Chapter 48: Scared Straight

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Dorm head–,”

“Junhoe, I have to step out for a little bit,” Yiseul says. “But, when I come back, I’ll look for you right away.”

The expression on Yiseul’s face takes him back for a moment. “Oh, okay.”

It wasn’t that she wasn’t smiling. In fact, she offered a smile and a wave as she headed out…, but it seemed forced.

“Maybe I’m thinking too much,” he mutters to himself before walking back to his room.

***

“We heard you’re losing another dorm head.”

They have been trying to ignore him– as Yiseul had recommended. But, it was hard to pretend the eyesore who had made himself comfortable on their couch in the common area wasn’t there.

“Jongdae, why aren’t you more useful with your free time?” Jisoo casually asks without looking away from her laptop at the table. 

“And we aren’t going to lose her,” Junhoe corrects as he retakes his seat across from Jisoo. “At least not for a little while,” he says underneath his breath. 

“You know what that means, right? She was drawn in by the perks of the job and then found out it wasn’t worth it,” Jongdae continues. “Isn’t this like your fifth or sixth dorm head in just one semester?” 

“Shut up, dude.”

Having a look around, Jongdae realizes something. The West wing appears to be actually bummed out by the news. They never seemed to be bother by the switches before. To be honest, he has heard from his own dorm head and other residents of Touchstone dorms about Yiseul. That maybe she was here to stay. She had a knack for handling the wild West wing. But, yet, it has ended the same way as it did many times before. 

He snorts. “Do you actually think she cares for you guys?”

The whole room consisting of, Junhoe, Jisoo, Yunhyeong, and Seunghoon silently look up at him.

“I mean, she does a lot for being a person that wouldn’t care about us,” Yunhyeong finally breaks the silence. 

“Are you serious? Like what?” Jongdae reacts in doubt.

“What’s your problem? And you say we’re annoying?” Seunghoon sighs. 

Unbothered by Seunghoon’s comment, Jongdae quits his lounging and walks over to observe the residents. 

Well, that’s new. 

“What the hell is going on?” he asks. “Are… you guys studying?”

Jongdae grows unsatisfied with their dull reactions and diverts his attention elsewhere. The entire time he has been here, something on the shelf near the windows has been catching his attention. If he didn’t know any better, it was almost as if there was a tank hidden underneath the blanket.

“What’s that block over there?” 

“None of your business,” Jisoo retorts. 

Despite Jisoo’s response, Jongdae takes a single step in the ‘block’s’ direction. His curiosity getting the better of him. 

“Don’t even think about it,” Junhoe says aloud from his seat.

Jongdae freezes and turns to face the residents to find them all staring at him. 

***

Taking a look at the selection of snacks, Yiseul quietly tries to make a choice. 

“Found you.”

Yiseul turns her head and finds Jennie peeking around the corner of the aisle with a smile on her face. The girl had texted her to ask where she was. Yiseul didn’t think Jennie would be so quick to get to the small mart in walking distance from the university. 

“Why were you looking for me?” Yiseul asks. 

Jennie shrugs. “Just haven’t had lunch together in a while.”

Yiseul smiles. 

“Oh! That’s right,” Jennie says as she remembers something. “I should mention that Junhoe’s birthday is coming up.”

“How soon?”

“In a week.”

Yiseul doesn’t answer right away, “Hm.”

Due to the tamed response, Jennie wonders what’s on her mind. “What’s wrong, Yiseul?”

“I’m thinking about what he would like.” Junhoe will most definitely throw a fit if it isn’t comparable to Jinhwan’s birthday. 

“Ask around, I’m sure some of the others would know.”

“Okay.” 

“There is one thing I would say though, if it isn’t extravagant, I think he might actually cry,” Jennie adds with a chuckle.

Yiseul smiles along before directing her attention back on the snacks. 

After a moment, Jennie gets impatient. “Yiseul, they’re all the same. Let’s grab one and get to lunch!” she says with a laugh. 

***

“Huh?”

“What’s with all these snacks?”

The group of residents stand in front of shelf that the wide range of snacks shared with Darwin and his tank. 

Jennie walks further into the room and the answer comes to mind. “Who else would buy you all snacks?”

“Dorm head?” they repeat with confusion, “But, why?”

“We can ask her ourselves,” Donghyuk says. 

“Dorm head!” Junhoe calls out loudly. 

A few of the residents nudge him, but he knew that if he gave her a few seconds, he would hear her room’s door open and close. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter