chapter 8

Wanna kiss you, don't wanna kiss you

The blankets were so warm and soft and the pillow was so fluffy... Sleepily, Jungkook nuzzled into the pillow and pressed it tightly to his chest. Hugged it as tight as he had been hugged. He could stay like this the whole day. Nothing would get him leave his cocoon soon. His steady breathing loud in the darkness of his room he almost felt at ease. The Blessing had become a dull throb overnight, continously knocking against his rib cage from the inside as if it was his body's door and would open to unleash the overworldly force upon the world if that power just kept knocking long enough. But he was able to concentrate on other things. He would manage just fine, as always. Nobody had to know how much it put him on edge. He buried his head even deeper in the pillow. So warm, so cozy, throb throb, so  fluffy, so nice...

"TIME TO RISE AND SHINEEEE!!!", Hoseok screamed and almost threw himself out as he pushed the door open with too much force so it backfired. Just in time he brought up a hand to prevent the door smashing straight into his face. He went on as if nothing had happened. "The weather is poor, it's pissing for hours but we can make up for it if we get through the day smiliiiiiiiing!"

Jungkook crawled fully into his blanket cocoon until not even his raven hair stuck out anymore. Above him the red-head kept shouting good-mornings.

"Whyyyyyyy?", he whimpered softly.

 


With heavy steps, Jungkook slurfed towards the kitchen. It didn't matter how he looked like, he needed to eat.

"Bwahahaha! You look like a zombie, boss!", rang Hoseok's cheery voice from somewhere.

Jungkook groaned, annoyed, ruffling his hair.

"Don't you need to actually open your eyes while walking? Or can you sense the wall infront of you which you'll be running straaaaaight into?"

The younger opened one eye and glared in the voice's direction.

"Your bed hair is very cute", the elder continued. "I like that fringe. Here, have some breakfast."

"Mhmmm"

"You´re welcome." And although Jungkook didn't turn his head to see his hyung's face he could practically feel the bright smile. Without another word, he started munching his meal on automode. Trob throb throb.

There was some scraping noise as Hoseok pulled his chair back and sat next to Jungkook to keep him company. "Oh yeah, by the way I suggest you not to go near a music store today. Not until you're fully awake at least", the redhead dropped casually. "A new tape got published, Taeyang if I remember correctly.You know what that means."

Of course he knew. Many people. Hungry crowds, fans going against each other like wild animals to get hold of a CD. Pushing, pulling, kicking, screaming, boxing, trampling, spewing masses. And he... he had to go there too. Had to get hold of that tape. Just because. Because Taehyung said so, because he didn't make any progress with the target, because he had no better idea. He would have to go to a shop, fight a death battle there and come out victorious. Jungkook banged his head against the table. "Oh please, noooooo", he pleaded. But there was no way around. It had to be done and rather quickly or anything would be sold out. "I don't wanna..."

Hoseok watched him, big question marks in his eyes. So the younger explained the situation. Told him he had to do exactly what the older had warned him off.

"Crap", the older mumbled.

"Mhm, quite."

"Aw, our poor little maknae! Damned to suffer on this already not-so-beautiful day. Want me to come with you? Hyung's gonna defend our boss from the fiery masses!"

Jungkook found himself in a bone-crushing hug again. And was much more upset than at Taehyung's hug the day before. "Hyung, I can´t breathe." He slapped against the other's frame. A lie. A necessary one to get away, get free from the red-head anytime soon. "And thanks but no thanks. There is no need for you to babysit me. I'll be okay on my own." Hoseok pouted at the rejection. But it was true. Jungkook didn't want help, didn't need anyone to play mom. He could do this alone. If needed, he would prove it to them anytime again, would show his hyungs that he wasn't weak just because he was younger. He could get his sh*t done just fine. After all he often trained harder than anyone else to be at the same level as his hyungs. To be better even as he was the gang leader. He mustn't weakness let show, never under any circumstances. And honestly, how difficult could it be to get a CD?

