CHAPTER ELEVEN / You Make Me Want to Live

For your eyes only (I show you my heart)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Five year old Seungwan was with her beloved mother, lying in the fresh-cut spring grass in their garden, the dazzling sun pouring down on their faces, and the gentle breeze brushing their hair.

The child was resting atop her mother, her small head nestled on the crook of the woman’s neck. 

“Mama…”

“Yes, honey?”

“What’s the meaning of your name?” Little Seungwan asked curiously, her breath tingling her mother’s skin, but it didn’t bother the latter. 

“Hana means flower, and as for Yuki—my surname it means snow. When combined, it’s Snow Flower.” The Japanese woman replied. 

“That’s beautiful.” Seungwan smiled, bright eyes forming into perfect crescent moons. “Grandpa once told me that you were supposed to name me Sakura, is that true?”

“That’s true, honey.” said Yuki Hana. “I’ve always been crazy about Cherry Blossoms, and in floral language, Sakura means ‘Beauty Of The Heart’.”

“Then why didn’t you name me that, mama?” 

“Well, I had a nice Korean friend in highschool named Seungwan. She was very kind, and she was the happy pill of our class.”

“You named me after her?” The child asked gleefully.

“Yes, my sweet baby. And Seungwan means ‘Bearer Of Happiness’.” Hana sat up, placing her daughter properly on her lap.

“I love my name.” Seungwan squealed. “You know what, mama? Since you didn’t get the chance to name me Sakura, I will name my daughter that when I get married someday.” 

The Japanese woman laughed softly. “Sounds funny hearing that from a five year old girl, but it would be nice.”

Seungwan giggled. “My other daughter will be named Tsubaki. I saw it in a magazine, and it means ‘Care and Perfect Love’.”

“You have a great taste.” Her mother flashed her a big smile. “Let’s hope I’ll be able to meet my grandchildren.”

“You will, mama.”


Big tears trickled down Seungwan’s pale cheeks as she hugged a picture frame of her deceased mother close to her chest. It was a portrait of the woman when she was a teenager, and it never left Seungwan’s night-stand ever since she was a child. 

Despite losing her eyesight, her mother was the only one whom she could remember clearly when she closes her eyes. 

Seungwan still remembers her mother’s dark brown hair which tumbles in waves down to her waist. 

She still remembers her beautiful blue eyes which she inherited from Seungwan’s American grandmother. 

She still remembers her soft smile that never seemed to leave her lips even in bad days. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter