chapter 5

Wanna kiss you, don't wanna kiss you

"And I then I noticed the real power behind everything. Did you know cats rule the world? I mean, open your eyes", collateral Kim slurred while downing his nth drink.

Jungkook watched the older sway forth and back, sitting dangerously close on the edge of his chair. He would fall down any moment. Not that Jungkook intended to do anything against it - he was too distracted by that one strange sensation. He wouldn't call it a feeling. No, feelings were for soft losers. And that Kim was not of importance, of importance was his target Park Jimin. Who had invited him to the party, was the reason why he was stuck in a stupid bunny costume and now did his best to ignore him. Jungkook didn't get it. He just... didn't get it.

So now he sat there, next to collateral Kim next to target Park. On the outside paying attention to the rubbish the brunette was telling while swaying to the rhythm. On the inside running in circles because he couldn't understand the behavior of his target. Why did he, Jeon Jungkook, invited to a strange party after fawning over the author for days, get ignored by the very person who invited him as if he was nothing more but thin air? How dare he ignoring him?!

Stop. Take deep breaths. Slowly. Breathe in, and out, take your time. And again. He casted an understanding smile to the collateral who kept talking about cats and their plan for world dominance. Now he merely walked fast in circles. Oh yes, conversation. Conversation to break the ice. Jungkook leaned back in the attempt to lock eyes with the author. "What do you think about our world kitty kings?" The author didn't even lift his head to him, instead he grabbed the collateral's wrist and casted his best friend a worried look. Miraculously, the latter seemed to understand although he was quite drunk.

"M'kay, Jiminie. Let's go?"

And off they went, target and collateral arm in arm, leaving a slightly confused Jungkook behind. It went on exactly like that, Jungkook following the author everywhere, pretending to be his loyal cute whipped dog, being ignored by the author the whole time. As if a piece of meat had been hanging in front of his nose. He had tried to swallow the meat, had accepted the invitation to the party. And then the author had forcefully taken the meat out of his mouth again and thrown it far away. Damn, he had underestimated this case. So now, Jungkook had come to a conclusion. If he wanted to get close to his current target he had to use his friend. He had to reach his target through his best friend.

 


"Waaah, Jungkookie! What a coincidence to meet you again. Come here, sit down, eat with me, talkeu, let's go."

Coincidence, my ing . You call that research. It appears to be part of my job so obviously I am good at it.

Jungkook smiled sheepishly, grabbed the food he had bought and took a seat across from the collateral. They made smooth conversation about this and that and it proved extremely helpful Jungkook had some background knowledge about the other's interests (thanks to their awkward on-hold conversation) so he made sure to stir their talking topics in a direction the older felt comfortable with. Their tea went cold as the collateral kept explaining his latest weird dream about sheep in wolf costumes who ran a post office and used bubble gum instead of stamps which occasionally led to technical difficulties.

Jungkook made a show to gawk in disbelief. "Holy sh*t, I had the exact same dream a week ago!"

The elder's eyes lit up and he flashed a huge rectangular smile. It looked funny and... somehow cute. No way, erase that. It sounds an awfully lot like you´'e showing affection here.

"Really?"

Jungkook scoffed. "Are you kidding? Of course not." He flicked the other's forehead in a playful manner.

"Yah! Don't say that!" The collateral pouted. "I can't do anything against the weird stuff happening to me, okay? Like, some time ago I had a really, really strange talk with some Blessed on the phone. We didn't call each other, hell we don't know each other at all but suddenly we were connected and had to talk. It was entertaining though. Like, did you know this is a thing?  But I certainly don't walk around with a sign hanging around my neck saying 'abnormal happenings draw a number and get in line here'. I don't, okay?"

The elder seemed desperate to prove his innocence, even pulling his puppy eyes. And again there was that sensation in Jungkook's chest, long forgotten and almost extinguished. He didn't cope with it. He didn't want it, he didn't like it. So he downed his cold peppermint tea and excused himself before that thing in his chest could settle in.

 


"I don´t like our current task."

Yoongi lazily raised his head, a mildly surprised expression on his face. "It is well paid though."

"Yes, but I feel kinda strange."

His second smirked. "You feel? Well, that's a first."

"Ugh, just forget it."

 


Jungkook groaned as his cellphone rang and the name 'deep voice huge smile weirdo' appeared. However, to maintain his role he answered the call as sweetly as he could manage. "Hello hyung, what's up?"

"Jungkookie, let's go party! Karaoke!!!", the deep voice immediately boomed happily. In the back of his mind he noticed that the between the deep voice and the appearance of the collateral didn't bother him anymore. In fact, it was pleasant to listen to the unique voice. But wait, karaoke? Like, singing? Jungkook snapped back to reality. No way he would sing. He couldn't sing in front of other people. Especially as he had introduced himself as an Average to both target and collateral. And he desperately needed to maintain the farce.

"Uh, sorry I can't."

"Ah, come on. Pleeease?", the elder begged.

"Hyung, I am rather busy right now."

"What are you doing then?"

"...photographing door knobs?"                   

There was loud, whole-heartedly laughter on the other end of the line. "That's so weird! What kind of photographer are you, shooting door knobs instead of people?"

"Hey, you are the weird one here. Alien", Jungkook retorted.

"Yah, don't talk to me like that. I won't ask you out to karaoke anymore."

"Fine by me", was the younger's dry reply.

"Fine."

"Yeah."

"Alright. Bye then", the other ended the call, chuckling. "Pffft, door knobs..."

Jungkook watched the screen of his cellphone turning dark. That's right, he always told targets or other strangers he was a photographer. Because if he introduced himself as an Average and apparently Averages needed a job for earning money then he needed to come up with something reasonable. So. Now, he needed to make photos. Of door knobs and other stuff. Because that collateral seemed to be the kind of person showing interest and wanting to see actual pictures he made.

No, that was wrong. The collateral was a person and had a name. The name was Kim Taehyung.