Chapter 4: Resident Trivia

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Standing in the kitchen at the counter, Yiseul casually pours herself a bowl of cereal along with milk as the loud noises in the hallway continue on in the background. 

She woke up at 7 AM.

The ruckus promptly started at 7:45 AM. 

Fifteen minutes before morning classes would begin. The various voices mingled with the sounds of rushing feet across the wing. Keeping to herself, she focused on getting started on her breakfast. 

Suddenly, someone sprints into the kitchen and dives for his cabinet. Yet, when he unlocked it, he was met with mostly empty space. As if remembering that he hadn’t exactly brought his food yet, his hand reaches up to smack his own forehead. 

Turning around, Yiseul and him make uncomfortable eye contact.

Feeling the spotlight on her, she slides her untouched bowl of cereal forward. 

Not believing his assumptions, he walks over hesitantly.

“Wash the bowl when you’re done,” she says before grabbing a granola from her cabinet and locking her stash back up. 

Taking her word as permission, he hurriedly stuffs his face. With his mouth full, he could only nod his head in agreement. 

Grabbing her backpack off of the counter, Yiseul leaves the kitchen and starts down the crowded corridor, bumping into some of the residents as she did so. No one really minded with their attention focused on getting ready last minute. 

“Whoa, dorm head.”

Yiseul staggers backwards as she comes face to face with Junhoe – her eyes glance over his bare upper body and down to a mere blue towel covering his modesty. Stunned, she forces herself to look up at his face.

A sound of disgust hits the air and Yiseul looks over Junhoe’s shoulder to see Jennie with a grimace upon her features. 

“What, Jennie?” He shot at her.

“Do you need to ask?”

“Yeah, since I don’t see a problem.”

“Yeah, well, you’re blind to a lot of things…like how Yiseul is now after running into you.”

He presses his lips together, unable to provide a retort and looks to Yiseul, “dorm head?”

What did he want her to say? “...My eyes are still working, it’s okay.” Stepping around him, she catches the elevator just before it could close.

“Good morning.”

Hearing the greeting, she looks up to find Jisoo waiting inside. “Good morning,” she offers back while taking her position beside her. 

“I hope you’re prepared,” Jisoo says.

“For class?”

Though Jisoo’s expression doesn’t alter, Yiseul notices the hint of amusement in her gaze. “For life at Touchstone ‘cause God knows I’m not.”

***

Taking her seat in the big lecture hall, Yiseul looks down at her planner that held her schedule. If she hadn’t gotten lost the first day of the new semester, this should be the principles course. 

And the class of 50 minutes carried on without surprises. Something that she is completely content with. Touchstone dorms has that department covered. 

***

Munching into her sandwich, her phone buzzed. 

An e-mail notification tempts her and she opens it without much hesitation to reveal it to be from a professor asking the whereabouts of a person named ‘Kim Jinhwan’. 

“Hey, Yiseul.”

Looking away from her screen, she finds Jennie taking a seat across from her. The young woman places her bag down beside the legs of her chair to start on her lunch. 

“Jennie, you have break now?”

“Yeah, it’s one of my many breaks,” she answers with a chuckle. 

Returning her attention on her phone, Yiseul decides it doesn’t hurt to ask, “did Kim Jinhwan move in?”

“Kim Jinhwan?” Jennie repeats, pausing in her chewing. “Yiseul, there are a wide variety of people at West Wing…,“ she begins to say before making up her mind. “How about I give you a rundown on the residents – a cram session?”

Leaning forward, Yiseul voices her interest on the offer.

“Let’s start with the juniors – Mino, Seunghoon, Jinwoo, and Seungyoon,” Jennie begins. “The one you’ll be most troubled by is Mino – boy parties too much for his own good.”

“How often?” 

“Like basically every day but Monday…he recovers on Monday – I don’t know how he hasn’t failed out yet to be very honest.”

Nodding her head, Yiseul makes a mental note.

“Then, there are the sophomores – Bobby, Junhoe, Jinhwan, Yunhyeong, Donghyuk, Chanhyuk, and Jaewon.”

That’s quite a bit to remember now. 

“Bobby is your usual happy-go-lucky kinda guy, Junhoe is oblivious to his surroundings, Jinhwan is someone you should probably just leave alone, Yunhyeong has this huge crush on Rosé and thinks no one else knows – let me tell you, it’s painful to watch. Donghyuk is hilarious, figurative language goes right over his head, Chanhyuk has a little sister complex, and Jaewon is a flirt – and to confirm, it’s annoying.”

“…I’m not sure if I can remember all of this.”

“Stay together, Yiseul. There’s more,” Jennie chuckles, “we have the freshmen left.”

With a nod from Yiseul, Jennie continues.

“There is me, Jisoo, Lisa, Rosé, Suhyun, Chanwoo, and Hayi.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter