chapter 23

Wanna kiss you, don't wanna kiss you

Jungkook´s face lit up as he saw Tae approaching. It was finally friday, the last day of the workshop and Jungkook had texted the singer to meet before the lesson starts.

It was beautiful weather, orange sunrays slowly climbing higher, painting the sky in soft pastels. And Jungkook and Tae together beneath the wide sky, holding their cameras in their hands and discussing where to go. Only after doing their unique handhake of course. Why they were up this early already?  Because apparently, Jungkook had discovered how fun photography can be.

Not that I will ever become a real photographer but... this is pretty cool.

They decided to go to a place where one can see the city skyline first. As the colors in the sky began to fade, they ran. And made it just on time to catch the impressive silhouette of skyscrapers infront of the blending pastels. Next they made photos from each other, laying on the ground, leaning against a tree. The soft morning light was an incredible light effect so they played around with the faint, long shades to their heart´s content.

As they were done shooting themselves, they sneaked in a ruin closeby and took close-ups... from shattered windows, sprung tiles, plants growing out of a wall, footsteps in the thick dust, spiderwebs  glistening with dew. Everything had a dream-like atmosphere in the early morning hours. Surreal and much less creepy than it would be at night.

Then they went to a small church and waited inside until the sun had risen high enough to light the painted glass windows. It was a mesmerizing sight how the windows lit up in brilliant blue, yellow, red and green, throwing colorful shades to the tiles. Enhanced by the spectacle, Jungkook took some pictures and then leaned back, just watching and enjoying the moment.

Sometimes it´s the small things... He smiled.

Tae stayed silent for a while, then he said with serious yet warm voice: "You have a wonderful smile, Kookie."

Surprised, Jungkook turned around. They locked eyes. Another big hole popped up.

For the whole way back to the workshop Jungkook didn´t know what to say.

 


"...and that´s it. I hope you learned a lot during the last five days and I could help you understanding the art of photography better. I wish all of you good luck and a calm hand. Thank you" the old man closed their workshop.

There was some applause, then the high-fiving, fist-bumping and lively chatter began.

Jungkook turned to Tae but the brunet was busy fumbling with a big round box. After some moments of struggle, he got up the lid and handed the now open box to Jungkook. Revealing... a huge, yellow cheesecake! Jungkook´s jaw dropped past the floor.

"I, uh, I thought as thank-you for letting me participate in the workshop. You said you like cheesecake, so I figured..." The brunet smiled sheepishly and scratched his head.

Jungkook placed the cake carefully on the table, as if it was the most delicate gem. Well, for him it was. Then he flung himself at Tae and squeezed him tightly. It might´ve been the first time he was the one hugging someone.

"Thank you, hyung", he rasped. "Thank you so ing much! I would´ve never thought you´d do such a sweet thing for me, let alone remembering what I said about my favorite dishes. Thank you so, so, so, so, so much~"

He loosened his grip but didn´t let go. Locking eyes with the blushing singer, he repeated it again in all seriousness. "Thank you."

Because he didn´t take this lightly. No, not at all.

At his continued intense gaze Tae got all shy, hiding his face behind his large hands. In Jungkook´s opinion, it was the most adorable sight to ever witness. The younger tucked at his hands to reveal the brunet´s flushed face and cupped it in his own hands, a wave of endearment crashing him. His knees buckled.

"I just--- I just was kind of a little tinsy-tiny bit jealous of Jiminie-pabo getting all your attention so... so I wanted to make something special... I guess", Tae slowly admitted while nuzzling into Jungkook´s hands, insecurity, helplessness and hope shining in his eyes.

And that was it. The final drop. With a force he had never felt before, Jungkook´s Blessing slammed at its containment, crushing the leaking bowl into pieces of nothing. It was like a dam breaking loose. The strange power raged through him, consuming him from inside-out, swallowing him, burning him, freezing him, eating him alive, tearing him apart. Every cell in his body turned against him. The burning ice rushed through his veins, pulverizing every wall he´d ever built.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Screaming in agony, Jungkook pulled at his hair, ripping out handfulls of black strands. He could barely make out Tae hovering above him, frozen in shock. As if singing in victory, his Blessing trashed through him once more. He felt hot blood running out of his nose.

The world was spinning, howling in laughter. Skeleton fingers were pointing at him. He was drowning in a sea of black oil, the oil filling his lungs and turning into fire, ice and wind. With a sickening sound, his knees hit the floor. The world wasn´t spinning anymore but had disappeared. He scrambled for hold on something, anything.

But there was nothing. Only burning ice.

Then a big, heavy cloth sank down on him and everything went black.

 


Taehyung was pacing up and down the sterile white hallways of the hospital.

How long does that take?!

He glanced through the door window. Everything was stained red. He pressed a hand against his mouth and ran to the next bathroom, loudly vomiting in the sink.

Internal bleeding, they said. Immediate emergency operation, they said. The doctors have shut themselves with Kookie in that room since hours, cutting, sewing and doing stuff at him. But why does it look worse every time I check on it? What if--- what if--- no, don´t you dare thinking about it.

With heavy steps and even more heavy heart, the singer shuffled back to the waiting area. How did all of this happen anyway? 

A nurse came out of the OP room. At Taehyung´s asking look, she just shook her head. The brunet plummeted on the chair, head in his hands, eyes squeezed shut. Cold sweat breaking out.

"No", he whispered in horror. "Please..."

"We are almost done", the exhausted nurse finally spoke. "But there had been heavy damage done to all of his inner organs. We can´t tell for sure if he´ll make it. It´s not very likely."

Taehyung whimpered.

The nurse gave him a sympathetic look before she continued with softer voice. "If he wakes up within the next three days, he´ll do it. If not... well, then he´ll most likely never wake up again. I´m sorry."

And she went back inside, leaving a numbed Taehyung behind.

 


Taehyung was frozen in shock. He didn´t want to admit the possibility of Jungkook´s death. No way!

Too caught up in his fear, he didn´t notice Hoseok and Yoongi taking seats next to him, clutching each other´s hands. While Tae was blankly staring at the ground, the forger was silently crying and Jungkook´s second had a constant frown on his face, eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"It can´t continue like that with him", Hoseok hiccuped.

...

"No", Yoongi aggreed. 

Taehyung remained silent. He didn´t hear a single word.

What if he won´t make it?

What if he... What if... ?