Chapter 52: All Hands on Deck

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Shakily, Yiseul walks out of the cafeteria. That was so out of character for her and the aftershock is finally setting in. She doesn’t immediately hear the footsteps following after her at first due to the adrenaline. 

If it’s Mina, she isn’t so sure if she can even show a calm demeanor. 

Spinning around in the hallway, she finds Hanbin to her relief. As their eyes meet, his movements halt. 

He greets her with a smile. “How did that feel?”

She looks down at her hand. “Well, it was warm and comforting–,”

Flustered, he interrupts, “I didn’t mean… that ‘part’,” he inhales. “I meant, saying what you wanted.” Doing what she wanted. 

She sighs. “Feels… unresolved.”

His bottom lip juts out. “Well, I’m sure the whole situation is more complicated than just deciding whether to stay for lunch or not.”

She supposes so. Things are slightly more complicated and what she had done in the cafeteria was just the start. 

“Why didn’t you get angry?” he asks.

Her answer still hasn’t changed since the last time she answered Jinhwan. “Getting angry doesn’t solve anything.”

Getting angry steals from a clear mind. It will make her say things she may regret or even amplify the problems. 

“Well, are you ‘fine’?” 

She nods with a half-hearted smile. “For now.”

***

Antsy, Yiseul plays with her fingers as the dean quietly looks over the students’ transcripts from their recent exams. Even Jisoo and Joohyuk are quiet while sitting on either side of her at the table. 

After a moment, the dean sets the sheets of paper to the side and places her attention back on the three dorm heads before her. Immediately, they stiffen as they await with unease, unaware of what may follow. All three of them are mindful of how Touchstone is viewed. It was like they were walking on thin ice. Things can take a turn if the dean isn’t impressed with them. 

“I have no complaints.”

The silence that greets her words makes Yiseul uncomfortable. She’s waiting for the laughter and the announcement that her words are a joke. But, it never comes and the trepidation worsens. 

“Touchstone have done great on this round of exams overall,” the dean continues with a lively smile. “Given there are a few outliers, but that’s to be expected.”

Jisoo and Joohyun share quick looks of relief between the two of them.

“West wing as well?” Yiseul leans forward to ask while almost afraid of the answer. 

“Yes,” the dean brightly looks in her direction. “You have led them well, Yiseul.”

Hearing the compliment, she releases a breath. “They’ve all worked hard.”

***

“We have to hit the carnival games first.”

“The haunted mansion!”

“So, are you all really showing up to my basketball game?”

“What about the food? There’s going to be a few student-run cafés.”

“Doesn’t matter as long as you make time to watch the concert.”

Jennie sighs. “Is Yiseul going to have fun?” 

Why is she suddenly doubting herself? Maybe because this is truly their last chance of convincing Yiseul to stay. What if this isn’t enough?

“This will work,” Suhyun announces. “For sure.”

“The stars are in our favor,” Jinwoo adds. 

Jennie curls strands of her hair behind her ear and makes up her mind. “Where’s the team to keep Mina away?”

Hanbin, Junhoe, and Bobby raise their hands.

The sight of the three boys brings a smile to their faces. There isn’t a better team than the pranksters. 

“Okay,” Jennie breathes as she looks at the time. “The dorm head meeting should end soon and Yiseul will be on her way back.”

***

After returning yesterday, Yiseul had passed on the messages of compliments from the dean, but no one seemed to care all too much. They merely went about their day like usual. 
So, she accepts the fact that maybe she’s the only one excited about the results. 

Though today, they all seem to act differently. 

It all started with Jennie opening her door in the early hours to wake her up. No one usually wakes up earlier than her on the weekend, but here Jennie is. 

Sitting up in a start, Yiseul blurts, “What happened?”

Jennie blinks in confusion. “Nothing happened, why?”

Yawning, Yiseul stares back in just as much confusion. “Oh. Good morning, then.”

“Do you remember what day it is today?”

“The April Carnival.”

Jennie breaks into a run and darts into the room. With a wide grin, she jumps onto Yiseul’s bed. “Then, how are you still sleeping? The day starts now.”

From the first moment she opened her eyes, Yiseul had Jennie stuck to her side to accompany her from getting ready to when she hurried out the door towards the carnival. Paired with a light jacket and waterproof boots, Yiseul found herself in the company of the girls of the wing. Watching the excited expressions on not only Jisoo, but also Hayi had Yiseul smiling along. How they contained this level of delight to study for their exams is a mystery to her. 

Taking in the sights and smells, everything appears to be a new experience for Yiseul. From popping balloons with darts and to squirting water guns– she had only seen and not played herself. 

“Get me the teddy bear, Yiseul!” Rosé chattered while bouncing up and down. 

Nonetheless, the smile she received from Rosé when she handed over the small prize would have matched a smile she would have gotten in exchange for a teddy bear.

“It’s so cute, Yiseul!” she gasps as she cradles the turtle keychain. “Reminds me of Darwin.”

“Jinhwan has one to match as well,” Yiseul responds.

“Jinhwan does?” Rosé remarks. 

“Won’t Yunhyeong get the wrong idea?” Jisoo whispers over to Jennie. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter