Chapter 2: The Faster She Gets it Back, the Better

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

What an unconventional way he chose to welcome her.    

Yiseul presses the red button beside the lock before a voice comes over the small intercom. 

“Yes?”

“I’m locked outside.” It wasn’t her doing but the boy was no longer around for her to blame. “Can you please let me in?”

“Your name?”

“Lee Yiseul – the new dorm head for the West Wing.” 

There was a bit of silence before the unknown male voice comes over again, “…are you kidding? They found a new one already?”

That’s beside the point. “It’s kind of cold out here…,” she gently says while bouncing up and down to keep warm. 

“Oh, yeah, sure.” The door clicks open with the green light flashing beside the swipe lock. “No one would lie about being involved with the West Wing.”

“…Thank you.” She supposes. 

Meeting the warmth of the inside, her cold body shivers. She eyes the two signs that points in separate directions. Seeing how the boy headed towards West Wing, she can assume she’ll run into him. Ideally, before she gets hungry. With her room number in mind, Yiseul enters the elevator and presses the button for the second floor – the highest level in the building. 

To describe the place in simple terms – it’s ordinary. The place is longer than it is tall, the wing wasn’t very big, and each room was fitted for doubles. 

So…eighteen kids were enough to make the dorm head quit? Must be a spectacular bunch.

Arriving, Yiseul drags her suitcase inside. Her eyes land on the white envelop sitting on her desk, sitting out like a sore thumb. Slipping the luggage off her shoulder, she takes the envelop and pulls out the little note – 

 

Center Body, West Wing, and East Wing’s dorm heads will report to Center Body’s common area at 4 PM. 

 

***

Peeking inside the designated common area, Yiseul eyed the large number of rowdy students. There were three groups – obviously separated depending on their living locations. 

There is a loud group, another loud group, and then there is a 'louder than loud' group - for lack of a better word.

“Where’s your dorm?”

In front of her stood a young man. “Huh?”

“Are you from the East Wing or…?”

Oh. “West Wing.”

“Then, you’ll be with that group over there,” he kindly points her in the right direction. Predictably, it's the 'louder than loud' group he points at.

“Well, I’m – “

“We’re getting started soon, so you should hurry and grab a seat – where is the West Wing’s dorm head? Did the school hire a new one?” He shoots the question over his shoulder.

Yiseul diverts her eyes over to find a rather second intimidating individual. 

Actually, the guy in front of her was no different. There was a feeling of authority. A feeling that Yiseul lacked. It was this moment right here that she truly understood the meaning of possibly getting chewed up. 

“I’m the West Wing’s dorm head,” Yiseul interjects.

As soon as the words came out of her lips, the guy snapped his head around so fast she thought he may have gotten whiplash. 

“…You are?” He asks to confirm.

She nods. 

“For West Wing?” 

She nods for a second time.

He hums in thought, “I was expecting someone more…”

Before he could finish his thought, the intimidating guy behind him makes his way over, “I’m Kim Jisoo. East Wing’s dorm head.”

Yiseul shakes his hand before the other young man takes her hand afterwards. “Nam Joohyuk. Center Body’s dorm head.”

“My name is Yiseul.” 

“Since we’re all here, we should start now.”

Whatever he thinks, she’ll go along with it. She’s the newbie, after all. She watches as Joohyuk raises his hands to clap for their attention. Slowly, the many conversations die down and his voice rings out into the room.

“Welcome to the second semester – “

Yiseul looks at her group, silently counting the students who showed up. From what she could see, there were a few missing. 

“Yiseul?”

Joohyuk whispers her name and it stirs her from her silent thoughts. She looks at him, dumbfounded.

“Introduce yourself,” he gently urges.

Right. “My name is Yiseul. I will be the new dorm head for the West Wing this semester.”

The reactions ranged from boredom, to surprise, and finally, hilarity in response to her introduction. None of which really bothered her. She has seen them all by now.  

“We’ll move onto rules,” Joohyuk leads the orientation.

The next twenty minutes involved Jisoo and Joohyuk reading off their expectations for their residents and while Yiseul tried to figure out what she should tell her ow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter