chapter 49

Wanna kiss you, don't wanna kiss you

As Jimin ended his call and turned around he wasn't prepared to stare right back into his best friend's eyes. Taehyung's dark orbs being comically widened. He was shaking, shaking as much as the author himself from staying in the cold. The brunet however was still inside, behind a protective glass door though shaking like a leaf in the autumn wind.

Jimin didn't know what to do - he wanted to go back inside and hug his friend until he was not shaking anymore, until they were both not shaking anymore but he also knew this was nothing they could just hug out. Awkwardly he opened the door and stepped inside the warmth. With every step he took Taehyung moved back, away from him. But didn't break their stare. 

"How much..." Jimin coughed. "How much did you hear?" There was already a bitter taste in his mouth as he dreaded the answer.

Taehyung shifted on his feet, his gaze unfamiliar. "Enough."

The author scowled. Yes, if he was to write a book this would be a good phrase, a nice cliffhanger, a single word loaded with so many implications. In real life though? In real life, right now Jimin was hating that single word. It could literally mean everything. So he asked again, teeth just slightly gritted. 

"How much. Did you hear?"

The singer wrapped his arms around his chest as he answered, shivers still wracking his body. His voice was not half as steady as his gaze.

"I head something about a terrible place. A prison far away from here that deserves the title 'hell on earth'. The place where they brought my Kookie and are doing god-knows-what to him. And", his last words a whisper "you have lied to me." 

"Tae, I-"

"No, Chim! You have lied to me. You have lied to me about the criminals you talked to. Have lied to me about your own safety, denied that you bring yourself in danger as a spy for the government."

Finally, Taehyung turned his head sidewards and broke the eye contact. "You lied to me."

Jimin couldn't hold still any longer and closed the distance between them to hug his best friend tightly. The other didn't react, didn't hug him back. It felt like hugging a rock. "I'm sorry", he mumbled in Taehyung's shoulder, swaying back and forth, repeating it like a mantra. "I'm sorry, Tae-Tae." 

The brunet laughed. "Why does this sound familiar?", he mused.

And then he melted into the touch, answering the hug and resting his chin at Jimin's shoulder. Looking in the far distance. 

"So that's how it is? My best friend has a double-life as legal spy and my boyfriend is being tortured and exposed to the hands of mad scientists."

Jimin hummed.

"How exactly do you plan to get him out there, Chim-chim?"

The blond guided them back to the couch. "Well first of all... we need help."

Taehyung was already half-done dialing Hoseok's number as Jimin slapped his hand away.

"But not their help!"

"What, why?! They are his friends", the brunet protested.

"Yes, they are. But they are also criminals. And when they try to rescue Jungkook, it will make things only worse. They will be hunted and can get imprisoned before they arrive. No law is protecting them from justice. They are murderers and have helped at many murders while not being Blessed. When the government dropped Jungkook and the police was on him, then who says they aren't after Yoongi-sshi and Hobi too? They would be allowed to shoot them at sight by law. So no help from them."

"...Oh."

"Yeah, oh."

Taehyung nuzzled in Jimin's side. They were curled up against each other like two cats. "But then who?"

Jimin mindlessly carded his fingers through his best friend's hair. "Namjoon-sshi is going to help us. I texted him earlier, before I made the call. He will be here tomorrow at five sharp."

"Five in the evening?"

"Five in the morning, ", the blond chuckled. "It's gonna be a long ride."

The brunet muttered something about inhumane daytimes and cruel best friends. Jimin wisely chose to ignore it.

"Okay, and what's the next part of your masterplan?"

"The next part is me going in there signing tons of paperwork and dropping some threats here and there until Jungkook is free again. Then we'll haul him into the car and bring him to a healer noona close-by who owes me to patch him up if needed. And if that worked, we will come back home and phase two is going to start."

"Phase two?"

"It's a surprise. But a good one if everything works out. A very good one", Jimin assured.

"Kay. Sounds good. So... bed?"

This time Jimin was laughing for real. "Yes, time to go to bed. Good night, Tae-Tae."

"Night, Chim..."

 


"Aish Jiminie, I'm always happy to help you out but why is it you only contact me when you have a huge problem? I thought we were friends", was Namjoon's way of greeting the next morning.

The author smiled apologetically as he invited the tall man for a cup of coffee - it would be a long day for all of them after all. While both Jimin and Namjoon were sipping their coffee in the kitchen (Taehyung scrunching his nose at the stench of bitter dark liquid) they went through the plan once more. Jimin's contact hadn't given away much the previous night so Namjoon would need to use his Blessing almost the whole drive.

They crossed out a few areas nonetheless, leaving eight potential locations. It was better than nothing.

After they've had their coffeine boost they hurried to the car and went off to rescue Jungkook. Only fifteen minutes after five it was still dark, the city life stuck between still calming down and having yet to awake.

At the beginning Taehyung rambled about this and that and Jimin did his best to keep him going, piping in at every possibility to distract his best friend. Around seven the sky changed from dark to a steely twilight grey and Jimin gave out sandwiches and cut some fruits for breakfast.

For maybe half an hour nobody talked as they were busy munching their food. When they were done Jimin the radio. After the first Taeyang song was played the ice was broken and both Jimin and Taehyung were singing along to every song, Namjoon joining them occassionally.

Lunch came and went by, taking the ease away. They hadn't made a longer stop yet and aten more sandwiches, vegetables, crackers and beef sticks in the car. Namjoon driving since seven hours and now constantly using his Blessing. Wrapped in wool blankets the singing and conversations had died down. Nobody was pretending to be relaxed anymore, tension steadily thickening the air.

"You think this will work?"

"I don't know, Tae-Tae. It has to."

Jimin kept track of the possible prison locations they passed. Five places left. Namjoon still didn't leave the highway and drove further south. Four. They changed to a highway heading south-east. Three.

At two pm Namjoon asked Jimin to switch places with him, he would navigate him but concentrate on the pull of his Blessing more. They passed little villages and further away some bigger towns, then crossed a broad river. Two possible places left. Next to the road flat land turned into hills climbing higher and higher into the sky unless Jimin was driving them through green mountains and up and down like a rollercoaster.

Early afternoon and the mountains laid behind them, the ocean ahead. The water stretched endlessly to the horizon like a blanket of liquid metal, grey and rough, smudgy. The closer they got to the coast, the more restless grew Taehyung. And as they came to a halt at a tiny stony shore, the brunet had gnawed off his nails and his foot had gone numb from tapping it. An island was visible in the far distance as barely more than a ghost. However, they had a rather huge problem: nowhere was a boat to be seen.

After the long drive and with all the tension bottled up Jimin just snapped. "Really? No boat? We are at the sea, why is there no ing boat?!"

As always Namjoon was the calm one, looking to solve the issue. He hadn't to look far. Already four men were running towards them with guns in their hands. For they may or may not have ignored signs shouting 'Stay away' and 'entry forbidden' and maybe twenty metres to their left was a high fence cutting off the small shore that lead far into the water and behind it was an even higher wall looming with a single heavy gate in the middle. Were the men now came from. 

"Get outta there" one of them shouted upon arrival. Jimin rolled his eyes. Why did military guys always need to be noisy?

As they were out of the car, the men roughly patted up and down their bodies, searching for weapons and finding none.

The one who had been supervising the process snarled. "You are forbidden to come here. What do you think you are doing here? We can arrest you for this."

"Oh, but I indeed have permission to be here, Sir." Jimin smiled his angelic innocent smile as he said that. 

The man only squinted at him, utterly unimpressed. Jimin took that as cue to continue.

"You see, I got told by somebody called W that he will organize to have me allowed entry to the prison. My name is Park Jimin, Sir."

"Uhu, sure. And my name is Santa Claus. Why would you be allowed entry, midget?"

At that the author dropped his whole sweet behavior. "Call me this once more and it will have unpleasant consequences, Sir. I'm well aware you have to do your job and protect the hell over there", he pointed towards the far-off island, voice icy as the autumn breeze "but this still gives you no reason to talk to me like that! Now if you may lead me to the responsible person, I don't have all day and I'm sure W-sshi won't be pleased at all when I have to call him again because somebody is not doing their work right here. He would be very, very unhappy about that, just as I am now. According to §7 of national security law rank 3 when having received permission by a responsible person I am allowed to go in there and ask five questions. I hereby request to invoke my right of doing exactly that. My two friends here sadly aren't included in the permission so it would be nice of you to let them stay here for the time being. Now if you would be so kind." 

The man was outright glaring at him as he talked into his walkie-talkie, never letting Jimin out of sight. Two of the others just gaped at the blond while he stood his ground, unforgiving cold mask on. After a few minutes the device cracked and a confirming answer came out, the man grunting in response. He grabbed Jimin's wrist to pull him along but the author snatched his hand away.

"Don't touch me", he hissed.

The man scowled but backed away. All together they were lead to the wall, three men already coming their way to investigate the car. Namjoon and Taehyung were told to wait in a hut hidden in a cliff's cleft, four men staying with them and watching their every move. Jimin followed the grumpy man to the gate where an older man and a bulky woman joined them. His ID was controlled, his fingerprint taken and he even had to strip. But then he was through the control and in a room with thick walls, no windows, a two-way mirror and bright lamp. He wasn't allowed on the island but could make use of asking his five questions here. Oh, he certainly would.

Across from him on the table sat another man now, long face, black hair with silver streaks in it combed back neatly, hands folded, eyes patient, honest. Never had Jimin been more certain of facing a liar.

First they didn't speak. Only assessed each other. Jimin broke the silence first.

"Is Jeon Jungkook still alive?"

"Of course he is, young man" was the immediate reply, spoken in an affectionate tone. The author made sure to be subtle in using his Blessing. He'd been using it in controlled ammounts since entering the room, lowering the whole room's temperature so the bristle wouldn't be noticeable. The first answer at least was true. He made his next move.

"And are you aware he no longer is a Blessed as the rare event of him losing his Blessing and surviving the process has occured?"

The man's eyes widened in good-heartened concern. Jimin wanted to snort. "No, we aren't I'm affraid. Our experts didn't find this being a case, they confirmed his Blessing. There must be a misunderstanding, young man. He without a doubt is a Blessed."

The author studied him for a long time.

"Liar", he whispered.

"I'm not-"

"Yes, you are. You know perfectly well he is an Average now. So question number three: why are you still keeping him here a prisoner when it is a prison for Blessed, and for Blessed only who pose a major threat to publicity? You have no right to keep him here." Jimin was very proud he didn't lose it and yell at the man. Though staying calm was hard, so so hard. Lying piece of sh*t!

"Mister Park, you have no proof of what you just claimed to be true. You must have gotten this wrong. If I tell you he is a Blessed then he is a Blessed indeed. I shall not count your last question-"

"You are wrong in that point though, mister..." The man didn't provide the information of his name. Seemed he was well aware of the power of knowing one's name. Bastard. "Mister. You are wrong in assuming I have no proof. I so happen to have the copy of a full valid hospital report confirming the loss of his Blessing and the healing process after the loss."

Jimin slapped a thick bundle of papers on the desk that he'd had in an envelope all the time. "Also here I have the report of two witnesses except from me", he added two sheets to the pile he'd hastily written last night together with Taehyung and Seokjin. "And here a confirmation declaration of a leading doctor at the responsible Department of Blessed's state recording."

He shoved the pile across the table and right under the nose of the other. "And maybe I should add that you can't ever lie to me without me noticing as I am a Veritas."

Silence fell. The man slowly went through the paper, a vein popping on the back of his hand.

When he had looked through everything he sighed, opening his mouth to say whatever, but Jimin cut him off.

"You didn't answer my question. Why is Jungkook still being kept here?"

He didn't receive an answer again. Leaning back, Jimin watched the man frying his brain for a legit answer that would be no lie. So the author went on.

"I assume you not answering instantly means you are aware of being at fault here. Next question: as it is against law to keep an Average in a Blessed-only prison according to §2 of national security law where it's said that Blessed and Averages have to be held in prisons destined for the respective kind and only the respective kind and you are currently keeping Jungkook in a prison not suited for him as he is now an Average which is an illegal act of you, when are you going to let him go?"

Suddenly the man looked a lot older, shoulders sagging down. "Just what do you want, Mister Park?"

"Isn't that pretty much obvious? I want you to set my friend free whom you are holding prisoner illegally. Which you may be doing with countless other prisoners here too by the way."

"You know it's not that easy. It doesn't work like that. You can't just come here and ask us to discharge a prisoner."

"Oh I think I very can! I have the knowledge and the paperwork to do so. And I have the law behind me, namely some guy called W with whom I'm working together for many years already. I don't see what's the problem here." His voice was getting shrill at the end and in all honesty Jimin wanted to hide under a rock. His high voice could be so embarassing!

The man sighed for the nth time. "Mister Park, I just want to do my job and see my family again soon. Why do you have to make it so difficult for me right now?"

"Excuse me?! You want to tell me you wouldn't try to save your friends?"

"...That was question number five."

"You don't say", Jimin dead-panned. "You didn't answer question number three and four tho."

And then he took out the last sheet of his envelope and handed it over.

The man blanched. Said nothing. Gulped. Then got up with heavy movements.

"I will see what I can do, Mister Park." And with that he left Jimin alone in the very uncomfortable room.

 


On wobbly legs Jungkook followed the stranger through countless corridors with many doors - like the door to the room where he'd just been. He didn't know what was going on. Only that something had occured, something unexpected.

Somebody had barged into the room and hurriedly whispered something to one of those doctors. Then they had ripped off the leeches of his every body parts - especially painful being the ones in his ears, arm pits and on (who even did this?!) - and thrown some wide clothes on him. He clung to the scratchy fabric covering all those ugly spots on his skin. It was still so so cold. And then he was stumbling through corridoors and around corners, up and down, passing cells filled with screams of agony. And he still had no clue what was going on. 

But then he was out, breathing fresh air! It was the most wonderful gift. Greedily he filled his lungs with the feeling of freedom, of vastness, salt and blood on his tongue. His throat was burning with every single breath he took. The thing around his neck tingled. He didn't care.

The stranger pulled him down the slippery steps and pushed him in a little boat waiting already. With eyes as wide as he could manage Jungkook watched the shadow of horror island grewing more distant with every minute as they set off to the shore. His weakened body was rocking back and forth as the boat jumped over waves, Jungkook holding on the railing for dear life and dreading what was about to come. Nobody had spoken a word to him yet. They could as well go to kill him.

The boat scraped across stones and pebbles and Jungkook lost balance, falling face-first into the boat. His wrists ached as he instinctively tried to catch himself with his hands, only to fail as they were still chackled on his back. He groaned. Rough wet plastic of the hull rubbed against his cheek. The stranger pulled him up, a young man completely hidden behind a face mask and long purple bangs, and lead him to the military base or whatever it was.

Another couple of corridors, all of them somehow the same, then he was pushed into a room. Again he fell down.

There was some rustle and stumbling, a voice that sounded familiar but it couldn't possibly be-

"Oh my gosh Jungkook, you are okay, you are safe now, it's okay, you are alive, it's over...", Jimin rambled as he helped him up and then squeezed him tightly.

Jungkook took a sharp breath.

Immediately Jimin pulled away, apologizing. Jungkook still didn't understand.

"Jimin, what- did they arrest you too?!"

He couldn't see well, only hear the laughter and feel the pain of the author's small pudgy hand hitting his arm. He winced.

"No, ! We are here to rescue you, obviously. You are a free man now~"

Jungkook blinked his lesser swollen eye. "I'm hallucinating. Why am I hallucinating this time? And why you? Can't I have a hallucination of Tae instead? Okay that's it, abort, talking about freedom is mean. I'd rather be awake now, no thank you."

Jimin hit him again.

"Ouch, what the ?! You are not real, why are you hitting me?!"

Too much talking. He doubled over, coughing his lungs out. Jimin somewhere shouted for help and water. Black dots danced in his poor vision as he calmed down. The blond shoved a glass of water in his hand but he didn't gripp it properly. It fell down bursting into maybe thousand pieces. He coughed some more. Everything was hot and cold.

"Jungkook, you are glowing! We need to get you out of here."

He had the distant feeling of a hand on his forehead. Glowing? He didn't understand, it was ice age cold in here. "Yeah sure whatever", he mumbled. "Just, do you have a jacket or something?"

There was some more fussing around him then Jimin grabbed his hand and they walked somewhere. He tripped over something, what, he didn't know or care. More hands on him. In a far corner of his mind he registered his chackles and the choker-thing being taken off. Then it was even colder again, they were outside. And just as Jungkook thought he must've be freezing to death he heard the most beautiful sound in the world.

"Kookie!"

Taehyung was on him in an instant, hugging him and crying. Jungkook buried his nose in the brown hair, taking deep whiffs of his favorite smell in the whole world. Even better than fresh air. He lifted his hand and caressed the brunet's face, cracking a smile. "Now that's a good hallucination."

"I- what?"

He didn't explain. Why did he always have to explain? This wasn't real anyways. So he just held his boyfriend and traced that beautiful neck with his nose. Placing tender kisses on Tae's shoulder. "I love you, hyung. I'm sorry I didn't say it more often. I love you. I love you, I love you, I lov-ve you. I l-llll-l-lo-" His teeth were clacking to much to say it more often.

"Aish Kookie, let's get you in the car first, okay? Come with me." Taehyung ruffled his hair playfully.

There was a third person; Jungkook didn't care about that either. Like a good puppy he followed the singer to a car and got inside where he got wrapped up in blankets like a huge burrito. Content, he nuzzled against Taehyung. "I love you, hyung."

"Shhh, it's okay. We are going to take care of you. Rest a bit, Kookie."

Jungkook obligued, lulled in by the soothing deep warm voice of Kim Taehyung. His.

...

"I love you too, pabo."

 


They went to a fancy villa at the coast where a long woman - yes, tall wasn't fitting, she just was long, everything was long on her - greeted them, hugging Jimin and thanking him countless times before beckoning all of them inside the spacious house. Jungkook was being lead to what might've been the fluffiest bed on earth to lay down, the cushions smothering him. The woman who introduced herself as Jia ushered the others out before she undressed Jungkook to examine his wounds. He was very grateful for that as the least thing he wanted was the others to see.

By now he'd accepted the fact it was real, it was not an illusion. Which didn't make things easier.

Jia was a practical woman even though one wouldn't think that upon seing the white house with pillars, huge windows and stucco everywhere. Yet she didn't make a wasted move. Everything she did was efficient, nothing unnecessary. Or maybe she was just so used to undressing and patching up bodies that she did it mechanically.

Whatever was the truth it made Jungkook feel less embarassed as he laid in the fluffy cloud, bare of anything. Jia didn't comment his state. With light and steady hands she touched every single wound, wind seeping out of her in waves. As Jungkook needed to turn around he was already feeling like a human being again. Several light touches later she laid her hands flat on his face, wind intensifying. And then the cold was gone, together with his swollen eyes, raw throat and everything else. In wonder Jungkook raised one chackleless hand, fingers wiggling. He could see every detail.

Hastily getting up he scurried to his clothes and put them back on. As he turned around to Jia, he bowed a perfect ninety degrees. She waved it off smiling and stalked away. It was on Jungkook to find his friends.

He discovered them lounging in a spacious living room with a chimney, a lively fire crackling there and turning the room unbearably hot. Jimin and Namjoon had shed their coats and scarfs long ago, only Taehyung refused to follow suit. For stylistic purposes, Jungkook assumed. The moment they noticed him they were on their feet, the youngers engulfing him in a bone-crushing hug while the eldest kept a respective distance. And then Taehyung shoved his friend away and just kissed Jungkook.

Stunned, it took the maknae a moment to react but then he kissed back the singer with equal passion and longing. He put a hand on the back of Taehyung's neck, fingers playing with the hair at his nape and pried his mouth open with his tongue. In the background Jimin was wolf-whistling and Namjoon complaining he didn't sign up for a show, also 'we are at someone's house, could you please stop this'. None of the two of them gave a , not as they melted against and into each other and everything felt so right.

As they detached from each other, breathing heavily, Jia politely bid them farewell, her smile tight. Jungkook again bowed deeply but this time holding Taehyung's hand. He would never let go of him from now on.

Outside it was dark and freezing, not even the moon to be seen. Taehyung swung their joined hands between them and giggled. The sound manifested as a white cloud right infront of his face. And Jungkook stared.

"Do that again", he breathed.

The brunet cocked his head. "Huh? Do what?"

Jungkook poked him in the sides and Taehyung squirmed, giggling, almost laughing. More white puffs hanging in the air between them.

"What's with you", the brunet asked, still giggling.

The younger shrugged. "Nothing." He rubbed his thumb on Taehyung's knuckles and pulled him closer until the tips of their noses were touching. "Just... you."

Satisfied with the answer Taehyung gave him a sweet peck on the lips then pulled him to the car's backseats.

The whole ride to a near hotel ('I love you guys but I need a break and you, Jimin, need to invite me more often') the two lovebirds kept exchanging pecks and whispering promises to each other. And as they went to their rooms - obviously a two-two arrangement - Jungkook was not affraid of sleeping, of the looming nightmares. Not as long as he could hold Taehyung in his arms all night, his fingers combing the soft brown hair while the brunet's hand lazily traveled up and down his arm. Not as long as it felt like they would stay like this for eternity. Together.

 

 


This is kinda the end but not really, the final chapter will be an epilogue playing a year or so later. Loose threads will be knotted and there is going to be (god help me). It might be out only next weekend or even later tho as I'll be busy working on my Jimin bday fanart, sorry but this has priority for me I hope you understand ^^;

From the lack of response I take that you'd rather have me write a new story once this one is finished instead of doing some illustrations which is totally fine by me too ^^