chapter 32

Wanna kiss you, don't wanna kiss you

Jungkook ran a hand over his face. "Hyung, I´m not sure..."

"What? You think you can´t do such an easy task?" his second taunted with quirked eyebrows. Baiting him to retord that yes, of course he could do it perfectly. But things were different now. Had been different for a while and Jungkook didn´t let himself be baitet to acting strong and cocky.

So he just muttered "It doesn´t feel right anymore."

"You´ll have to elaborate."

Jungkook sighed, head in his hands. "I mean, I feel like I completely forgot how to do my job. It´s so awkward, courting random people and it´s as if I´m a bloody beginner again, I have no idea how this is supposed to work out."

Yoongi snorted. "You never had problems with courting random people though, brat." 

"Because I didn´t know Tae back then!"

"Ah." His second leaned back in his chair with a victorious smirk. "Now we are getting somewhere. Well, of course it feels wrong to you to do any task now. As you are practically being unfaithful to your lover---"

"He is not my lover" Jungkook hissed through clenched teeth.

"...to your almost, soon-to-be lover and don´t you interrupt me brat and thus feel already bad at the mere thought of kissing or touching somebody else." Yoongi ended his explanation. "But you sh*tting your pants helps neither me nor you so you better pull yourself together right now. Digging a grave for you wasn´t exactly on my to do list for today."

End of discussion.

Yoongi effectively shut up Jungkook complaining by pointing on a picture.

"This is your target for tonight. Reason for task is her being part of an arranged marriage with our client and they don´t click at all. I checked the client, he actually has an affair with another man but didn´t come out to his parents so they forced him in a marriage with that rich girl and he no longer wants to do it all. The target knows something is off but her husband won´t talk about anything with her so she lately goes out to get drunk or at least distracted from her uneasiness."

Jungkook studied the photograph of his new target. It showed a small woman in a beige, expensive-looking silky jumpsuit. Her face was framed by short black hair with a blue shimmer cut in an angled sleek bob. Her eyes cunning. And Jungkook could already tell despite the target seeming to be small and delicate she held herself with confidence and would be quite a piece of work. He groaned.

Next to him his second snickered. "You noticed, right? It won´t be exactly easy. That´s why your role is going to be the seductive god." He got up. "You can do the rest of preparation without me so I´m going to nap now. Oh, and I got you this."

Yoongi retrieved some tiny can from his pocket and chucked it to Jungkook. "For your lips. Now get to work, time is valuable."

Jungkook opened the lid and sniffed at his new lip balm. Right, kissing can be a rough job. Then the previous order reached his mind. Seductive god. "I don´t know if I can still seduce properly..."

And somehow Yoongi caught it from across the room and sneered "Seducing was literally your job for the past years. Hell yes you can. Stop worrying kid, it´s just a simple job. It means nothing, it only needs to help you stay alive. Don´t be a pain." Finally he left. Oh so heart-warming.

"... Yes, hyung" Jungkook whispered to the closed door.

Then he got to work.

 


He felt so out of place. This was not your usual night club were lost souls meet and the common folks want to have fun. This was a very very fancy penthouse bar where everything screamed 'luxury' in your face. Jungkook wanted out the moment he entered the etablissement. At least he didn´t feel overdressed any longer.

He subtly checked himself in one of those narrow floor-to-ceiling mirrors. The cool black satin shirt hugging his upper body tucked into tight black pants showing off his muscular thighs, polished black shoes... and everything topped by his jacket covered with glistening embroidery of gold swirls. Not to mention how long he had worked on the make up, even added some golden powder to make his skin glow and give him an slight ethereal look. Now it was time to see whether he had done a decent job with getting ready.

He schooled that typical rich a**-expression on his face - utter boredom laced with overconfidence - and strolled to an empty canapé close to where his target sat. Surrounded by other men like prey. Which didn´t mean anything. The game had just begun.

As Jungkook sat there cross-legged alone on his canapé (and made sure it remained that way by glowering and snarling at whoever dared to make a move on him) he carefully watched the scene unfold. Watched the five men courting his target and the woman again and again shoving them off, both sides testing the waters. He started to sort the men to different kinds of stereotypes. 

First, there was the big show-off. As usually without many brain cells. In today´s case it was a buff muscle-monster with bleached short hair, stuffed in some black suit and presenting his huge rolex to everybody. Trying to actually buy the target with all the expensive stuff he wore. And not getting the woman was not impressed at all.

Then there was everything-for-free shop, a skinny man running in circles from his place to the bar and back to get a nice drink for the target, some tarte, a plate with sliced fruits, a handkerchief, a white rose (snatched from its vase on a small table), a new glass of champagne... all on his costs of course.

Third in the row was the story-teller, a red-head with a shirt sporting an awful bubble pattern. He was busying himself spinning some lame story and throwing in as many jokes as possible for entertainment purposes. His hands were flying in every direction as he was talking with loud voice. Jungkook couldn´t hear all of his story from his spot but he was pretty sure the woman laughed more about the red-head´s facial expressions and clumsy movements than his jokes.

Next in line was the narcistic Mr. Handsome. A slender brunet wearing thick silver eyeliner fitting to his fancy earrings adorned with glass crystals (or more likely real diamonds, this was the world of the rich after all) and to  the designer piece he was wearing. The fabric looked like some abstract painting in lilac and yellow and there were frills everywhere.

Jungkook grinned at the ridiculous attire. Grinned even more as he noticed Mr. Handsome changing his posture every twenty seconds from one modelling stance to the next. He didn´t need to see the young man´s face to know he was sporting various kinds of subtle-not-so-subtle inviting facial expressions.

And last but not least there was the walking friend zone. A shy black-haired boy with glasses playing nice and being absolutely no match for the target.

Honestly, it was better then watching a soap opera. Jungkook stayed on his place and witnessed the many different kinds of flirting directed at the woman - to no avail. He smirked. It was as the story-teller took a break in favor of chugging some drink down his throat and the show-off taking his place, talking about his big rings and his mansion on the beach (helplessly messing up the different things and only talking rubbish) that the woman lifted her gaze. Eyes rolling in annoyance and boredom.

And looked straight at Jungkook. Amusement still tugging up his lips Jungkook raised his glass of whatever (where did it even come from?) at the woman and inclined his head as greeting.

The woman raised an eyebrow, assessing him. Seductive god. Jungkook didn´t break their eye contact as he lifted the glass to his mouth and took a deep sip.

Apparently one of the other men had noticed the shift in attention as the everything-for-free shop practically smashed a plate with caviar in the woman´s face. Effectively getting her to look - or better glare - at him. She gave the man a strained smile took a bite from the treat and demonstratively looked in the opposite direction. Dismissing him.

And for a change the skinny man did get the rejection as he padded away with hanging head, the almost full plate in one hand. As he came across Jungkook he glowered and took an audible breath through his nose. So ungentleman-like, so different to his previous behavior. Jungkook merely toasted in the angry and envious man´s direction. Oh, he certainly could get used to acting snobby...

But this was not about what he wanted, Jungkook remembered and looked back to his target. The woman clad into another fine jumpsuit much like the one from the picture was already glancing over to him. So he made a show for her, taking another sip of the sparkling alcohol and wiping off the remnants, slowly dragging a finger over his lower lip. He didn´t miss her eyes following his every movement as he tucked one hand beneath his chin. Subtly angling his head in the direction of the guy who just had given up and left, as if in question what about him.

The target waved a hand and shook her head. Jungkook lifted an eyebrow. He knew this small gesture made women going crazy (and some men too). It didn´t fail to work this time again. For his target kept looking back at him, checking him out while stirring the straw in her drink.

They kept communicating nonverbally, which already gave Jungkook a big advantage towards the remaining four men as they all missed the signs. The woman silently complaining about what idiots they all were with inaudible sighs and eyerolls and Jungkook chuckling about her misery from afar. Really, it had never been a contest with all those men being incredibly big fools. Not as he pointed with his head to the exit and earned a contemplating slow nod.

Nobody of the both of them made a move though.

Not until Mr. Handsome changed to a much space-consuming pose, making the story-teller retreat and with the next exaggerated arm movement hitting the woman´s chest straight. That was it, the final drip. The woman didn´t need to utter a single word. She just stared at the man and slowly got up, making story-teller flinch and back off. Without a good-bye she stalked past her chasers to retrieve her cloak. Jungkook took this as his cue to get up and leave, not bothering to look whether the target would follow him. She would. So he got out the restaurant or club or bar or whatever it actually was and leaned against the corridor wall, waiting.

He didn´t have to wait long.

"I´m impressed you endured that tragedy for so long" he mused as the target made her way towards him.

"Yes, I didn´t want to be hasty. Though it seems my first impression of those cowards had been right." 

Her charisma was even more impressive from close up. She might have been a head smaller than Jungkook but the way she held herself made up for it more than enough. Indeed the small woman was a force not to be underestimated. For the five men had done that very mistake, thinking they were the ones hunting. Only to find themselves being the prey. They never had a chance. But as the target was unabashedly raking her eyes up and down Jungkook´s body  and he returning the favor - equals. They both were equals in power and worth a shot for one night. Or at least so the woman thought.

"Want to get away from the cowards then?" Jungkook suggested, offering the woman an arm. 

She grabbed on his arm, feeling up the muscles ripple beneath her hand. "Gladly."

Jungkook made smaller steps than usual so she could keep up with him as he stirred the target out of the building and away from the thrumming nightlife.

"May I know my savoir´s name by any chance?", the target was the one to break the silence. 

Jungkook cocked his head as if thinking about it. "Hm... I´m affraid no. I don´t like giving my name lightly. In return I won´t ask for your name either unless you wish so."

"And why is that?" Her voice was calm, controlled - masking her curiousity.

He smirked. "It gives me an air of mystey, don´t you think?"

"Indeed", the woman chuckled, her grip tightening. 

He slowed down. "Allow me to ask you a question."

She hummed.

"How come a woman with a strong personality like you surrounds herself with subjects like those five idiots?"

For some steps she kept silent. Jungkook didn´t expect an answer anymore as she finally spoke up, her voice now considerably thinner.

"Maybe I´m not always strong. Maybe there are times I´m not sure what´s going on. And as I can´t succeed in figuring out the problem maybe I try to do something less frustrating. Sometimes failing at the 'less frustrating' part though, just like back there." She straightened her back and sounded more confident as she went on. "Or maybe I just think people can be quite interesting to watch and like to make a game of whether I can guess their personality straight on. Maybe I like to watch out for humans to catch my interest."

Jungkook stopped as they had reached an empty train station. The cameras broken, as his second had claimed. "Does that mean I caught your interest?"

"Hm, why don´t you try to find out?" She stepped around to fully face him, a suggestive smile on her face. Her hand was already travelling down his arm, caressing the embroidery on his jacket, catching his hand with hers and guiding it to her waist. 

"Aren´t you greedy", Jungkook murmured as his other hand lifted up the target´s chin. Their eyes locked again and for a moment Jungkook thought if he hadn´t been madly inlove with Tae he would have liked that woman very very much. Not that it mattered. Shame was the last word crossing his mind before he leaned in to place a peck on the waiting lips. had to be savoured.

Just is was not . Their mouths were barely touching as his Blessing jolted awake and barrelled past his chest, unleashing itself at the woman. Everything went so fast he couldn´t keep up with the events. One moment the woman was taunting him, the next one she laid on the platform with limps twisted in a sickening way, mouth still open in surprise, Jungkook´s Blessing howling through the metro tunnels and Jungkook was on his knees as all energy left him.

Yes, he was no longer on edge, didn´t feel like going insane anymore and his part of the task was done. But he did no longer see the abandoned metro station with the corpse laying on the other end, did not feel the woman´s life pass to him and start its fight with his Blessing. Blood rushed in his ears. It was too similar, so so similar to that time.

 

He was back at the playground. The sun was burning without mercy, the grass already yellow and most plants burnt. Not that such a thing could stop a kid from playing.

"WOHOOO", little Jungkook cheered as he flung out and bent his tiny legs again and again to rise higher on the swing. To rise until his feet could touch the sun. He stretched his legs, his feet black specks against the blinding light. "Mommy, look, I reached the sun!"

His mom laughed from her place on the bench between other mothers. "That´s great, sweetie! Do you want to come down to earth again and eat your ice now, little sun pirate?"

Jungkook slowed down and jumped from the swing. It was instantly taken by another child.

"Mo-hoooom", he whined as he shuffled towards her. "You know you don´t have to call me that! I´m a big boy now..."

She laughed again and ruffled his hair. "Okay okay, apologies, young man. Here is your ice. Stracciatella, just how you wanted it."

Grinning from one ear to another, Jungkook took the ice cup from his mother´s hand, the matter with sweetie-not-sweetie long since forgotten. "Whrrrrhrhrhrhr! It´s so coooooooold!" He shivered at the friction.

His mom and all the women around couldn´t help but chuckle again. "That´s why it´s called ice cream, little sun pirate. And now hurry before it runs away."

Already digging the small spoon in the cold mass, Jungkook got onto his toes and gave his mom a peck. "Thank you, mommy. You are the best!"

His mother smiled at him endearingly. It was then he felt something strange in his tummy. Something that hadn´t been there before. It was a bit like a spot of ink but in 3D. Or like a living slime ball, constantly changing its shape. Or maybe a jelly fish? He didn´t know. But it felt quite funny.

Suddenly there was a strong wind coming from... from where? He turned around to see if some of the other kids were playing a trick on him because there was no way the wind came from him. And then his mother was laying face-down in the sand and didn´t move.

People began to shout, to drag their children away from him and hurry away. Another strange feeling hit Jungkook, a new small slime ball melting through and inside him and playing Kung Fu Fighting with the older slime ball. Jungkook did no longer think it was funny.

For his mother  didn´t react as he kept shaking her and begging her to wake up and the playground was empty, his friends all gone and nobody there to help him. The ice cream melted into a tiny white and black pool. His mother never woke up again.

 

Tears were sliding down Jungkook´s cheeks as he returned to the here and now. He was laying on the cold stone, crumpled to a small ball of despair. He remained like that for the rest of the evening.

 


Taehyung covered his mouth to stiffle a gasp.

He had just wanted to go for a walk and actually get his mind off from a certain lying someone. He had not meant to walk in on that certain someone being all over a woman he had never seen in his life. Not that it mattered he didn´t know her. No, that was not the point. The point was, Kook- a certain someone was kissing somebody. Kissing and touching and flirting. And that somebody wasn´t him. 

Furiously blinking his tears away, Taehyung shoved himself off from the wall and started to run as fast as he could to get away from that.

Had he really been wrong about Jungkookie, about thinking they had something special? Why was he kissing that woman? What the was going on here?! Taehyung felt a dull ache in his chest, quickly spreading across his whole body. He barely managed to type on his phone and block that ing idiot´s number before his hand went numb too. It felt like his arm was ripped off. Perhaps if he could move his fingers again and delete the contact his other arm would be ripped off too...

Taehyung´s knees gave out and he slumped down. He didn´t care people were staring as he curled himself to a ball and rocked back and forth on his heels. Sobbing his eyes out in the middle of a parking lot. He had never felt so lonely in his entire life.