Map - 39

1 Map, 2 Passports, and 30 Days of Risk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: HEY CHINGUS! Here is our update for tonight, I hope you all love it. 

Thank you to all the subscribers and upvoters of the story. 

Love you guys! 

Peace Yow!

-----------

 

AMBER’S POV

 

Day 34

6:50 PM

Amber’s Apartment

Gangnam-gu, Seoul

 

 

After the Press Conference this morning, we went straight to Korea Development Bank as planned together with Vic. We told her Mom gave us a key to one of the safety deposit box there telling us to open it because there’s a gift waiting for me.

 

My heart was beating wildly the moment we entered the bank, it was Vic who spoke to the Bank Manager because I was really nervous. I don’t know why but my hands were trembling with the thought of seeing what is inside that box. I was suppose to feel excited and happy, but to feel this way of strange. Super strange.

 

Krystal and I were guided by the Manager to the door where the safety deposit boxes are located. It was a heavily guarded heavy metal door the typical you will see in the movies when there is a bank heist and the robbers blows it up. Yeah, like that.

 

I was holding the key tightly inside my pocket, rubbing the engraving it has. The box number 18 was pointed at us then he bowed to leave and give us space. There was this voice inside my head telling me to open it immediately, open it so I will finally know what is inside. Mom was being vague about it while Dad just smiled patting my head when I asked him what is inside.

 

When I opened the box, there was a purple velvet pouch resting in there and a sealed letter envelop. Krys and I shared a look wondering what was inside, she took out the velvet pouch while I took the envelop and turn it around just to see my whole name written on it in a very neat hand writing.

 

It was dated September 18, the year of my birth. The style of the envelop and color confirms that it was written around that time. There was this nagging voice inside my head telling me to open it there but I didn’t. I want to collect myself first before reading it because the bank is not the best place to break down.

 

The velvet pouch contains a necklace with a round Amber gemstone locker pendant. It looks vintage and fascinating, especially the little insect inside the gem. Krystal was so fascinated with it chattering about the beautiful pendant telling me the little insect probably was trapped thousands of years ago back in the time of the Dinosaurs. Cute.

 

She asked me about the letter and I told her I will just open it once we arrive home. From the bank we went straight to my office surprising all of them, my staffs and Brian who was in the middle of a game presentation when Krystal and I sneaked inside the dark Board room telling his secretary to be quiet and sat at the back while one of my game developers presents his new game. They only noticed our presence when I spoke at the back telling him it was a good game and its approved, all of them were startled especially Brian who spilled hot coffee on his pants. When the lights were turn On, they saw me and Krystal grinning at them while I sat there cross legged like a true Boss. Its good to be back hehehe…

 

All of them were so happy and hooting, bowing when they saw Krystal beside me. Of course they know who she is, my Game Developers and part timers are all young adults some are still studying and they have access to Social Media. They were complaining about Brian feeding them Pizza for the past 31 days since I took my vacation hahaha!!! Jae said the first 3 days was fine but when it became everyday they can’t take it anymore. Poor guys hahaha!!

 

I introduced Krystal to Brian my bestfriend and I think it went well. Brian was nudging me with a silly smile on his face giving me a thumbs up while pointing his nose to Krystal who that time was busy talking to my young female staffs gushing at her. Brian even whispered to me that we hire Krystal in our company because he found out about her professional profile telling me that the company needs someone like her, I told him I’ll ask her first and think about it. She still has a lot of things to accomplish first like recuperating after her surgery.

 

We said our goodbyes and I told them I will be back to work in 2 weeks with a promise that I will treat them all to a nice meal in a Barbecue house but for the mean time they will have to bear first with Brian’s Pizza hehehe… all of them whined with Brian smacking Jae’s head with a folder. But the real deal is, Krystal already called a nearby Chicken house to deliver boxes of Fried Chicken for all of them that will be delivered after we left.  

 

“Hey Earthling, what’s with that face?” she called me when she entered our room. I was sitting on the bed with the envelop neatly lying in front of me, still contemplating if I should open it. She sat beside me and took the envelop staring at it then took my hands and placed it there.

 

“Open it now Earthling, we don’t wanna wait for another 26 years for you to finally decide and open it. I have a feeling it came from someone who loves you… so much.” I stared at the letter and sighed. The feeling of nervousness still running inside my chest, nervousness cause by thinking it was my biological Father who left it.

 

I called Mom earlier and asked her about it. She said it was my Father who wrote the letter, she doesn’t the contents because she didn’t open it. My Father showed it to her before telling her he will only give the letter to me when I grow up… which he missed because he died before even seeing me grow up to be someone he can be proud of.

 

“Mom said this is from my Father…”

 

“Then the more you have to open it. If Mom stored it there and waited for a long time just to give it to you then it is something special like the necklace with it.” she gave me a side hug pulling me closer to her and planting a kiss on my head. “Open it and let’s read what it says… at least in this part I will come to meet my Father in-law through his writing.”

 

“Won’t you want to meet him in his spirit form?” I snickered at her jokingly.

 

“Ask that to your self, the girl who’s afraid of ghosts…” hahaha… I take it back. XD

 

With trembling hands I teared the side of the envelop and took the paper inside unfolding it carefully. It was a letter, dated on the date of my birth together with a Polaroid photo of him and me who obviously is newly borned based on my yawning face.

 

“You’re so cute~~ awww…. little baby Earthling~~~… and your Father is good looking too. You got your handsomeness from him…” so this is my Father… I don’t really remember his face, he does have some photos that Mom showed me before when I was still young but I stopped looking at it when I was growing up, then Dad came to our life. He became the Father figure that I need and became someone I consider as my parent.

 

My wife gave me a kiss on my cheek, nudging me with her nose “Come on Earthling, read it loud for me to hear.”

 

I straightened the paper noticing a couple of smudges on it. Ink smudges? He used Fountain pen but I think the ink dries quickly. Water? Is it raining when he wrote this? I asked myself while tracing the smudges with my finger. He has good handwriting…

 

“Both of you has good handwriting Earthling, although yours sometimes looks like a Doctor’s scribbles.” she traced the smudges too and looked at me smiling “Tears.”

 

Tears?

 

“He probably teared up when writing this letter for you… tears of joy from a Father who just saw his first born.” she smiled at me my back “Read it now Amber… I’m just here if you want me to wipe your snot.”

 

“Gross.”

 

“Said by the person who absentmindedly ate a booger…”

 

“Because you told me it was Chocolates…”

 

“It is Chocolates… its not my fault your booger fell on it when I gave it to you.” she snorted controlling her laugh. Really gross.

 

“But you didn’t tell me about it!”

 

“I told you about it!~”

 

“When I already swallowed it!”

 

“Hehehe… at least I told you.”

 

I shook my head earning soft laughter from her that also made me smile. Seeing her laughing like this makes me feel lightness in my heart, her beautiful teeth showing while she laughs.

 

Focusing again on the letter, I started to read it in a clear loud voice enough for her to hear.

 

 

1992 September 18

 

To my dearest Yiyun,

 

You might be wondering why Dad gave you this weird letter after your wedding. Hahaha! I am writing this letter now for the adult Yiyun who probably just married the love of her life whatever date it is in the future. Just want to let you know how proud I am imagining you walk down the aisle with a beautiful smile on your face because you finally found the person who will take care of you and love you for the rest of your lives. I know, Dad is weird for imagining things like that.

I am writing this now while watching over your Mom sleeping in her hospital bed. She was really exhausted giving birth to you but its all worth it because you are healthy and a God’s gift to us. I can’t wait to the mornings we will spend together while I feed you with milk, change your diapers, and rock you to sleep. And when you grow up, we will spend more time together playing and running around. We will eat a lot of Ice Cream together without telling Mom, I can’t wait to teach you how to ride a bike. To play the Piano and the Guitar because Dad wants you to be musically inclined like him. I can’t wait to see you grow up and be the person you want to be, be the person I can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter