chapter 28

Wanna kiss you, don't wanna kiss you

"So basically you are telling me you wanted to murder me but somehow started to like me so now you are rescuing me?"

Jimin´s eyebrows were raised to the sky.

Jungkook gravelly nodded. No lies anymore. Even though he wanted to do nothing more than jumping out the car and leave Jimin to not have this conversation now. At least he didn´t need to make eye contact as he had to look on the street while driving. Better than nothing.

"And why did you seduce me then? You could just have killed me in a dark alley or something."

Jungkook sighed. "It doesn´t work like that, hyung. I don´t kill people for fun like some sick madman. It´s because of my Blessing. I´m an impure, a taker." He hated to say those words. Impure. Taker. Killer. It burnt like bile in his throat.

JImin´s mouth formed a silent 'O'. He threw the younger a sympathetic look as it was so clearly audible how much he disliked to say it out loud. Making Jungkook only feel worse. Jimin, the kindest soul on earth was pitying the person who had tried so long to murder him. How could´ve he ever thought about actually fulfilling the task?

"Then what is your Blessing if I may ask?" It wasn´t more than a whisper. As if the author was affraid to hurt him, break him. Or maybe he was just affraid of the answer, to know what monster Jungkook was exactly.

For a moment it was silent except for the noises of the car speeding through the country.

"...I kill people with a kiss."

More silence as the other processed what he just learned. Then there was a sharp intake of breath. Jungkook didn´t need to look for knowing Jimin´s eyes were big as plates now.

"That´s why you slapped Tae-tae! You were affraid to kill him against your will."

"So he told you, huh?" Jungkook tried to sound unbothered, like it was a normal random conversation. He failed miserably as even he himself could hear the bitterness in his voice.

"Of course he did!" Jimin proudly puffed his chest.

"I´m his best friend, remember? He literally tells me everything. And gosh can it be annoying sometimes. Since he met you he talks about nothing else anymore. 'Jungkook is really cool, isn´t he?' 'Oh my god, Jungkookie said he likes my music, I wonder what is his favorite song, should I write a song for him maybe? Or no, first about him, then for him.' 'Jiminie~ Kookie said he likes cheesecake, where do I get the best cheesecake in town?' 'Jiminie, look at these photos I took from him, isn´t he gorgeous? I mean in an artistic way only, of course! But look at his doe eyes and how cute he smiles...' Oh god, I could go on forever."

He buried the face in his hands. "It´s so damn obvious you like each other. That´s why I was incredibly confused as you still kept chasing me." The blond giggled. "By the way, you flirt like a second-grader."

"Hyung, I´ll have you know I expert in many ways to win my target´s heart. The love-struck idiot was just the role I figured would appeal you the most." But that wasn´t really mattering now. No, what mattered were the things Jimin had just said.

Does this mean what I think it means? Is this really how Tae feels about me?

"Pffft, whatever. So, were are you bringing me and why did I come with you without asking?"

"To a safe place. And you did because you value your life. Which is good."

Jungkook shortly averted his eyes from the road to give Jimin a pointed look. "And can you please turn off the wind already? You should know by now I told the truth and I don´t want to catch a cold." For the older had been using his Blessing on him since he got into the car. And the wind circling inside the cabin was very chilly.

"So you noticed", Jimin mumbled embarassed, referring to their supposed-to-be date and how he had run off.

Jungkook scoffed. "Well it was pretty damn obvious, don´t you think?"

"Y-yeah, I guess..." The shyness didn´t stick for long though. Jimin was too curious. "What happened that day anyway?"

"Hm... let´s just say I really didn´t get hold of this god-damned tape at all. There was somebody who had more luck. And certain circumstances caused me to exchange saliva with that person."

"...strange way to put it", the blond mumbled. 

Jungkook ignored him.

The rest of the ride they didn´t talk anymore. Eventually, the silence got too pressing and Jungkook the radio. The glorious deep voice of Tae sounded through the car and filled the younger´s heart to the brim.

 


"YAAAAH, JIMINIE!" Hoseok came running full-speed at the baffled author as soon as they had parked the car.

While both of his hyungs played around a bit, Jungkook collected dirt and leaves to cover the car then laid a special blanket over it. They were deep in the woods in a well-hidden valley. Their house - one of several hideouts they had just in case - was build in the soil as part of the valleys walls. A bit hobbit-like. But cooler. And, well, way less obvious. The only thing visible was the door knob. Jungkook smeared some dirt on it too. Problem fixed.

Now the house was invisible and the car had become a hill in the valley.

He ushered his hyungs inside the house, already getting overly paranoid. The three of them got comfortable in the small house and soon lingered on the carpet playing cards. Jimin of all things had taken the pack of cards he got from Tae ages ago with him as necessity. For that he had Hoseok cooing all over him.

Things went pretty well for regarding their situation. One room was packed with food and supplies. They had to share a bedroom, matresses squeezed against each other  but it was okay.

After the first night Jungkook had made a point to let Hoseok sleep in the middle and take the blunt of Jimin´s coala cuddling. One night had been enough for him. Yes, the youngest was much more cool with skinship now but not that much and in general with Tae only anyway. He didn´t need the small author hug him tightly every night. Or let´s say every time they slept. Because they were practically living in a cave without natural light and didn´t leave if not really necessary. So it was safe to say their daily rhythm was messed up. 

Their cave-house-hideout-whatever had six rooms: a tiny bathroom, a kitchen, a living room with nothing in but an old couch, some books and a laptop, the sleeping chamber, the storage room packed to the brim and an empty room. Kitchen and living room were at the ground level. From the living room a trap door lead to the sleeping chamber, bathroom and storage room.

And several steps below was a room as big as the others together, taking the whole floor for itself. There was not a single thing inside, only thick walls with some holes for air cilrculation, a ceiling strong enough to withstand a bomb impact and a door. The door was always closed, leading to a long tunnel. Hoseok was key keeper for that one.

Jungkook found himself going to the empty room at the lowest level every day. There he sat on the cold soil and sang quietly. He wouldn´t lie, he was worried the air erupting from him, filling the room and travelling through the holes and pipes to get out might be a risk. For he did not know where those pipes ended. And if due to his Relief somewhere in the forest leaves and stuff were flying around for no reason it might weird out people seing it. So he just prayed nobody would witness it.

After two days Hoseok mentioned he noticed Jungkook vanishing below for hours and asked him if he was alright. The younger brushed it off with an assuring smile.

From then on his routine changed. Getting up, eating breakfast, doing some workout (only a bit at once or else he would suffocate his hyungs in sweat stench, their air system wasn´t that good) staying in touch with his second via laptop, lunch, thinking about different plans for whatever turn of events. Jimin was holding back at this most of the time, 'letting the pro´s do their work'. But if he chimed in it often was an important hint and to be considered.

Then it was time for dinner and doing the chores. If all tasks of the day (or whatever) were done they played some games, talked or read until getting tired.

And as soon as his hyungs were asleep Jungkook would snatch the key from Hoseok and go to the tunnel. Tunnels, apparently. For hours he would walk around in the system of different tunnels, some old and so small he needed to crawl, some plastered with big stones, some partly blocked by roots growing from ground to ceiling. Every time he took an other way, trying to memorize it and put it together to a map in his head. All the while singing to his heart´s content and keeping his Blessing in check.

When the others were awake Jungkook made an effort to bond with Jimin and not make him feel like some kind of prisoner. Eventually they became good friends. The author was so much more comfortable around him now as he knew the truth (or at least a big part of it) and Jungkook behaved like himself instead of playing a role. They nagged each other playfully quite a lot, Jimin being annoyingly clingy and cheesy and Jungkook teasing him about his height on a daily basis. 

When the others were sleeping tight he explored the tunnels, sang and sang and sang. He almost did not sleep at all, singing and wandering the whole... night? Let´s say sleep break. So when he got back he snatched some makeup to hide the big dark circles under his eyes. For his pale skin he could always point out how long it had been since he last saw daylight. On the brim of fainting from exhaustion he then would lay on his matress and, too tired for even dreaming mumbling Tae´s name before he was a goner.

This was Jungkook´s life now.

 


"I didn´t hear you sing for a while now, Jungkook", Hoseok remarket at the dinner one day. "And you look better too. Do you get along with your Blessing now?"

Jungkook mumbled something incoherrent and nodded.

Look better, my ! I just needed some time to figure out the perfect way how to apply the makeup.

"Aaah, I´m so glad you are better now!" The red-head leapt up to hug him from across the table. Jimin immediately followed suit and they cuddled for some minutes. Jungkook gave his hyungs a warm smile while thanking them. He had practiced smiling, genuinely smiling and deceiving one of his closest friends infront of the mirror for days.

Hoseok ruffled his hair in a playful manner. "I´m really happy I don´t need to worry about that anymore."

Jungkook stayed quiet as he shyly smiled to him again. Somewhere muffled between their chests Jimin giggled.

"I still can´t believe you are a criminal, Hoseok-hyung. It´s so not like you at all. Just look how sunny and cheery you behave and all."

The red-head puffed his chest and smirked, giving the smaller a knowing look. "And that´s good because like this I never get suspected and can do a good job. Besides", he added and a tiny fraction of the light in his eyes went dull "By far not all criminals are bad people, Jimin-ah."

The author pulled away to ponder about the last sentence. Hoseok took the chance to hug Jungkook even tighter. "Really, I´m happy for you."

Jungkook was thankful his face was pressed against a chest or else he would´ve needed to smile again.

 


This sleep break Jungkook took particulary long wandering around and singing loudly.

As he got back and dropped dead onto his matress he got a total of one hour sleep before his hyungs woke him up again. The makeup was doing its job rather well. Both Jimin and Hoseok were not suspicious at all. Thanks god. Jungkook didn´t want to be a burden or to appear weak. He would get through this sh*t. Alone. Eventually.

No concerned glance was casted to him as he groaned, struggling hard to wake up. His hyungs were busy rock-paper-scissoring who would make breakfast. Jungkook was relieved and bitter at the same time.

Funny how everybody thinks I´ve gotten better.

I haven´t.

Not at all.

I´ve just gotten better at hiding it.

 


I am sorry I am sorry I am sorry. I know you guys are probably tired of all the angst and uncertainity and fed up with all of this. Maybe you even stopped reading this story so far. But I need you to know this chapter is essential for the following chapters. I can´t take major changes on my script anymore. Hope you understand this and are still with me. 

But I can promise you a very heated "chapter 30" ^^

Fighting!

Also, I don´t know how about you but I am currently living and breathing that "Don´t leave me" preview. Soooooooooo amazing!!! Oh my god! WAAAAAH /////

One last note: today it snowed here and there was a nasty cold wind, everybody coughing and sniffing. Wherever you are I hope you are healthy and alright ^^