Chapter 6: No Such Thing as Predictable

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yiseul was never one of those people that had their eyes glued to their phone screens. She didn’t care for wifi as usually, she would be doing something else that required more of her attention. 

So, now that she was looking at her phone first thing in the morning, it was a strange sight. Even for her. 

Checking her messages, she finds a text from Hanbin. 

Again.

Ever since obtaining her number, he has been sending her texts every morning following that day – texts that reminded her to take careful and detailed notes for the class he deems as boring. 

But, today seems to be different. 

All it says is that an image was sent. Opening it, a gasp leaves her lips as her heart thumps painfully against her chest when she is greeted by the frightening face of the character from the Grudge. Instinctively, she closes the text and drops the phone beside her on the bed. 

It appears as though this is just another platform he is using to his advantage. 

Her hand runs over her face and she pushes herself up and out of bed. 

The morning gift definitely woke her up. 

***

“What time did she leave?”

“I got up at noon and she was already gone,” Junhoe responds. 

Bobby and Hanbin shoot him a look. That was not particularly helpful. The three turn their heads back to face the room’s door. 

“There’s no way it would be unlocked,” Bobby comments while staring at the doorknob. 

“I don’t know, she does seem pretty absentminded,” Junhoe counters. They would sometimes come across each other in certain buildings but the dorm head would just pass him without a second glance – 

Wait a minute. Was she…was she ignoring him?

“I can’t believe she’s the one you trusted to get notes from.” Bobby nudges Hanbin with a chuckle. 

Hanbin sighs. Did he make a regretful decision? Blinking back from his thoughts, he reaches out and turns the doorknob and lo and behold – 

“Well, I’ll be damned.”

The door creaks open and the neat room welcomes the three with beaming smiles upon their lips. 

“Let’s get started before she comes back.”

***

Like the days before, Yiseul would return to the dorm with her phone filled with notifications that she didn’t know what to do with. Sure, she’ll read through them but her mind continues to draw up a blank when it comes to making connections. 

“Hey, Yiseul.”

She comes to an abrupt stop on the snowy pathway, not realizing someone was in front of her. “…Hi, Joohyuk.” She looks up at him from behind her scarf, trying to decipher that look on his face.

“You’re still here?”

“Huh?”

“It’s been a week.”

Yiseul was at a loss. “The school semester hasn’t ended…I suppose I should still be here.”

He chuckles, realizing the confusion but decides not to address it. “So, how has it been at the wing?”

“It’s new.”

“How about the residents?”

“Hyper.” 

Her previous dorm floor would be considered abnormally calm in comparison. At the same time, she didn’t mingle with the others as much. She did used to share a few words but as the semester dragged on, interactions grew less and less. She figured they were just giving her space since she wasn’t much of a talker. 

Joohyuk nods with the same smile on his face. “Well, we separate here.” 

The two offer a wave as farewell before splitting up. Yiseul takes the elevator and arrives on her floor. Looking up, she finds curious faces staring out into the hall from their dorm rooms. Looking to see what was drawing such curious reactions, Yiseul’s eyes land on the woman dressed in a suit, standing in front of her own dorm room and with a cellphone in her hands. 

Approaching, she greets the stranger, “hello.”

The older woman looks away from her phone and a smile graces her lips. “How are you, Yiseul?”

The Dean? “You came all the way here?”

“It’s hard contacting you,” she says though there isn’t any annoyance to her tone.

“I’m sorry to have missed it.” Her phone has been packed with other notifications that she must have overlooked it. 

“Do you have time to speak now?”

“Yes, of course. Let me just…,” Yiseul tries to use her key on her dorm’s lock but she overlooks the first red flag. 

The door isn’t tightly shut.

Did she forget to lock it this morning? Turning the doorknob, she doesn’t need to wonder any further. 

Because, oh – yes, she did. 

Opening the door just wide enough, her movements still. 

She didn’t exactly know what she was looking at but due to the shininess and reflectiveness of the surfaces of her bedroom, she immediately shuts her door.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter