Chapter 57: It Feels Like a New Beginning

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Standing at the bus stop with few of their things, Yiseul and her mother share a look before her mother chuckles and reaches out to gently touch her daughter’s head.  The older woman didn’t know how to explain where the urge came from. Maybe it’s because she suddenly feels so light.

“Don’t look like that, Yiseul. We came this far, so let’s just run with it.”

Yiseul nods her head.

Her mother sighs. “It feels surreal.”

For years, the two of them felt like they were tip-toeing around each other. Miss Lee felt like she was doing her best for Yiseul and while Yiseul couldn’t talk to her mother in fear of the blame and distrust. All of that just suddenly ended in a day. 

“They robbed us of years,” Miss Lee continues. “But, the feeling I’m experiencing now is unbeatable.”

“If only I had said something,” Yiseul says softly. 

“If only I had done something,” her mother says before she notices something else. “Yiseul, it’s like you’re a different person.”

Yiseul smiles. “I feel different. Do you think they’ll be okay?”

“They had years to heal, Yiseul,” her mother says. “It’s our turn now.”

It’s true that Mrs. Kang had leaned on the both of them for a long time. Things are going to change now whether anyone liked it or not. Both parties will soon embark into the unknown. 

***

That night, the two of them spent the night in the sauna. 

Watching Yiseul take charge, her mother couldn’t hide her surprise. “You’ve been here before?”

“I went once with friends.”

“Friends?” 

Lying on the warm floor and with boiled eggs filling their stomach, Yiseul and her mother stare up at the ceiling.

“Yiseul, tell me about your friends.”

“They’re my residents from Touchstone,” she answers. 

“Good friends?”

Yiseul smiles. “Great friends.” 

“I think they’ve had an influence on you,” her mother remarks. 

“What makes you say that?”

“Well, Mina clung onto you for years and there’s no way you learned anything from her,” her mother bluntly reasons. 

“My residents must be worried.” She had left the dorm with a single note. The dorm head status seemed up in the air since she didn’t have a chance to tell them she wanted to stay. She even avoided them during the days leading up to break. 

“You’ll return to school soon and you can explain it to them,” her mother answers. “Let’s promise to be honest to ourselves from on.”

Yiseul turns to her mother and smiles. “Should we look for some places to move in?”

Her mother leans in closer as Yiseul pulls up a website on her phone. Scrolling through their options, time passes quickly and soon only their hushed voices can be heard through the large space. 

***

Dressed for the weather bright and early, the duo walked arm in arm to check out some of the places they had picked out the night before. 

Arriving at their fifth apartment, Yiseul watches her mother for the fifth time asking the very same questions about the home. Maybe this is where she gets the meticulous personality from and the thought makes her smile. 

Standing off to the side, Yiseul yawns when her buzzing phone steals her attention. Answering the call quietly, she finds herself feeling self-conscious yet again once seeing the name on the screen. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter