Chapter 12: Signs and Signals

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I updated two days ago, so check the last chapter if you haven't already~

Yiseul has never had a problem waking up for her morning classes before but this morning has proven to be the hardest. For the first time since entering University, she pressed the snooze button. Twice. 

“Yiseul.”

A hand waves in front of her face, breaking her blank stare. Turning her head, she greets Mino, “Good morning.”

“Is there something interesting there?” he asks while nodding towards the cupboard she had been so focused on.  

“Not at all,” she quietly responds before passing him a granola bar. 

“No cereal?” he glances down at the on-the-go breakfast in his hand. 

Without a word, she taps at her watch to remind him that he shouldn’t be late. 

“I’m leaving for class in a bit,” he replies with a small smile of amusement. 

She leaves the kitchen first just as Jinhwan is walking down the hall. His bruises haven’t improved but they haven’t worsened either. “Good morning,” she greets him. He only shoots her a glance when he passes. Since he did acknowledge her this time, she decides to take it and run with it. “I’m glad to know that the scarf is being used well.” Her comment causes him to stagger in his steps just so subtly that if someone else wouldn’t have noticed if they weren’t paying attention. Still with his back to her, he continues on his way. 

Getting off of the elevator and arriving at the building’s entrance, Yiseul notices someone blocking the doors with his attention set outside. “Is there something wrong, Hanbin?” she asks while walking towards him.

“I’m trying to decide if I want to go to class or not.” The weather is really not the most motivating factor. Looking away, he places his focus on her. “Whoa, what’s up with you?” If he isn’t wrong in his observation, it seems she is starting down the same road her predecessors had also gone down.

That means, there is only one end… well, it isn’t like he expected differently. 

In Yiseul’s case, she didn’t know what he is referring to. “Nothing.”

He decides not to comment on it and instead clicks his tongue. “Remember to take good notes for me today,” he reminds her. 

She assumes he has made his decision with that statement. Placing her hand on the door, she proceeds to open it. For a moment, she also understood Hanbin when the brisk air met the warmth of her skin. 

“Hey,” Hanbin calls out and she stops. “Take it from someone who knows– you look like you’re on your way of catching what I got.”  

She’s tired but–, “I feel fine.”

“I don’t actually care. I was only saying.” She can take it or leave it. 

***

The thought of staying at the library tonight brought a yawn leaving her lips. 

Someone coming from the side clamps a hand over suddenly and she turns to see. Junhoe laughs upon seeing her reaction. 

“You should at least cover your mouth,” he says.

It’s embarrassing to admit but she was too tired to even do that. He merely smirks and walks off with his friends. As they are heading in the same direction anyways, she ends up following him into the food court. While deciding on what she wants to eat, she catches an interesting sight. 

Hayi struggling to get into her line of choice due to the crowds of people. 

Each passing second proves to only get worse. Yiseul shows up beside her. “Excuse me,” she calls out and the few people in front of them make way. She smiles down at the young girl. “It’s hard for people to pay attention in such an atmosphere,” she says. 

Again, she doesn’t hear Hayi’s response but the movement of her lips indicates a mention of gratitude. 

Yiseul was about to walk away when a thought stops her in her movements. “Would you like to have lunch together–,”

“Yiseul!”

She turns around to see Mina coming by to meet her. 

“I already found an empty table,” Mina says with a smile. 

Yiseul shoots a quick glance in Hayi’s direction to find her already turned away. Remembering her mom’s phone call and her text from last night, she answers, “Oh, okay.” 

Before completely walking away, she thought she heard Hayi saying something but with Mina urging her to quickly grab lunch before break ends, she didn’t have the mind to think about it. Taking their seats across from each other with their lunch in front of them, they both got started. 

“I really miss you, Yiseul,” Mina suddenly says.

She looks up and offers Mina attention. 

“The girls in the hall are no fun and they…,” Mina stops herself from continuing. 

Though she sensed uncertainty from Mina, she also knew she’ll learn of whatever Mina wanted to share soon enough. 

“Well,” she pauses once more as she doesn’t know if she should tell Yiseul or not, “they say awful things about you.”

Yiseul’s chewing gradually stops for a moment before res

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter