Chapter 11: Oddball Out

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Good morning,” Yiseul mutters into her cellphone.

Before her alarm had gone off, a call came in. Placing it between her pillow and her ear, Yiseul snuggles deeper into her comforter.

“Were you up studying late?”

“Yes,” Yiseul answers. “I had some homework to catch up on.”

The sound of her mom chuckling comes over. “Did you bite off more than you can chew? I’m sorry about how things turned out.” 

“Not at all.” Adjustments just have to be made. 

There is a moment of silence as her mom thinks of what to say before the words finally reach her. 

“Mina told her parents that you haven’t been spending time with her as much since you switched dorms.”

Slowly, Yiseul’s eyes open and she breathes, “I’ve been trying my best.”

“Her parents are worried that there is no one there to watch over her,” her mom continues gently. The older woman was never one to blame Yiseul for anything. She was understanding and Yiseul knew that this conversation was anything but accusatory. 

“Mina knows to call me when she needs anything.” If she wasn’t awake before, she was now. “Are you having a hard time?”

“No! Of course, not!” Her mom chuckles again before it subsides. “They just– they want to know that their daughter is safe.”

“If it makes them feel any better, Mina is not alone. She has lots of friends.”

“But, they don’t know about her condition.”

“I don’t think they would ignore it if any problems came up.”

“I know, Yiseul. But, if you can, check up on Mina once in a while.”

***

The large lecture hall gets fuller as the time for class to begin draws closer. The seat beside her that was once empty is now taken by a female student. A few minutes later, a gentle nudge comes from the same direction.

“Excuse me.”

Yiseul turns to look and a familiar face stares back at her. An old hall mate from before she transferred to Touchstone dorms. Like the other hall mates then, she was always closer to Mina and her and Yiseul only ever shared a few greetings if they passed one another on the floor. 

“Hey, Yiseul,” Hana says with surprise. “I didn’t know we had class together.”

She didn’t either.

There was a hint of embarrassment… or maybe it was hesitation before Hana voiced her request, “Do you have an extra pen on you? I must have left my only one in my last class.”

With a small nod, Yiseul slides her pencil case over for Hana to take her pick. 

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” Yiseul says before turning her attention back on the front of the class. 

Their conversation ceases for the rest of the class. There may have been awkwardness but Yiseul doesn’t sense it as she didn’t think twice about the silence between the two. They both leave, their footsteps matching with the other as they follow the rest of the students out into the hall at the end of class. 

“Yiseul, do you want it back?” Hana asks before they would part. 

“You should keep it; you may need it again.” Yiseul says and walks away first. 

A few steps down the hall and Hana calls out for her, “Yiseul!”

She stops and looks back at the young woman. It appeared as though Hana had something on her mind or something to say but in the end, she merely offered a dismissive response.

“Never mind.” She grins. “But, thank you!” she says with a little shake of the pen in the air. 

Yiseul smiles back and she looks away to find someone in her path. “What are you doing on campus, Hanbin?” Last thing she heard from her residents was that he hasn’t completely recovered yet and hadn’t moved an inch out of bed. It may have something to do with the lost bet also. 

“Looking for you,” he responds, his voice hoarse from possibly coughing all night. “What’s the point of a phone if you don’t use it?” he asks.

“I don’t play on my phone in class,” she answers straightforwardly. “You could have waited back at the dorms.”

“I actually can’t. I have another quiz in about two hours.”

Why was he telling her that? Hanbin isn’t the type to update her on these matters of his and he could sense her silent questioning.

“Since I did well on the quiz in our cla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter