Chapter 13: Some Things Don't Change

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Seungyoon!”

Yiseul’s eyes snap open as she is jolted awake. 

“Seungyoon! Turn it down!” 

After the voices of complaints come to a stop, she can finally hear whatever that is disturbing the rest of the floor. Getting up from her bed, she opens her door to make out the loud pop music coming from Seungyoon’s room.

“Dorm head–,” the shouting is abruptly cut off as soon as another dorm room opens up. “Please do something about it.” Suhyun begs as soon as her eyes land on Yiseul. 

Yiseul steps out into the hall and walks up to Seungyoon and Jinwoo’s room. Lifting her hand, she knocks but receives no answer. Thinking it couldn’t be heard over the loud music blasting on an early Saturday morning, Yiseul knocks harder. Standing there, she finally realizes that this isn’t going to work.  

Opening the door, she looks in carefully. “Seungyoon.”

No acknowledgement. No response. He’s staring at his computer screen with his back facing her. 

“Seungyoon,” she calls out louder. 

He doesn’t even turn around to look at her. She steps inside and walks up behind him. There’s no way he can continue ignoring her. 

“Seungyoon, you should turn that down.”

Not even a twitch. 

Reaching over his shoulder, she turns off the music video he’s watching. The silence brings him back and he spins around. With wide eyes, he stares up at her.

“I didn’t hear you come in,” he says. 

She figured as much. “You can listen to your music but it can’t be that loud.” 

“It wasn’t that loud.”

“You didn’t even hear me.”

“I usually don’t hear anyone when I’m focused on a task,” he reasons. 

“Where are your earphones?”

“Right here,” he says while reaching out for them. 

“Please use them but, mind the volume. Your eardrums will burst.”

***

“I have returned the favor.”

Two tickets are handed over to her. “Thanks–,”

“For you and your friend,” Hanbin suddenly adds but it’s obvious that he’s insinuating something. 

“I have one more thing to ask for.”

“We said one favor.” He proceeds to shake his head. “If I’m going to do this favor then you owe me.”

She sighs. Is it worth it? “My friend wants to meet Jaewon as well.”

“You can see him here.”

“I really meant it when I said friend.”

He stares at her. She keeps mentioning ‘friend’ when in fact, he has never seen her with any– oh wait. “That girl you were sitting with in the food court that day?” He hadn’t paid close attention as the quiz was the sole priority then. 

She nods.

“So, you do have a friend.”

“Yeah, one,” she responds though she shows no embarrassment. 

“How can you say that so confidently?”

“Well, it’s the truth.”

***

“Where are you going, Yiseul?” Jisoo casually asks as the two pass by one another in the hallway. 

“The basketball game.”

Jisoo hesitates on saying her next words, “I wouldn’t have pegged you as someone interested in that stuff.” Yiseul seemed far from the fans that show up to cheer at sport games. She’s too calm for that kind of activity. 

“You don’t like it?” Yiseul asks instead.

She shakes her head. “None of us actually go. Jaewon would be embarrassed if any of us showed up at any of his games anyways.”

“Why?”

A wry smile appears on her lips. “He likes to say he isn’t one of us.”

***

She isn’t one of them.

Jaewon isn’t one them.

What exactly are they then?

“I knew you could do it!” Mina squeals with excitement at the sight of the two tickets placed out in front of her. 

Yiseul tries to stand her ground with the crowd getting bigger and while the entrances have yet to be opened. Every few seconds, she had to stick her hand out to make sure some careless person wouldn’t knock Mina over. But, the act was more useful in her mind than in actual practice. One person alone couldn’t block a crowd of rowdy fans. 

“I can’t believe this,” Mina looks over with eyes filled with pure delight. “All I have been hearing from the people on the floor is that it is so hard to get these tickets but you always make it happen, Yiseul.” Mina looks away with a grin and back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter