Chapter 10: Surprises Come at Night

Welcome to Touchstone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Slowly, Yiseul has started to realize the quirks that everyone in the West Wing had. 

Just now, she unfortunately learned Jennie’s.

Following just four rounds, name-calling became a casual behavior, threats were thrown back and forth, and the deck of Uno cards have ended up on the floor twice already after being chucked at one another. 

Yiseul realizes then that the spirit of sportsmanship isn’t too popular. 

“You, jerks! How could you do this to me?!” Jennie shouts while the table bursts out laughing. 

They finally got their payback. 

A few seconds ago, one by one, everyone started to carry out their turns and has sent Jennie spiraling with violent competitiveness when she finds herself defenseless in the face of the ‘draw 4’ cards. 

“You might as well take the whole deck!” 

“Pick up the damn cards already!” 

Yiseul sat back and watched the scene unfold. She gets to witness firsthand how contagious the desire to win is.  

“Jisoo, don’t dish it if you can’t take it,” Jennie warns as she grudgingly picks up the cards. Her hand becomes so full that she couldn’t even hold her cards properly. “You’re finished.”

Lisa has left long ago after keeping her word of an hour and the common area has gone from girls laughing with one another to them shouting at each other with each following round. 

“Whoa– whoa,” the exclaim comes from the entrance and interrupts the lively atmosphere. 

Everyone immediately snaps their heads over to see who is brave enough to disturb their game. Hanbin is there, leaning up against the doorframe and rubbing his temples.

“Hanbin, your complaint is irrelevant,” Jennie retorts. “You don’t even live in this wing.”

“The noise is giving me a headache,” he mutters.

“You having a cold is your fault… what are you doing here anyways?”

“You’re going to spread your germs everywhere and no one can afford to get sick, Hanbin,” Jisoo adds.

“Seunghoon invited me over for games,” Hanbin responds. The rest obviously done nothing to improve his congestion.  

“Seriously?”

His eyes open up to stare at Jennie. “What?”

“It’s always the same. Seunghoon always beat you and you return sulking every single time.”

“You’re the one to talk,” he retorts. “It’s tame in comparison to you. You’re screaming at everyone here.”

“We’re having fun,” she remarks. 

Someone starts coming down the hall and Hanbin turns his attention on the individual. Seconds later, Seunghoon’s face peeks in. “So, this is what all the noise was,” he comments before adding, “Do you guys want to join?”

The girls fall silent.

“Come on, Jennie? I know how competitive you are.”

“So?” She narrows her eyes in his direction.

“I know how to make it fun.”

“How?”

“Punishments for the losers.”

Yiseul looks between them– wasn’t this supposed to be girl’s night?

***

“Everyone knows Overwatch?”

“Not everyone knows how to play that, Grandmaster,” Jennie mocks Seunghoon. 

“Well, Mario Cart is always the safe option.”

Stepping into Seunghoon and Jinwoo’s room, Yiseul didn’t know where to stand. While the others took up space on desk chairs, the beds, and the floor, she was left near the door. 

“What are you doing, dorm head? There’s no reason to be uncomfortable,” Seunghoon chides while ushering her to take a seat on the floor in between Hanbin and Jisoo as Jennie is still on her feet trying to figure out the punishment. “So, bikinis for girls and shorts for boys?”

“Of course, you would like that,” Jennie remarks. 

“I’m sure Rosé understands me,” he winks in the girl’s direction.

Rosé gasps at the insinuation. “Are you calling me a ert?”

“I dare you to say I’m wrong.”

“You’re wrong!” 

Seunghoon waves her off. “Are you scared, Jennie?”

She chews the inside of her cheek before making her decision. “Bring it.”

“Well, let’s wait a minute–,” Yiseul attempts to restart this conversation but it’s useless as everyone’s attention is suddenly focused on the television set with the familiar tune filling the room.

A snort comes from beside her and she turns to look at Hanbin. “The moment Jennie agreed to this bet, there was no talking reason to her,” he says. 

“I can still leave and do my homework, can’t I?” she asks blankly.

He merely smiles and shakes his head. “You agreed the moment you step foot into this dorm room.”

Yiseul looks for Jinwoo. Surely, Jinwoo wouldn’t want to be a part of this bet–,

She spoke too soon.

The first player from the boys’ team is none other than Jinwoo. So, he can’t help but get caught up in it as well. Yiseul had thought about it once– competitiveness is contagious. 

“Jisoo, you have to win!” Jennie insists. “They need a taste of their own medicine.”

“Jinwoo says his stars are in alignment and that makes him unbeatable,” Seunghoon remarks. 

“I don’t plan on getting a cold like Hanbin,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter