Chapter 47: An Unpleasant Reminder

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With her first break starting, Yiseul decides to carry out the thing that came to her mind last night before falling asleep in bed. 

Standing outside a classroom, Yiseul watches for the time and with the click of the door, she finds students filing out at the end of lecture. Her eyes scan the bodies before the familiar back of someone spurs her to walk forward. 

“Hey, Jinhwan.”

He turns slightly to look over his shoulder. “What’s wrong with your hair?”

She fails to answer right away as she finds his greeting unexpected. “It’s shorter.”

“Yeah, I see that. Why?”

“It just happened to turn out like this,” she responds before getting to the point. “Can I ask you for a favor?”

He immediately sighs and resumes his walking. Yiseul naturally follows along, matching his pace. 

“I think you’ve heard about Chanwoo wanting to join a gang,” she explains. 

“I didn’t know that,” he finally answers. “It has nothing to do with me. So, why are you telling me?”

“Well, gangs seem to be…,” 

“What? Like my specialty?” he retorts. 

“I didn’t say that,” she answers. “He’s not going to listen to me. But, coming from someone who is more… knowledgeable about the subject would work better.”

“Just let him learn his lesson.”

Jinhwan’s pushback was obvious, but his words just then bring another idea to her mind. Yiseul comes to an abrupt stop and she grabs onto his arm.

The action draws a snappy response from him. “What now?”

***

Yiseul has known to keep her interactions with Jinhwan short. He hardly liked the company and since she was bothering him with a request, she figured she’d give him the space to think about it. 

She was initially heading to lunch when she makes an unexpected detour thanks to Yunhyeong. He comes from behind, gently taking her by the hand to pull her along.

“Hey, Yunhyeong.”

“I hope you weren’t doing anything important,” he says. 

She shakes her head as they come to a stop. She thought to ask him what was going on, but once following his line of sight, she finds Bobby facing the wall beside his classroom. The view of Bobby facing the wall and leaning against it, is a bit concerning.

“I found him like that,” Yunhyeong reveals. “I thought to call you, but I ran into you first.”

She offers Yunhyeong a small smile and walks towards Bobby. Reaching out gently, she places a hand on his shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Startled, he straightens up. He reaches up to pull the collar of his white-button up from his neck, seemingly being suffocated by it. “Hey, dorm head.”

Silently, she reaches into her backpack for her unopened water bottle and offers it to him. 

Gratefully, he takes it and brings it up to his lips. 

“Are you presenting today?” she asks from the sight of his outfit. 

“Uh– yeah,” he answers after a mouthful. 

“You’ll be great and I know because you’ve done so before.”

He turns to look at her and thinks to answer, but can’t find his words. “This is uncool of me, isn’t it?” 

“We all have our own anxieties and worries. That doesn’t make you uncool.” 

Bobby takes a deep breath. “What if I really can’t finish the presentation?”

“You will and if you can’t, you tried.”

“Oh, thank God!”

The exclaim quickly steals both of their attention and they turn towards the voice. 

Suhyun is heading over to them with both hands up, covering her ears. Following close behind is Chanhyuk, who appears to not be discouraged by his sister’s action. Suhyun reaches Yiseul and hugs her arm closely. 

“I’m glad I’m running into you, please stop this maniac,” she begs. 

“Uh– dorm head, I’m gonna head inside first.” Bobby says before shuffling back inside the classroom. It appears the sibling’s appearance is enough to motivate Bobby to return. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter