Chapter 36: The End to Excuses

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If only people were more honest with each other. 

Possibly, being more understanding of each other as well.

Today, Yiseul awakens to find the West wing in chaos… so, basically, it’s normal state of existing. The only thing that surprises her at this point is the fact that they’re up earlier than her. Sitting up in bed she stares at the door, listening to the noises on the other side before starting her day.

Upon leaving her room, the hallway is still crowded with the residents running back and forth. They’re as loud as ever, but she finds Hanbin’s sneezes may just beat it. Walking towards him, he doesn’t have a chance to greet her as he’s busy blowing his nose into a wad of tissues. His supply appears endless as he reaches into his pockets for more. 

“Geez, I’ve only ever seen you sneeze like that around animals and dandelions,” Bobby comments as he tries his best to avoid the splash zone. 

Hanbin groans and through a sigh, one can tell how congested he is. “It’s just this wing–,” he doesn’t get to finish saying before another sneeze escapes him. “Yiseul, let’s head to class together,” he sniffles.

“We don’t ever walk to class together,” she says without much thought as she passes him.

“We walk home together, so what’s the difference?” he responds as he turns back around towards the elevators.

“Hanbin, I thought we were skipping today because you were sick?” Bobby asks.

“How do you expect me to stay in this wing after this?” He points to himself.

“But, you’re sick. You’ll be sick anywhere.”

“Something tells me it’s this wing.”

Bobby shoots him a strange look. “Fine. We can go to your–,”

The elevator opens and Hanbin urges Yiseul in first as he follows behind. “See you later, Bobby!”

Yiseul dips her head out to look at the boy before she completely enters. “Please go to class, Bobby.”

From beside him, Hanbin looks as if he’s in a rush to get to the main doors. Yiseul doesn’t blame him.

“Oh, much better,” Hanbin sighs in relief as the two greet the cold outside. It’s still freezing and snowing, but it beats the feeling of suffocation.  

Yiseul peers at him. “So, you’re sick again?”

“Not sick. Just under the weather.”

She doesn’t know the difference, but lets it go. Wrapping the yellow scarf tighter around her, she hopes she wouldn’t end up like Hanbin. They draw closer to the building their class is usually held in and a call of Yiseul’s name causes her to look over her shoulder.

Mina starts jogging towards her and while Hanbin says he would see her inside. Any second longer out in the cold, he may just end up in worse shape. Nearly out of breath, Mina straightens out her backpack straps once she’s in front of Yiseul. 

“I was trying to call out to you when you were walking with Hanbin, but you didn’t hear me,” Mina says with an awkward smile. 

“The wind can get loud.”

“Right, the wind.” Mina breathes in and looks to the ground. “You didn’t respond to any of my texts.”

“I meant to.”

“But, you didn’t.”

“Was it an emergency?” Yiseul asks. There were a ton of messages and calls, but none really needed her attention right away. 

“Does it have to be an emergency for you to respond to my calls or texts?”

Yiseul doesn’t answer.

“Does there have to be a reason for me to want to speak to you or hang out with you?” Mina asks once more, appearing more riled up. 

“I thought we agreed that you would only contact me if there was an emergency?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter