Chapter 31: Nighttime Brings Along Company

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yiseul watches everyone with a bated breath.

This morning, she finds most of her residents in the common area setting up shop. 

Apparently, they wanted to all open their exam scores together. When Yiseul commented that it’s really no one else’s business, they disagreed and said, it’s more fun this way. It’s like they knew it would be a disaster.

Obviously, it was Junhoe’s idea. 

It was also a bad idea but, he wasn’t in the mood for listening. 

“I passed!” Jennie is the first to say before releasing a sigh of relief. 

“Me too,” Jisoo adds. 

Hayi silently closes her laptop after checking her own grades. The look of content on her face is enough to reveal her scores. 

“Well, it could have been worse,” Seunghoon says.

“My stars told me as such,” Jinwoo joins in. 

Looking in Donghyuk’s direction with a teasing smile, Seunghoon asks, “Donghyuk, did you pass with flying colors?”

The boy looks up. “I did pass but, what colors?”

Bobby leans over towards Junhoe. “How did you do?”

“Terrible,” Junhoe reveals but, merely leans back into his chair. He was too calm about it and the others noticed.

“How are you so chill about this?” Jennie asks. 

Junhoe shrugs. “Life isn’t all about grades.”

Yiseul decides to speak up. “Junhoe, ‘terrible’ doesn’t mean you failed, right?”

“No. I passed by five points in all subjects.”

Everyone in the common area sighs. They had expected worse from him. But, Yiseul had faith. Smiling, she says, “You’ve worked hard, Junhoe.”

“Why are you so happy, dorm head?” he questions. “Did you already check your grades?”

“I have.”

“So?” Seunghoon tries to draw out more information from her. Everyone also leans forward in expectation.

“I did wonderful.”

Her honesty somehow brings smiles to their faces. Jennie lets out a sigh. “Then, it looks like everyone passed this time.”

***

“Dorm head!”

A shriek Yiseul didn’t know how to describe yet, causes enough urgency, brings her snapping her head towards her door. She gets up from her desk rather fast to enter the hallway and before she could ask where it had come from, Seunghoon jumps out– face filled with fear and a shaking finger still pointing inside his dorm room.

“Seunghoon–,”

“Just kill it! That disgusting thing came out of nowhere–,” 

Yiseul peeks inside and her eyes zoom in to find a spider near the shut window.

“Why are there bugs in the middle of winter– please just kill it,” he begs with eyes shut tight.

Yiseul steps inside, grabs a piece of paper from one of the desks, and reaches for the bug.

“Did you get it? Did you get it?” Seunghoon asks in a panic that has yet to subside.

“I got it,” Yiseul answers.

He opens his eyes and watches her comes towards him with the same piece of paper she used to scoop up the intruder. Immediately shuffling aside, he watches her go towards the kitchen. “Where are you going?”

“To the window.”

“Why the window?”

“I’m going to let it out.”

“No! Kill it! What if it comes back?” He ends up following her while still minding a distance. "And, brings along friends?"

Not changing her mind, Yiseul manages to get the window open and shakes the paper outside. “I don’t like killing them,” she merely answers.

“It’ll probably die out in the cold anyway,” Jinwoo says as he walks past. 

Seunghoon whips around and watches his roommate return to their room nonchalantly while he nearly died. “And, where were you?”

“Bathroom.”

“Of course, when I needed you the most.”

“What was one bug going to do?” Jinwoo asks.

“Do you remember the summer of ’17?”

At the reminder, Jinwoo looks back to meet his eyes. 

Seunghoon knows that he remembers. “Do you want a repeat of that?”

***

“Hey, Jinhwan!”

Who it is that called out to him was no mystery. So, he didn’t know why he stopped and waited when he already knew. Turning around, he finds her rushing towards him through the snow. A familiar sight by now. 

“What is it now?”

“Can we walk back together?”

“Why?”

“I don’t like walking alone at this time,” she answers once she cat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter