced desperately, “I haven’t been with anyone since….since I….”

 

“Since you…?”

 

Sana took a deep breath, “Since I realised how unbelievably in love with you I am.”

 

“But the flowers--”

 

“Were for you but BamBam’s were better.”

 

“And the spare lunches?”

 

“BamBam got there first.”

 

“Sana…”

 

“The notes were all me too, BamBam wasn’t pretending he hadn’t seen them before.”

 

“I can’t believe this.”

 

“I know,” Sana said holding back her tears, “I’m too late, but I can stay in the friend-zone. I just want you to be happy Mina, with or without me.” She turned to walk out, “I’ve embarrassed myself enough tonight.”

 

Two hands grabbed Sana’s waist and pulled her back into a shoulder, if Sana felt tears warming her back.

 

“Can we go slow?”

 

“A-As slow as you need.”

 

“Then I do too.”

 

“Do too?”

 

“I love you too.”

 

Finally.