"Ah, that reminds me", the red-head interrupted his thinking, "how are you feeling? By all means, you seemed a bit... off yesterday. Is it the Blessing? Not that I could relate but-"

"I´m fine!", Jungkook bit back. Stay strong. Don't show your vulnerability. Keep the wolves lingering at bay.

Hoseok had already his hands risen in defeat and apology. "Okay, okay. My bad. We are just worried, you know although Yoongi-hyung doesn't show it. But we are stuck together since many years, you are like family to me. So just, please. Be careful."

The younger merely spared him a glance over the shoulder. "I'm off buying that stupid CD now."

Throb throb throb throb.

 


Jungkook hit  the stone wall with his bare fist.

Once.

Twice.

Thrice.

Kicked against the nearest dustbin. Let out a frustrated scream. He had been out all day, running from one music shop to the next, fighting his way through the crowds, gambling with the sucessful ones amongst them. All in vain. The best he could do was catching a glimpse of the desired item. He hadn't even touched it. How difficult could it be to get a CD? Hella impossible, did you know! Now there he stood, thoroughly drenched from rain and sweat, soaking in his own rage. It had gotten dark so he was almost invisible as he peered around the corner, keeping himself hidden in the shadows of the side alley as he watched people busily passing by. Blonde people, people with red hair, black-haired ones, some with flaring colored and bleached hair, brunettes here and there... throb throb throb THROB!

Jungkook pressed both hands against the cool wall. Oh right, and to add to his misery with the effortlessly hunted tape, the thrumming of his Blessing had gotten worse and worse.

Since several minutes he only dared taking shallow breaths. As his Blessing was now physically pressing against his body and the skin on his chest was stretching so tight he was affraid it would rip with the smallest overburden. He could already trace a faint line at the left side of his upper body. The sweat clinging on him wasn't just from running around, fighting the crowd and being stuck in the heat of many people's bodies. No, part of it was cold sweat due to the very realistic fear of death.

Because Jungkook hadn't gone without using his Blessing for so long in quite a while. Because he didn't know what that... thing inside him did to his inner organs. Because as he had kicked the dustbin he unintentionally had taken a deeper breath, had felt his chest widening, his ribs protesting and had heard something splinter. Had felt a small crack inside of him.

And he had no idea how much longer he could do it. How much longer he could control the death caught in the shell he was. How much time he had left if he didn't do anything. What would happen if he didn't let go of a kernel of his power soon. He couldn't tell. He didn't know. So the well-known, old fear was back, eating him away with every passing hour.

The rims of his vision field turned black as he felt a panic attack approaching. Jungkook shivered, cold sweat running down his forehead, slicking his armpits and hands. He knew by far too less about his Blessing. Which could be said about most Blessed as almost every Blessing was unique so there were no detailed books, no schools for Blessed to learn about their powers, no way to train... So what if he died? What if his Blessing got set free? What if, after he had been focused on killing Park Jimin and maybe Taehyung too, this thing would end the task without him? Would, once unbound from the shackle he was, his Blessing go after the target and the strange smiling, laughing, hugging brunet?

Jungkook didn't feel extraplusordinary bad for the author. For his current main target. But for his best friend. The ravenhead's hands slid down the wall and fell down, no longer providing halt. And the wall used the lack of contact to start moving. Slowly encircling its victim. Turning roun and round, confining Jungkook. Stay strong. Don't show your vulnerability. As if having heard his thoughts, the wall laughed at him. And turned even faster until it danced around him like a dervish.

Then from somewhere, he heard a woman's voice. "I remember you from earlier."

With sheer will power, Jungkook forced the wall to a stop. How he suceeded, he couldn't tell. In the alley entrance, between the stream of people and him, stood a woman in a short black dress, her blood red lips stretched to a smirk.

"Wanna make a deal?"

 

 


 

​​​​​Please feel free to imagine sleepy Jungkook as in BTS run episode 31 (? I guess... the one where they all have to fall asleep and sing the tomato song afterwards) ^^