Chapter 35: Be One with the Residents

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Caught you.”

Jinhwan snaps back to find Yiseul staring blankly at him. Understanding the situation, he snatches the taped poster off the wall of their dorm building’s bulletin board to crumple within his hand.

She did doubt it at first because who knew Jinhwan would openly freeze in the hallway just to look at a picture of a baby otter. 

Good thing she gave it a shot.

“What?” he snaps at her.

She places her hand out. “Can I have my phone back, please?”

He looks at her strangely before pulling out her phone and placing it into her palm. “Why would you ask nicely?”

“In case you wouldn’t give it back,” she answers truthfully.

“By the way, someone named Mina keeps messaging nonstop. It was annoying.”

Yiseul looks down to find Jinhwan’s words to be true. Countless calls, voicemails, texts–,

The front entrance to their building opens and Jinhwan takes his leave immediately. Yiseul looks up to greet Yunhyeong with a smile before also turning away. She should probably figure out what Mina needed.

But, she notices Yunhyeong standing by the door and she stalls in her movements. “Did you need me, Yunhyeong?”

“Ah– no,” he says with a chuckle.

***

Of all the twenty texts that Mina sent, not one exactly revealed the reasoning behind Mina’s bombardment. While scrolling through the rest, the screen suddenly blackens to reveal an incoming call. The flashing name forces her to answer it without a second to waste.

“Hello?”

“Have you seen Mina?”

“Not today, Mrs. Kang.”

Silence comes from the other line and Yiseul freezes. 

“Have you not been able to reach her, Mrs. Kang?”

“That’s not it– I’ve been wanting to speak to you but, I wanted to gather my thoughts first.”

Yiseul remains silent. 

“We’ve seen her recent exam grades… did you not help her study?”

“I tried my best to help her prepare for it, Mrs. Kang.”

“Did you? Or are you more focused on these ‘new duties’ of yours?” The older woman’s tone suddenly turns accusing. “I heard from Mina that you’re some type of head for a dormitory now.”

“Yes, I took the job.”

“Did Mina pass on the message about us paying for your school expenses again?”

“Yes, she did.”

“And?”

Yiseul finds her resolve suddenly shaking and all it takes is to hear this voice. She takes a silent breath upon feeling herself faltering. “I felt there was no need. This position takes care of my expenses and I’m enjoying my time as a dorm head but, I won’t neglect Mina.”

“I want to see better exam results next time and answer her phone calls.”

Yiseul hears a click, bringing the curt conversation to an end. Looking up, Yiseul suddenly remembers that she’s still standing in the hallway. Her eyes move from one room to another to find the doors shut– hopefully no one heard–,

Looking to her right, Hanbin stops beside her. 

She begins to open to possibly steer the conversation but, he beats her to it.

“Want some ramen?”

***

Yiseul felt a little lost.

For one, she finds her mind still quite muddled after the phone call with Mina’s mom and two, if that’s the case, why did she agree to meet Hanbin in the dorm’s kitchen? 

She looks over to see him still at the stove with his back towards her as he finishes up boiling the ramen. He hasn’t said a word and she’s certain he must have overheard the conversation. Anyone would ask but, she didn’t feel like answering. 

“Be careful, it’s hot,” Hanbin says as he sets the small pot between them on the table.

Unlike the first time they had ramen together, he is the one who fills her bowl and hands it to her this time.

“Thanks, Hanbin.”

“Sure thing.”

Silence settles and the two dig into their quick lunch. 

“Are you done for today, Yiseul?” he asks.

“That’s not what you wanna ask, right?” she responds with a question. 

He looks up and smiles. “I’m sure you don’t want me ask what’s on my mind.”

“I don’t.”

“Then, you don’t have to talk about it.”

True to his words, Hanbin doesn’t pressure her or try to trick her into revealing what she wanted to keep hidden. 

It was strange to be comforted by mere silence, company, and ramen.

“Thanks, Hanbin.”

“Dorm head.”

The two look towards the doorway and Yunhyeong greets them with a shy wave.

“Do you need me, Yunhyeong?” she asks him for a second time.

“Actually, yes, I do.”

Sitting across each other at the kitchen table, Yiseul waits for the boy to begin after Hanbin gives them privacy. She doesn’t exactly have an inkling of what this could be about. 

“So…,” he starts.

“Yes?”

Making up his mind, he decides to just come out with it. “Last night at the bar… do you know the guy Rosé was talking to?”

Huh? What guy? “I think either

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter