Chapter 23: Morning Surprise

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Thanks!"

Following his words, Yiseul could see the grin on Joohyuk's face even as he struggles to bring the cardboard boxes in. She makes sure to keep holding the entrance door open until he's completely inside before letting it shut to avoid the blistering wind. 

With a groan, he sets the two stacked boxes on the ground before straightening up to stretch his back. 

Joohyuk looks over his shoulder in her direction as he takes his gloves off. "Have you seen any of my residents?"

She shakes her head and he sighs. 

"They were supposed to meet up with me to help me with these things."

"Do you need my help?" she offers. 

"I wouldn't bother you with it," he answers. "It's someone's birthday and they should be the ones helping," he mostly mutters to himself. 

She grows silent but keeps her eyes on him.

"Is there something, Yiseul?" Joohyuk asks when he notices how quiet she suddenly got. 

"You throw birthday parties?"

His lips stretch into a smile. "Yeah, it's something that I got into doing for the residents. Jisoo does something similar for his own as well."

"And they enjoy it?"

"Yeah?" He chuckles as he supposes. "I think so but seeing how they aren't here to help, maybe not so much," he jokes. 

Right after he mentions it, Yiseul notices the small group heading towards him and he turns to look. 

"There you guys are!" 

***

From the table in the common area, Yiseul takes a look at the time. Two hours in and she's still alone. Seeing how everyone was quick to be up in arms about her last e-mail about the study hall, she doesn't see why they wouldn't have seen her most recent e-mail about the times she decided on. Though, she expected the lackluster response… a part of her had a bit of hope that at least one person would show up. 

And, upon seeing their grades, she thought they would be worried. 

Sudden footsteps moving down the hall gathers her attention. She waited quietly, hoping those same footsteps would grow louder to indicate that the individual was heading here. And lo' and behold, Donghyuk appears. 

A small smile starts to form on her face-,

"I forgot my notebook in here the other day, did you happen to see it, dorm head?"

She presses her lips together, smile quickly fading and shakes her head. 

He scratches his head. "Maybe I left it in my class then." And with that, he leaves. Ignorantly blissful. 

***

Hanbin moves closer to the wall as the school building's hallway becomes crowded with students moving to their next class. Searching over the numerous heads, he tries to seek out the one person he was waiting for. Busy with his task, he didn't notice a group of three settling against the wall across from him at first. He nearly overlooks them until a familiar voice draws his idle attention. 

"Thanks for waiting."

"Did your exam go well?" a voice asks. 

Hanbin's eyes land on Mina as she nods enthusiastically to answer the girl's question while looking down at a small packet of papers in her hands. 

Another girl leans forward. "Maybe it's because you have less bad luck in your life." 

The inside joke causes the first girl to chuckle. "Yeah, things are going your way now that you don't live with her anymore."

The smile on Mina's face remains even as she looks up, causing her eyes to meet Hanbin's. "Hey, Hanbin."

He offers a small smile as a greeting while wondering if she's concerned that he may have overheard their conversation just mere seconds ago.

"Were you waiting long?" Bobby appears beside the boy.  

"Not really," he responds before the two make their way down the rest of the hall to catch break together. 

***

"Did you find anything interesting in your room today?"

Yiseul stops in her chewing and stares back at Junhoe across from her at the two-person table in the food court. "What do you mean?" It seems he is up to something again. This time though, she isn't sure what it is. 

Junhoe leans back into his seat. "You found nothing?"

She gives a shake in uncertainty. Surely, whatever it was couldn't have been overlooked. When it came to Junhoe, it would defin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter